Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Cattiva73
CF Senior Member
 
Cattiva73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.

My 1973 vette did not have a spare tire nor a spare tire assembly when I got it...I hear it's a safety addition from Chevy to add protection in case of an impact from the rear.

What do you think?

I don't care for the tire I have rode side assistance..nor for the perfect look but I'd like to make the vehicle as safe as possible.

If safer ...what's going to take to install/add a spare tire?
Can I install the tire with only the Y bracket without the actual upper/lower carriers?..those things are expensive!

Thank you guys
Cheers

Last edited by Cattiva73; 02-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Cattiva73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattiva73 View Post
I hear it's a safety addition from Chevy to add protection in case of an impact from the rear.
Not really. The spare is where it is because there isn't any other place to put it. For no reason other than mass, I suppose there might be a tad of shock absorbing use from the spare. Remember: the spare is under the fuel tank and not between the tank and the rear panel.

The steel beams in your doors are impact protection.

Easy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Cattiva73
CF Senior Member
 
Cattiva73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
Not really. The spare is where it is because there isn't any other place to put it. For no reason other than mass, I suppose there might be a tad of shock absorbing use from the spare. Remember: the spare is under the fuel tank and not between the tank and the rear panel.

The steel beams in your doors are impact protection.

Thanks EasyMike,
I guess my concern is the gas tank being hit and brake ..you say the spare tire does not protect anything?
Cattiva73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
John 65
CF Senior Member
 
John 65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Middlesex Cty. N J
Default

I dont know how much safer it makes the car, but its a fairly ez install, and if you do add one you want all the componets for it. That Y bracket is attached to the tub, which is hung by 2 rods in the front that bolt in under the car. The other end of that bracket gets supported in the back by hooking on to a threaded rod which is raised and lowered for access to the tire. To me, it just looks more complete with it back there, besides the obvious reasons to have it. After its in, make sure there isnt anything coming in contact with the exhaust. One good thing with it missing is it sure does open things up down there and offers plenty of room to work. Good luck.
John 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Alan 71
CF Senior Member
 
Alan 71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Westminster Maryland
Default

Hi C,
I agree with Mike.... the spare tire is too low and too loosely mounted to offer any protection from a rear hit.
I actually think the rear of the car looks a bit odd without the tub. It's probably just what I'm used to.
Regards,
Alan
Alan 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
80Baby
CF Senior Member
 
80Baby's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Surrey British Columbia
Default

I gotta go with Mike on this one. The spare tire carrier wasn't designed to be a safety device, but it probably would add some cushion in a low impact collision. With that said, there's guys who don't have the carrier on their cars just to save a bit of weight. That should tell you how effective it is in the unlikely event an accident.

As for me, the carrier sitting between the exhaust pipes is "pure" Corvette. It doesn't look the same without it.
80Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
birdsmith
CF Senior Member
 
birdsmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Temecula CA
Default

It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Is it crude? Of course, but that's why it's there.
birdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Cattiva73
CF Senior Member
 
Cattiva73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsmith View Post
It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Is it crude? Of course, but that's why it's there.
Could I use just the Y bracket to hold the spare tire in place?
Cattiva73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
billcarson
CF Senior Member
 
billcarson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: nassau co. new york
Default

it also gives our cars that perfect balance that we all enjoy.
billcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Mike Ward
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Ward's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: about an hour away from Paul74 in Ontariariario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsmith View Post
. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...
Sorry, false. The spare is not retained in a manner secure enough to achieve this. In a collision it will get shoved forward/sideways snapping off all three retaining bolts.
Mike Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
iwasmenowhesgone
CF Senior Member
 
iwasmenowhesgone's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsmith View Post
It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Is it crude? Of course, but that's why it's there.
I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.
iwasmenowhesgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
c3nashvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
c3nashvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: LI NY
Default

The spare tire location was the same since the introduction of this chassis in 1963. I am quite sure when the spare was positioned between the tail pipes below the gas tank it was because of the physics involved in filling the tank from above and removing the spare tire from below. Absorbing impact energy was not a consideration for engineers in 1963.
c3nashvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
Cattiva73
CF Senior Member
 
Cattiva73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Default will it fit?

Anybody knows if a spare tire V bracket from 1967 Corvette is the same length of the V bracket from a 1973 vette?

Will this C2 bracket fit a C3 chassis?

Thanks
Cattiva73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
Procrastination Racing
CF Senior Member
 
Procrastination Racing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Ocala FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattiva73 View Post
Could I use just the Y bracket to hold the spare tire in place?
No.

It most likely would fall out. The bracket isn't stiff enough to hold the tire or wide enough, unlike the steel bar on pickup trucks. The bracket was just there because they didn't know how to put a load on fiberglass at the time. The fiberglass tub wasn't thick enough to handle it by itself. This is 17 years because fiberglass springs occurred and they hadn't figured how to create a load point on fiberglass.

Watch the swap meets, eBay, and Craigslist. They come up time to time.
Procrastination Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Sids04
CF Senior Member
 
Sids04's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Yardley Pa
Default

Ironically my 73 is also missing the spare tire carrier.. I am not sure if I am going to bother replacing it or not..
Sids04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
Raphiki
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Raphiki's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Palatine, Peoples Republic of Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Raphiki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone View Post
I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.
Could have done this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Raphiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
my 76 ray
CF Senior Member
 
my 76 ray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Hinckley OH
Default

If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.
my 76 ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
540 vette
CF Senior Member
 
540 vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: Commack NY
Default

If you are worried about getting hit in the rear of a plastic car maybe you should look to drive something else.
If byou get hit hard enough in any car you are going to get hurt.
540 vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
ugadog
CF Senior Member
 
ugadog's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Default

I’m having a hard time imagining that a spare tire could offer any significant “protection” in a crash. I think the people starting these rumors have spent way too much time in the bumper cars at the amusement parks.
ugadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
ugadog
CF Senior Member
 
ugadog's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 76 ray View Post
If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.
Love it!
ugadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adding a spare tire to a spare delete car?? GonHuntin C4 General Discussion 7 06-13-2013 01:05 AM
What the heck is going on??? Spare tire wheel well donbayers C1 & C2 Corvettes 16 06-03-2013 09:13 PM
Have you ever checked your Spare Tire? Retxpres C4 General Discussion 33 04-02-2013 02:45 AM
Birdsmith - weight reduction Snoopysvet C3 General 4 03-19-2013 06:21 PM
spare tire question 96 Elrick C4 General Discussion 2 09-22-2012 09:48 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Emails & Password Backup