Sponsored by:

starter wires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default starter wires?

i'm putting on new engine harness, everything is hooked up except 4 wires going to starter....one bigger cable(to battery post?) two smaller wires (one each to smaller terminals on solenoid?) and one ground wire that i assume goes to frame somewhere?

This is a 68 427 car....can someone tell me if i'm on the right track, and which of the smaller two wires go on which terminals? where would i be looking for pre-drilled hole in frame for the ground wire to go to, or does it ground to engine somewhere? thanks, Rick
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by razman
i'm putting on new engine harness, everything is hooked up except 4 wires going to starter....one bigger cable(to battery post?) two smaller wires (one each to smaller terminals on solenoid?) and one ground wire that i assume goes to frame somewhere?

This is a 68 427 car....can someone tell me if i'm on the right track, and which of the smaller two wires go on which terminals? where would i be looking for pre-drilled hole in frame for the ground wire to go to, or does it ground to engine somewhere? thanks, Rick
You don't list the colors but should be:
Large "0" gauge cable is main hot on solenoid - not part of harness.
Red wire with large lug also goes to main hot on solenoid.
Small black ground wire with large lug goes to starter mounting bolt at nose of starter - grounds blower, wiper, etc.
Yellow coil wire goes to the "R" terminal
Purple start wire to "S" terminal

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 02-08-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by razman

See if this helps

Mooser

OH, and just to make things worse, IIRC the S and I terminals are not always in the same place so you need to see the markings not just use the location

Last edited by Mooser; 02-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

I have also seen the big blk wire go to the closest bellhouse bolt,
Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks guys, and i think everyone is saying the same thing here, but just to make sure:

battery cable already in place,

larger harness cable goes on top of battery cable, (same post)

black is a ground wire (ground to starter, frame , or engine

yellow small wire to R on solenoid

purple small wire to S on solenoid.....

right? sheesh, i've done this dozens of times in the past, but it's been while, and i certainly dont want any surprises when i turn the key for the first time! thanks, Rick

Get notified of new replies

To starter wires?

Quick Reply: starter wires?