Sponsored by:

Jack stand and lifting my C3

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
makosilver72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack stand and lifting my C3

Please help clarify something - I have searched this forum looking for how to lift my C3 and where to place the jack stands. I am finding lift here, not here, I do it this, not that way. Open doors, release T-tops, dont lift one side before the other. My mind is going crazy. Please help. I am going to do a caliper rebuild and want to get one end of my car up (front then rear) at a time. Raise the front do the repair then drop and raise the rear. Please help me, I dont want to damage the body or suspension. Yes, the crossmember has been dented by someone priror to me.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the frame is very rigid on these cars and when jacking my 72 up I place the jack at the frame area directly below the front of the door. When lifting it in the front the frame is so rigid that you will even get the rear up when doing it this way. I place the front jack stand just forward of the door and the rear jack stand just forward of the rear wheel. I then move to the other side and do the same only lifting the car higher than the other side and secure the jack stands. Then move back to the other side and make it even. If just doing the front you can use the cross member especially if it's already dented. Then for the rear use a piece of 2x6 or what-not and place under the spring mount.

hope that helps,

Sully
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m72,
I jack one side and then the other. I do it in stages until the car is as high as I want it.
I leave the doors closed and the roof panels in place.
The Chassis Service Manual shows the locations for jack stands to be just in front of the rear kick up (under the rear edge of the doors), and where the frame rail straightens out just behind the front wheel well.
(I put the front stands much further forward... right at the bushing mounts for the front sway-bar. I find they're not in the way as much as I work under the car).
Be careful! Don't knock the car off the stands.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
makosilver72
Advanced

Thanks for the notes. Planning the caliper process this weekend.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi m72,
I jack one side and then the other. I do it in stages until the car is as high as I want it.
I leave the doors closed and the roof panels in place.
The Chassis Service Manual shows the locations for jack stands to be just in front of the rear kick up (under the rear edge of the doors), and where the frame rail straightens out just behind the front wheel well.
(I put the front stands much further forward... right at the bushing mounts for the front sway-bar. I find they're not in the way as much as I work under the car).
Be careful! Don't knock the car off the stands.
Regards,
Alan
What he said!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
makosilver72
Advanced

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what jack to use?

I want to get the car up and level to change manual transmission fluid. I am thinking of backing it onto ramps at the rear and then putting the front on jack stands. Problem is my floor jack handle can't go high enough to pump with the jack so far under the car. If I would cut the front two feet off the car, the jack would work great. However, I fear that might reduce the look and value of the car. Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are pics of mine on stands

Old 06-16-2014, 02:27 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WillardMoose
I want to get the car up and level to change manual transmission fluid. I am thinking of backing it onto ramps at the rear and then putting the front on jack stands. Problem is my floor jack handle can't go high enough to pump with the jack so far under the car. If I would cut the front two feet off the car, the jack would work great. However, I fear that might reduce the look and value of the car. Any suggestions?
I wouldn't try backing the car onto ramps.... but that's just me. I have driven forward up on ramps and then jacked up the back end and put jack stands under the rear (on the side rails in front of the rear wheels) to level the car.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I wouldn't try backing the car onto ramps.... but that's just me.
Ramps are an inanimate object. They don't know if you are driving onto them in forward or reverse, so it makes no difference.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WillardMoose

Any suggestions?
No need to chop anything except time to lift the car onto your jack-stands.

I built a couple of drive on ramps with some leftover 2"x8" wood scraps. Wood-screwed them together and added a bump stop to one. Used a chunk of railroad tie for a stop on the other side and voila... instant front crossmember height to get the floor jack under.

Easy-peasy.

I also use a piece of 2"x4" scrap to add another inch-plus, when lifting at the crossmember.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustup7T2
No need to chop anything except time to lift the car onto your jack-stands.
Thanks Dustup7T2! That sounds like a great idea. And I just finished a deck project so scrap lumber is plentiful.

Get notified of new replies

To Jack stand and lifting my C3

Quick Reply: Jack stand and lifting my C3