Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Space saver spare on the C3

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM
johnnyw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Space saver spare on the C3

I have a 71 convert. and it has none of the spare tire tub or bolts or any of the stuff that you would put the spare tire into that is still on the car. Has anyone mounted a space saver spare under there car just to at least have a spare just in case? I was thinking it should be easy to fabricate a way to hold it up under the frame out of sight. Just wondering.
Thanks
Johnny
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. You have the security of a full spare without having to lug around a full size space. I've thought of doing the same thing since I have aftermarket wheels that are different sized front and rear. I would most likely try and match the rear tire diameter.

You should hit the local pull-a-part and let us know what you find.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just use a can of fix-a-flat. If it is worse than that will fix, I'm waiting on a flat bed to take me home.

To your question, as long as you make sure the spare is big enough so nothing bottoms out or rubs, you should be good.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can find all the parts to replace the factory tub. You can run a full sized spare that way if you want to.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I have researched this as I wanted a lightweight spare that had to clear my 13" brakes.

I found that the 98-01 F-body (Camaro/Firebird) spare works great. It weighs less than 30 lbs (stock wheel is ~50 lbs I think). The bolt pattern is the same as the C3. It just barely clears my big brakes.

Best part is that they are available for cheap from salvage yards. I got mine off ebay for $30.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
I have researched this as I wanted a lightweight spare that had to clear my 13" brakes.

I found that the 98-01 F-body (Camaro/Firebird) spare works great. It weighs less than 30 lbs (stock wheel is ~50 lbs I think). The bolt pattern is the same as the C3. It just barely clears my big brakes.

Best part is that they are available for cheap from salvage yards. I got mine off ebay for $30.

Thanks for the tip! I was just pondering the same thing as my 74' has nothing!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
johnnyw
Instructor

Now that's just what I was hoping for in the way of information so we can all see if there's a way to have a spare and not have to spend the cash for the tub and all the fixin's that go with it. I bet you can make it where you wont even see the little baby tire under there.
Johnny
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The only problem with not having the tub is what do you do with the flat tire after you put the spare on? You don't want to leave your nice wheel on the side of the road?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
johnnyw
Instructor

The only problem with not having the tub is what do you do with the flat tire after you put the spare on? You don't want to leave your nice wheel on the side of the road?
Your'e right, I did think about that and I guess I would just set it in the passenger seat if no one was with me and if someone was I would strap it or tie it on the back end just lond enough to get to somewhere to get it fixed or replaced. As suggested earlier by another member I would definetly have a can of GreenSlime with me as well. But maybe what ever setup you have to hold the spare could hold the fullsize tire.
Johnny
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
spot99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once again, y'all can color me stupid. If you have a posi-traction rear, doesn't a smaller tire
diameter make the diff work harder to compensate, thus wearing out our favorite gears faster?
I don't know but I've always run the same "size" tire on the back of my glass car. When a rare flat would occur, I'd start swapping front to back to make things even in the butt end.
Educate me.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
johnnyw
Instructor

Originally Posted by spot99
Once again, y'all can color me stupid. If you have a posi-traction rear, doesn't a smaller tire
diameter make the diff work harder to compensate, thus wearing out our favorite gears faster?
I don't know but I've always run the same "size" tire on the back of my glass car. When a rare flat would occur, I'd start swapping front to back to make things even in the butt end.
Educate me.
Your'e maybe right about all that, I wouldn't be planning to go very far and certinly not very fast. I would also use the slime first if that looked like it would work. The spare would only be for a worst case in my view.
Johnny
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

That's correct. You would want to find a tire of same diameter as the others. Width doesn't matter as far as burning the clutches in the limited slip.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
johnnyw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
That's correct. You would want to find a tire of same diameter as the others. Width doesn't matter as far as burning the clutches in the limited slip.
That's good info, i guess it shouldn't be to hard to find a space saver spare in my sorta stock size but some folks with big ole tires might have a hard time.
Johnny

Get notified of new replies

To Space saver spare on the C3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Space saver spare on the C3