Sponsored by:

Bringing my '81 back to life

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
rene040269
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bringing my '81 back to life

Hi guys, i have followed this excellent forum for a while as a viewer but finally my status has changed to a Corvette owner, and i couldn't have been more proud.

I am a 44 year old (young?) engineer living in the Netherlands/Europe and always wanted a Vette, the years '80, '81 and '82 have my special interest.

Although i have never owned a C3 before i was looking for a project car to start with because of the initial financial setback and the fact that i love working on a car, perhaps even more than driving it.

But project C3 Corvettes are very rare in Holland, and even the most banged-up/smashed-up/molested wreck will sell for top money so i prepared for a long search.

But a while ago i did find an '81 almost in my backyard. The car was definately a project car with a lot of work to be done but hell, it was the car i was looking for and......it was for sale.

I have the car in my garage now and it may cost me all my free weekends for the next years but i will bring this baby back to life.

It has been heavily neglected and hasn't run in 3 (or more?) years, engine is probably seized and under the hood it seems that someone has junked all the computer stuff but it will run eventually.

Meanwhile i can use the help of all the experts over here. I'll try to post as much pictures and questions as i can and i do hope you guys can help me trying to rescue this beautiful piece of history.

Thanks, Rene
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad to see that you found "The One" and you got to get it. Good luck on your 80! I have a 1972 that is all original and has sat buried in my garage since 2010. I had a 1975 that had sat since 1977 that I sold in January 13. Like you, I will be working soon to get my C3 back on the road. I however have been building my 1970 428 Ford Mustang for the previous 4-5 years now and that car takes my time and money. But I need get the 72 Vette on the road again before April 2013 as there are sever al show circuits that I really would like to attend. I hope to see lots of photos on the car and with us best of luck. I too will post photos of my 72 during the engine rebuild and the progress to get the car on the road again.

Brandon
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Welcome to the insanity! I probably will not be able to help much as mine is a computer-free 1970 but I'm sure there are many who can! Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
rene040269
Racer

Thanks,

I will throw in a couple of pics to show the condition it is in now on starting point. Some issues are not so bad, some issues are worse, but i have learnt to be optimistic.

I simply assume everything is crap, so any part that turn out not is a positive thing

What do i have:

I know Holland is famous for all kinds of drug abuse but what the heck was the former owner smoking when he decided to put this interior in....

OMFG

There is something missing under the hood, according to the paperwork its an '81, but this engine is not original.

So a lot of work but also a lot of fun.

to be continued for the next couple of years.....
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the seats are outstanding!!! the motor is a replacement motor from chevy.... But the seats!!! I want them..
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tyancey00
the seats are outstanding!!! the motor is a replacement motor from chevy.... But the seats!!! I want them..
If you want the seats, you'd better take the matching door trims, for the sake of continuity!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No offense but was the previous owner in the circus? That interior is "unique."
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
ironwills76corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome aboard. We are the same age....

Nice looking car, I'm glad your going to bring her back!!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Congrats , I was going to comment on how nice the body panels Ect line up and overall the car looks pretty good then BAM.... That interior!
What the hell??
Seriously , good luck man. She's gonna be awesome.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Don't assume the engine is seized because it hasn't run in 3 years. Squirt some lubricant through the spark plug holes and turn it over by hand with a wrench on the balancer bolt.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Outwardly it looks like a good car. If I didn't see that interior with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed someone would do anything so awful to a vette. Anyway there is a lot of knowledge here, you will get your questions answered here. Good luck with your 81.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

welcome. you have a nice starting point. start to make a list of things that you will replace (interior) or restore. focus on making it road worthy brakes, suspension etc. Tyancey00 is right it is a replacement engine and looks like all the pollution control as well as the CCC parts have been removed. But hey you have an '81 vette with a 4 speed. not a bad place to start.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

the interior doesn't scare me. Just think of it as its better than torn and broken interior pieces. I bet you that with a few cans of the interior dye from willcox, those seats and door panels will look like new. I would take that interior over a ripped up one any day. Just be glad that the po didn't get around to having the car painted!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i will bet the motor runs no sweat! Squirt some juice in the spark plug holes and let it sit over night. then new plugs and new gas and oil.... make sure you change the oil and get rid of the bad gas!
I have a set of seat cushons i would trade you out! they are sand color i think they call it doeskin... i have an 80 so they are the same... I dont have any extra door pallels or i would take those too. The seats would be fun!
I forgot where you are... the trade would cost more than new seats! shipping would kill us... cool anyway!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I also think its doubtful that the motor is seized. I used to have a lot of cars sitting outside in a field and even after several years none of them had seized. The only car the motor seized in was one I took the hood off of and rain water got down the carburetor.

That interior is a gas! It'd be great to sit in there if you were high on LSD.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
pokey1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cars too new for that drug induced sixties interior. Otherwise nice find. Good luck with it. Aint nothing a little time patience and money cant fix.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
rene040269
Racer

I apologize for this rather stupid question but i don't have an owners manual (yet) so i am not familiar with some of the buttons and ***** in my new beauty.

On the left side of the steering column i find 2 levers, one for the tilt function of the steering wheel and the other one i assume for my turning lights, and on the right side i find the ignition key, the key release lever but what is that little black **** on the right side of the steering column?

Get notified of new replies

To Bringing my '81 back to life

Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I'd guess that would be your emergency hazzard flashers.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Yes,that's your hazzard light switch.
This looks like a really fun project.
Definitely keep the interior!
I would recomend following the advice above with regard to seeing if the motor will actually turn over.
Also, check for rust near the body mounts now. It's important to know how solid the car is before you start throwing money at it.
If you decide to go forward, get your manuals first. They will be invaluable!
Good Luck and welcome to the club!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
rene040269
Racer

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Didn't know about the hazard light switch. I have purchased an '81 AIM from ebay but i also have to buy an instruction manual because i don't even know how the light switch works or where the jack is supposed to be....I guess i will learn in the progress.

I have noticed that the original engine is gone, but the Goodwrench 350 GM crate engine will probably do the job. I know the former owner has driven this car almost 17 years before he parked it away for some years so everything should be working, it will probably need some help. I have also seen that the CCC stuff is ditched, the pollution control crap is gone and the air intake shroud to the radiator is gone, along with the hot air intake plumbing.

So far for originality, this means i don't have to worry anymore about matching numbers and keeping it all original because it will never be anymore...

i will remove the covers to reveil the body mounts to check them. The chassis shows some surface rust but nothing serious, so i have good hope the car can be turned back into a runner without draining my wallet. The body lines and door gaps are very straight and i see no problems with the visual part of the birdcage, so perhaps this turns out an even better deal than i thought.

And i WILL get rid of that stupid interior, even if i have to rip it out with my own teeth....my god what an awful color combination....

Last edited by rene040269; 02-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Bringing my '81 back to life