Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Value Guide

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
LowMiles
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for Value Guide

Hello, I am looking for a value guide, price of cars sold or auction prices realized for a C3 survivor. Low miles. One with 64K and one with 40K. Both 2 owner cars. One is for sale the other now needs time to think about selling it.

How much value difference is there for survivor coupes without A/C vs w/A/C

I spent all day online and just can not find anything close to compare to these 2 cars.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 AM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This might get you started...
http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go to the Mecum website and sign up and you can read auction results going back several years.
You only have the auction description to go by but it should help some.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

The answer you are searching for does not exist online. I was a real estate appraiser for 15 years and spent many hours researching and crunching numbers, on each individual assignment, before coming up with my "opinion of value." The 2 minute online Zillow estimate is a complete joke. County assessment garbage in...garbage value out.

With a collector car, there are way too many variables in the equation that can affect the true market value. Buyers of certified "Survivor" cars are willing to pay more...if they are correct, unrestored and somewhat rare to begin with. Otherwise, old cars that still exist can vary greatly in value...depending on how great the lack of maintenance and whether Bubba has been there. People can assign numbers 1 thru 5 for condition...in their opinion...but that means squat, both in market value and cost to repair.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
LowMiles
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, I had gone to Mecum and searched archives, searched NCRS driveline archives for sale, etc. Hipocars1, Thanks that helped a little,found one not real close , but added perspective. It's another place to bookmark and keep checking. Faster Rat, Thanks I have come to the same conclusion. I can find restored cars that are same or close. But originals with 40K +/- are hard to find. I have been through the past 4 NCRS Drivelines for sale ads and found a 3rd car I would be interested in right in between these two and lower miles. I think I will have a WTB AD coming out this in March in the Driveline. At least there I know many have already been judged. I am willing to pay the premium for that original low miles and realize I may never get it back. But I plan as a lot of us do to keep it forever. I just had a life saving kidney transplant ( my wife donated) and this new life I want to enjoy. They say you only live once, That not really true. transplant patients get a second life and a fresh start. Thanks everyone and please keep the replies coming. I want to so this will be archived and may help others in the future.
if anyone is interested here is a link to my story.
http://www.helphopelive.org/find-a-p...D30393DA7812C6

My kidneys were scarred from taking Ibuprofen without enough water or food for many years. I now read every label!

Last edited by LowMiles; 02-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If I understand correctly, you're looking for a low mileage unrestored car. There's not many of those to start with as compared to restored, and the condition of those few varies from just above scrap value to almost priceless. That's why there's no value guides around.

If you do find the ideal car what are you going to do with it?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi LM,
One of the situations an owner of a" Bowtie Star Award" car, or a "Survivor Certificate" car, can find themselves in, is that they don't WANT to drive the car, or CAN'T drive the car, without having to make changes to it that are contrary to the whole concept of "Historical Preservation"
I think having a Bowtie or Survivor car is a serious commitment, to a particular car, for the long run.
Thus, many owners who have a Bowtie or Survivor car also have another car that they can drive whenever they want to.
Just some thoughts for you to consider as you look at cars that might be in your future.
You might be looking for a good, drivable, mostly original, car rather than a Bowtie or Survivor car.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Lowmiles,

I am also looking and in your general area. Ebay completed listings can be helpful also, but prices are all over the place. Every seller seems to think they can get Barrett Jackson money for a ebay car. Mecum is my favorite source for nice cars as they seem to have pretty good examples of restored and original cars.

One of the two you are looking at the ask is way too high. But I plan to go see it anyway. I don't know the details of your other one. We share the respect for low mileage, well cared for cars.

Greg
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look online at NADA classic car guides and Haggerty classic car values. Best regards.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM
LowMiles
Advanced

Mike, It has become an evolving process for me trying to find a car that we can both enjoy. As stated in my story link my wife donated one of her kidneys. With that in mind she would love a daily driver, I am open to buying the right car when it comes along for me or her. We have worked out our options as she is fine if I find a real survivor, that would only be driven a from 200-500 miles a year. She will be happy with whatever I find for her even if it's not Corvette Convertible. I am thinking because she prefers a 4 or 6 speed. A late 70,s to 82 mid 50-60K+/- miles coupe or a nice C4 convertible. And whatever I find can be a NCRS judged survivor to what I find that is a nice car that I would really like to own. How lucky can a guy get first she saves my life and now if I want to buy any Corvette that I want and even if it is one I will not drive, I can.

I run WTB ads. I know you will all understand . When I see the right one , I will buy it. I owned and restored, preserved and driven daily drivers from C2,C3,and and C4 generation. There are a lot of cars out there I would be proud to own. It's hard to explain how my whole outlook on life has become with the life saving transplant. Dialysis gave me some time to really reflect on if I made it how I would live my new life.

Alan, I agree. I appreciate all corvette owners and what they do to reflect their dream vette. In the 80s I refused to repaint an Ontario Orange 72LT1 just to make a buck. I kept it original and lost money in the end. But a received great enjoyment knowing I saved another original Corvette.

I understand what I feel is my responsibility as a NCRS member and I feel I would buy and protect a low mile or original Corvette. This time I have 2 nephews 14 and 16 to pass the car to. Whichever one picks up my love for originality will get what I have someday. I would hope to pass it on so I could have one of them own it, maintain it and still be around to enjoy a day or two myself. So If I find one that should not be driven it will not be. I will find a second one that my wife and I can drive. I can be happy with a very low milage C3,C4 (especially a ZR1) that should be preserved or driven. I love them all.

Greg, Yikes! We are looking at the same car! I am a little different than most people when it comes to things like that. I had a close friend in the early 80's that was going to come with me to look at a 67 BB Convert on a sat morning. I had to work so he went down to look at it for me. When he called to tell I should buy it and I could tell that he loved the car. I told him to buy it for himself. I would find another. We both ended up with BBs and enjoyed them a lot. His ended up a driver. Mine ended up an original survivor. So Greg, it may come down to whoever sees it first. If you end up with it. I would love to see it or pictures someday. Maybe you could let me know if you ever have it at a show or event. I will find another. If you want to exchange contact info,( I just joined NE NCRS Chapter) I am not sure how to do that on this forum. Maybe we could help each other, with info on available cars in our area that are not yet publicly listed. And each other is not going to buy.

theblack vette, good leads. Sometime things are just to obvious to see clearly.

Thanks Everyone for your opinions and help. They are all appreciated.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Alan 71 hit the nail on the head. IF I do end up with getting my purchase. Pending sale going on now, I will eventually need to find a clunker corvette so I can drive it around and not worry about a bird pooping on it. They are easy to find!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LowMiles
Thanks for the replies, I had gone to Mecum and searched archives, searched NCRS driveline archives for sale, etc. Hipocars1, Thanks that helped a little,found one not real close , but added perspective. It's another place to bookmark and keep checking. Faster Rat, Thanks I have come to the same conclusion. I can find restored cars that are same or close. But originals with 40K +/- are hard to find. I have been through the past 4 NCRS Drivelines for sale ads and found a 3rd car I would be interested in right in between these two and lower miles. I think I will have a WTB AD coming out this in March in the Driveline. At least there I know many have already been judged. I am willing to pay the premium for that original low miles and realize I may never get it back. But I plan as a lot of us do to keep it forever. I just had a life saving kidney transplant ( my wife donated) and this new life I want to enjoy. They say you only live once, That not really true. transplant patients get a second life and a fresh start. Thanks everyone and please keep the replies coming. I want to so this will be archived and may help others in the future.
if anyone is interested here is a link to my story.
http://www.helphopelive.org/find-a-p...D30393DA7812C6

My kidneys were scarred from taking Ibuprofen without enough water or food for many years. I now read every label!
Hmmmmmm....looking through the last 4 driveline publications. I wonder if you happened to come across the car I am planning on getting!!!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LowMiles

Greg, Yikes! We are looking at the same car! I am a little different than most people when it comes to things like that. I had a close friend in the early 80's that was going to come with me to look at a 67 BB Convert on a sat morning. I had to work so he went down to look at it for me. When he called to tell I should buy it and I could tell that he loved the car. I told him to buy it for himself. I would find another. We both ended up with BBs and enjoyed them a lot. His ended up a driver. Mine ended up an original survivor. So Greg, it may come down to whoever sees it first. If you end up with it. I would love to see it or pictures someday. Maybe you could let me know if you ever have it at a show or event. I will find another. If you want to exchange contact info,( I just joined NE NCRS Chapter) I am not sure how to do that on this forum. Maybe we could help each other, with info on available cars in our area that are not yet publicly listed. And each other is not going to buy.

Thanks Everyone for your opinions and help. They are all appreciated.
Wayne,

I will send you a Private Message (PM) You can see a link to it in the upper right of the forum page just beneath your screen name. Hopefully we can talk on the phone.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Value Guide

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Value Guide