Sponsored by:

Protect-O-Plate Display Options

Old 03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Protect-O-Plate Display Options

I am looking for ideas for displaying the original Protect-O-Plate for my 1971 "Sparty" car when taking it to local shows. It is in rough shape and I don't really want to damage it further but would like to show it.
Anyone done this before and if you had success can you share your thoughts, ideas, pictures for me to consider? It is still attached to the New Vehicle Warranty and Policy on Owner Service manual as well.
Long shot I know but I thought I would ask.
Thank you and best regards,
David Howard
Name:  71 Protect-O-Plate Data.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  96.2 KB
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!!!!!!!!

I think I would find someway to preserve that document and put it in the safe. No way would I take it to local shows (that's just me).

My luck someone would steal it or I would lose it. Yes, I am a nut!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by theblackvette
WOW!!!!!!!!!

I think I would find someway to preserve that document and put it in the safe. No way would I take it to local shows (that's just me).

My luck someone would steal it or I would lose it. Yes, I am a nut!
I took it out of my safe to take this scan of the document, then I put it back in the fireproof safe. Maybe a good high quality photograph of it would work. Open to ideas.
Thanks for responding.
David
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
I took it out of my safe to take this scan of the document, then I put it back in the fireproof safe. Maybe a good high quality photograph of it would work. Open to ideas.
Thanks for responding.
David
Yeah, a good high quality photograph would work perfect. I am voting for that option. I can see it now. Some bozo with a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee is looking at the document and spills it all over it.

Oh, I'm so sorry!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Yeah, a good high quality photograph would work perfect. I am voting for that option. I can see it now. Some bozo with a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee is looking at the document and spills it all over it.

Oh, I'm so sorry!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!!
If someone, anyone, including me, spilled coffee on my document I am pretty certain I would get sick to my stomach and all over the leg of some poor bystander...not good
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'd go with a nice high res photo. That stuff if fragile and that much handling may rough it up.

My tank sticker is in a frame with UV glass and acid free paper which is stored in a filing cabinet
Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
John92LT1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good quality scanner/printer/copier would do the job nicely. I have made color copies of the kids' birth certificates on my basic Lexmark inkjet (for local youth sorts teams), and unless you feel for the embossed parts of the paper, they are spot-on.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:59 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Both good suggestions. I am working on scanning it now and see what I can come up with. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:59 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

When I display my '69. I often bring a binder that shows step-by-step restoration/reassembly pictures and close-ups of numbers. It also contains display items like original type brochures, documents, owners manual, Protect-O-plate, etc.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I like the idea of having a display book, good idea, thank you.
David
Old 03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I too like the idea of the binder.
I think having all the glove box items displayed with the car is an interesting presentation. Many people aren't aware of what was included in the owner's packet, or have never seen some of the items.
You do need to be careful that something doesn't disappear though!
Especially things like the key envelope, license screw envelope, and license plate frames envelope.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 PM
BeansWorld
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I definitely like the security of keeping original documents at home. I recently just scanned the original documentation along with photos of the restoration process. Which got me thinking...

Rather than the binder, I'm planning on making a book via the PC. Add text and personalize each page like my sister did for the last family vacation. These are available through ShutterFly etc, a simple
Google search will show many options. If you're PC savvy, use templates or create your own, crop pictures and incorporate text...a book should look legitimate for sure.

Then I keep only reproduction docs in the car, owner's manual etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

I like the binder because I like displaying the physical items like the protect O plate, the original owner's manual, the aged Chevrolet brochures and the cards and things that came in the car from the dealer.

I know its not very "digital," but I think people at shows find these real, actual items much more interesting than color copies of them.

Of course, I like actually speaking to people rather than texting them, so I'm a dinsosaur anyway.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't put anything of significance in a binder for the general public to 'play' with. It can only get damaged or "lost", if you do. If you feel that displaying that kind of stuff at anything other than a major meet/show is important to you, put together some kind of display case so they are secured and protected. You don't want any of that stuff just 'wandering off' when you get a hot dog or have to hit the restroom.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I will have copies of the book I published showing the restoration when I show the car, so that will be present and I have enough copies to display a few just in case someone gets sticky fingers. I didn't highlight a lot of the provenance paperwork in the book and maybe I should have, live and learn, so that is why I was asking about display methods for the materials. Here are some of the book pages which I posted in the Brands Hatch Green Barn Find post I started for this car.
I have all the books I need now or I would update them to add the other items. Maybe when I need a reprint. Anyway, good ideas one and all so keep them coming.

Name:  IMG_0036.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0037.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0049.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  67.7 KB

Thank you,

David Howard
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
I like the binder because I like displaying the physical items like the protect O plate, the original owner's manual, the aged Chevrolet brochures and the cards and things that came in the car from the dealer.

I know its not very "digital," but I think people at shows find these real, actual items much more interesting than color copies of them.

Of course, I like actually speaking to people rather than texting them, so I'm a dinsosaur anyway.
You sir have an amazing collection of original items. You are brave to have others going through that stuff. I hear where you are coming from. Items like that belong in a museum at home. I would be too nervous having that binder out of my sight. I would be afraid of some creep wanting to add a protecto plate to his collection or take it and put it up for sale on fleabay for a few hunded bucks. Best regards.

Last edited by theblackvette; 03-03-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
When I display my '69. I often bring a binder that shows step-by-step restoration/reassembly pictures and close-ups of numbers. It also contains display items like original type brochures, documents, owners manual, Protect-O-plate, etc.
That's a great idea but I wouldn't trust some of these car show people as far as I can throw 'em. I know of a guy who caught someone trying to steal his radio *****, and another's cig lighter. If these twits have the ***** to go after a dashboard piece, I can just imagine how big their ***** would grow to get their hands on such a photo album. When my car is at a show it's always in my sight.

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
I will have copies of the book I published showing the restoration when I show the car, so that will be present and I have enough copies to display a few just in case someone gets sticky fingers. David Howard
Imitation is the best form of flattery. Consider yourself flattered. Great idea.

You sir have an amazing collection of original items. ... I would be too nervous having that binder out of my sight. I would be afraid of some creep wanting to add a protecto plate to his collectuon or take it and put it up for sale on fleabay for a few hunded bucks. Best regards.

Get notified of new replies

To Protect-O-Plate Display Options

Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I spent about $15 at kinkos making color copies of all of my originals for a binder. No reason to risk losing the originals. I leave the binder sitting on the rear deck so people can see it.

Gary
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

AllC34Me...

Heck, with the "history" record you have, you should put it on a DVD and stick a small flat-screen player on the rear deck of the car. Set it up to take quarters for 2 minutes of 'show'. The crowd will love it and you may be able to pay for your gas when you take it out!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
AllC34Me...

Heck, with the "history" record you have, you should put it on a DVD and stick a small flat-screen player on the rear deck of the car. Set it up to take quarters for 2 minutes of 'show'. The crowd will love it and you may be able to pay for your gas when you take it out!
I would be nervous that someone would steak my coin box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Protect-O-Plate Display Options