Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68' tele steering column, horn question

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 AM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 68' tele steering column, horn question

just finished rebuilding my telescopic steering column, and have it all back together with new turn signal switch, cancelling cam, and horn contact and button....i did test the turn signal switch out (with Willcoxs "how to" ohm test) and it all checked out fine.

my question is about the cancelling cam...my old one used a rod/spring/retainer....but my new replacement turn signal cancelling cam is a bit different, and has a spring loaded rod already in place. AIM shows spring/rod and plastic retainer, but i don't know if i still use these parts with the different style cam??? also, is there a way to test continuity at the harness while pressing horn button to see if it is going to work properly? and one more thing...how do you determine how many shims to put in "as needed" for the horn button spacing? lots of questions, sorry, but would really appreciate any help you can offer. Rick

ps THANKS WILLCOX!!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a scan of a 1977-82 Corvette T&T steering wheel, horn parts, and telescope lock. The parts from the steering wheel back toward the driver are the same (or very, very similar) all the way from 1965 through 1982. What you need are sufficient shims #6 so that the horn contact #7 doesn't scrape against the lever (459083) when you rotate the lever to telescope the steering wheel. View A is showing that there should be a 0.10 inch gap between that lever and the upper horn contact.

If you do not have additional shims, you could stack very small washers on the horn contact bolts #7 to arrive at the correct gap. Don't forget that as you rotate the lever (459083) CCW, you are rotating the star screw and the lever is actually moving slightly rearward. So check the clearance with the telescope lever fully to the left (CCW).

The turn signal switch wires coming from the steering column end up in a curved plastic connector that attaches to the vehicle wiring harness. Disconnect the steering column connector from the body harness. The outside wires and contacts (from the vehicle wiring harness should be black on one end and white on the other. Count 8 contacts coming from the steering column from the white wire back to a black wire at the #8 position. That will be the horn contact wire.

There may be a pink wire and another black wire in the #9 and #10 positions, those would be the key buzzer wires. The black wire #8 is the horn ground. Check for a lack of continuity between the #8 black wire and vehicle ground. Depress the horn contact and the #8 wire should show continuity to ground. If the column is out of the car, you should find continuity to the steering column jacket or steering shaft when you depress the upper horn contact.

Jim
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM
razman
Drifting

thanks Jim for taking the time to provide this info, very helpful...since the column is still out of the car, i will check continuity as you described, my curved harness from turn signal switch has 8 terminals....(i know because i already did continuity test on 1-7 for turn signals and flashers...)

my other question was about this new turn signal cancelling cam, it already has some type of alloy rod pre-assembled in it that acts like a plunger (non-removable and spring loaded) so i wasn't sure if that eliminates the typical spring/rod/plastic retainer set up. Rick
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I really can't comment on the new turn signal switch with the plunger. From your description it sure sounds as if it just replaces the removable plunger and spring along with the plastic insulator holding it in place.
Jim
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 PM
razman
Drifting

that's what i'm thinking too Jim...just never have seen one that is more or less "all in one" vs a cam, spring rod, and plastic retainer that turns to lock into place. i will get multimeter out tonight and see what i get on continuity test. i have two shims above the lever and seems to be nice fit, lever does not drag on horn button assembly in any position. thanks for your help as always. i probably would have not gotten this column apart and back together without your input! Rick
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
razman
Drifting

Jim, just to follow up, i tested my horn button, and no continuity from #8 pin and steering shaft, BUT, when i press the horn button, CONTINUITY! apparently i have it all back together properly, new style cancelling cam kinda concerned me, but works fine. thanks for all of your help on this steering column rebuild, i really appreciate your taking the time! Rick

Get notified of new replies

To 68' tele steering column, horn question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68' tele steering column, horn question