Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:30 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

So I enjoyed trying out the new to me sand blasting cabinet. Although it appears I have 2 issues. 1) I need to rig up an adaptor so i can run my shopvac on the cabinet to keep the particulate down and 2) my very new 30g air compressor appears to be slightly undersized and may need to be upgraded in the near future. If i do that I will probably be doing a minor garage remodel to rearrange everything into a better work area.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:05 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3
So I enjoyed trying out the new to me sand blasting cabinet. Although it appears I have 2 issues. 1) I need to rig up an adaptor so i can run my shopvac on the cabinet to keep the particulate down and 2) my very new 30g air compressor appears to be slightly undersized and may need to be upgraded in the near future. If i do that I will probably be doing a minor garage remodel to rearrange everything into a better work area.
Put a few inches of water in the shop vac to collect the dust better.

Put a nozzle on the hose with a smaller diameter hole in it so the compressor pressure won't drop so fast.

Keep a 100W light turned on in the cabinet the night before you use the cabinet to remove moisture from the sand so it will blast better/keep the light on during blasting (your hands will sweat, but the sand will clean the metal faster)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by greendot
Was it a local Corvette guy that some of us might know?
So apparently I was mistaken. He had a '75 that he restored from a burned out car and was part of the CCCC in the 80's with my dad. Looked like a nice ride from the pictures.

Name:  y9R4SMnh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  ZLX0zF4h.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  113.1 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Actually did something on the project finally. A little sand blasting therapy this evening.

Name:  1yoeMahh.jpg
Size:  59.5 KB

This project may be kicking into overdrive soon. Trying to figure out a route to go and then we will be hitting the gas pedal on it.

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Wanna be
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually did something on the project finally. A little sand blasting therapy this evening.

This project may be kicking into overdrive soon. Trying to figure out a route to go and then we will be hitting the gas pedal on it.
If you need more therapy, I could send some your way.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Fresh Metal!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wanna be
If you need more therapy, I could send some your way.
Haha that's fine with me. I do need to figure out where to stuff a larger air compressor in my garage since my 30g doesn't quite keep up with large parts in the blaster. You still haven't been over to see the 68 at my house yet either.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Chuck- I've seen some of your posts on other threads and have enjoyed reading them. Tonight I sat down and read your thread all the way through! Way cool. I too inherited my '68 Coupe from my Dad, but it doesn't have near the history yours does. Absolutely love it! Keep sending the pics and letting us know how it goes. I have basket after basket of parts but not the warehouse you have. I still need stuff, but it is the small variety type thing for the most part, at least what I can tell. LOL. Will enjoy working with you and watching you.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Wanna be
Instructor

Haha that's fine with me. I do need to figure out where to stuff a larger air compressor in my garage since my 30g doesn't quite keep up with large parts in the blaster. You still haven't been over to see the 68 at my house yet either.
Just waiting for the invite. I have a new addition in my barn
Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Chuck, in the above post, do you mean NCCC insted of CCCC? Lou.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:58 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Chuck- I've seen some of your posts on other threads and have enjoyed reading them. Tonight I sat down and read your thread all the way through! Way cool. I too inherited my '68 Coupe from my Dad, but it doesn't have near the history yours does. Absolutely love it! Keep sending the pics and letting us know how it goes. I have basket after basket of parts but not the warehouse you have. I still need stuff, but it is the small variety type thing for the most part, at least what I can tell. LOL. Will enjoy working with you and watching you.
Thank you for taking the time to check out my journey. Sorry we both came into our 68s by losing loved ones. Would you believe that I usually end up buying a part if I need one. The wearhouse seems like it would be nice until you step back and realize the shear volume of work to even find one specific item.

Just waiting for the invite. I have a new addition in my barn
I'll text you in a few. That new addition wouldn't happen to be that war bonnet you were talking about would it?

Originally Posted by loup68
Chuck, in the above post, do you mean NCCC insted of CCCC? Lou.
No, CCCC was correct in that post. I should have been more specific. CCCC represents the Capitol City Corvette Club in Lansing Michigan in this case. Though it is one of the early members of the NCCC.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Nothing major tonight. I checked the rear differential for the build code. Looks to be 1 FA 12 16 68 W. That would be 3.70 ratio built 12/16/68, meaning it is not the original rear differential. Not a big deal for me.

Name:  HjmRzAfh.jpg
Size:  139.1 KB

I took some pictures of the frame last night for David (AllC34Me). We are discussing options for having my chassis built up by him.

I don't see any major issues as it sits, we will see after the body is removed. Ignore my trash on the garage floor, I havent had a chance to clean up around the car lately. There are definitely some nice spots on the frame and some that will need some scrutiny when the body is off.

Name:  QCRHvKQh.jpg
Size:  119.8 KB
Name:  uNarYhxh.jpg
Size:  122.0 KB
Name:  d1n2VPph.jpg
Size:  125.9 KB
Name:  faC9EN2h.jpg
Size:  124.0 KB
Name:  xAxieshh.jpg
Size:  112.7 KB
Name:  RCjtrt3h.jpg
Size:  125.4 KB
Name:  sthGHsTh.jpg
Size:  148.6 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:51 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Chuck, I will get you some information on the metal parts for under the body. Having worked on the 72 coupe and now the 72 racer I found a good source of those parts and they are close to you and affordable. I will show what I am doing to replace the badly rusted parts like those on the 72 for your consideration on the 68. Keep up the good and best regards,
David
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Hey rvzio. I was actually referencing this design.
I saw some reviews on the dolly you posted talking about it not being the right wish for a c3. I also liked the ability to remove individual supports to do any restoration work needed in the area the sit. The dolly you posted would require lifting the body to do any work along the sides.

Your pictures do give me a better idea for lifting the body off of the frame. We have an unfinished attached garage that I could use instead of building a frame. All I would need is 2 chain lifts, the straps and a board to distribute the load over multiple joists. All of have to do is move the '78 vette project out of the way.
Hey Chuck - did you ever decide which design if car lift did you decide on? As I am looking at it I am thinking of going with something liken unto Alan's because it will be higher and easier to get this old body in underneath to do the work without it being too tall. Just curious what you thought the benefits of the lower one are. Thanks for sharing you brain with us!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
Chuck, I will get you some information on the metal parts for under the body. Having worked on the 72 coupe and now the 72 racer I found a good source of those parts and they are close to you and affordable. I will show what I am doing to replace the badly rusted parts like those on the 72 for your consideration on the 68. Keep up the good and best regards,
David
I may do some parts cleaning my self. Not sure if I will have parts powder coated or just painted with por15 or a chassis restorer.

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Hey Chuck - did you ever decide which design if car lift did you decide on? As I am looking at it I am thinking of going with something liken unto Alan's because it will be higher and easier to get this old body in underneath to do the work without it being too tall. Just curious what you thought the benefits of the lower one are. Thanks for sharing you brain with us!
I ended up getting a body dolly from David with a 75 body purchase, so that will be the dolly I will use for this project as well. He may have specific plans.

Poor picture:
Name:  SxYK5WKh.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  120.3 KB

Nothing happened on the 68 this evening. I decided to research ending my poor sand blasting problem. I came across a Craftsman 60 gallon 6hp compressor on craigslist for $200 just a half hour after it was posted. I made plans to check it out and ended up loading it into the truck. That chewed ip 3 hours this evening. I have a leaky gasket to check out and I accidentally busted a connection on the top while unloading it at my house. Nothing lile venting 60 gallons at 60 psi at 9pm in a quiet neighborhood lol. Just need to rearrange the garage to find a home for it and get it fixed and all hooked up.

Name:  dCk5gEKh.jpg
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  f6TyBe3h.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 AM
Wanna be
Instructor

It's probably my fault that it broke because I wasn't there to help you unload it, right? Lol
Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 AM
chazde3
Drifting

It's probably my fault that it broke because I wasn't there to help you unload it, right? Lol
WellI wasn't gonna say anything, but...

Get notified of new replies

To Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I ended up getting a body dolly from David with a 75 body purchase, so that will be the dolly I will use for this project as well. He may have specific plans.

Poor picture:
Name:  SxYK5WK.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  1.09 MB

Funny you mention this Chuck, I had lifted the 72 Coupe Racer body off of a dolly I built at the same time I built the one you got with the 75. I was traveling to Europe so I just stood it on its side until I could get home and deal with it, which means it is still standing in my garage.

I designed these to be much lower profile and to allow me to carry a body on my low profile trailer. Easy to modify to raise the body higher if you want to work underneath the body. Anyway, if I can help anyone with pictures, dimensions, etc. be glad to send them to you and won't mess up Chuck's postings here, just PM me a home e-mail address and I can assist.

Best regards,

David
Old 01-23-2016, 12:12 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Thanks David!

So I got the fitting on the air compressor fixed tonight. I'm one 1/4 x 1/4 fitting short for swapping the quick connect over to the industrial style that all my hoses and tools and set up with. I'm also going to replace the old nasty regulator with a new one with a water seperator.

I also started taking down one section of my built in storage shelf for an area to put the new compressor. I'm also finally tossing out stuff that was put on the shelves when we moved into the house 2.5 years ago and hasn't been touched since then. We are definitely short on storage space in this house.

Before
Name:  QrwblUQh.jpg
Size:  113.0 KB

After, that upper shelf in this picture still has to come out.
Name:  wt0Q0vvh.jpg
Size:  98.0 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks David!

So I got the fitting on the air compressor fixed tonight. I'm one 1/4 x 1/4 fitting short for swapping the quick connect over to the industrial style that all my hoses and tools and set up with. I'm also going to replace the old nasty regulator with a new one with a water seperator.

I also started taking down one section of my built in storage shelf for an area to put the new compressor. I'm also finally tossing out stuff that was put on the shelves when we moved into the house 2.5 years ago and hasn't been touched since then. We are definitely short on storage space in this house.

Before

After, that upper shelf in this picture still has to come out.

Good use of a tight space Chuck. I know when I fire my compressor up my neighbors notice, but they don't seem to mind. They just told me once they say things like "wonder what David is working on now".
I have a neighborhood following, guys and gals, and get visits throughout the summer. Winter, not so much.
Keep it moving Chuck, looking good.
David

Quick Reply: Chazde3's '68 Vette Project