Sponsored by:

Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

I picked up a 69 rolling chassis that I have pushed aside for now so as not to distract me. A project for another time. LOL.

Thanks Chuck.

David[/QUOTE]

Your a glutton for punishment.

Jack.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Jack605
I picked up a 69 rolling chassis that I have pushed aside for now so as not to distract me. A project for another time. LOL.

Thanks Chuck.

David
Your a glutton for punishment.

Jack.

[/QUOTE]

I just love working on the chassis' and this one looked like a good one to play with so I brought it home. I'll share more on it later but for now, out of sight to prevent distraction.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
When you get it on display at Cobo Hall....how cool would it be to have the little toy displayed with the real one? I`d LOVE to have a picture of that!
I was born in Ann Arbor, grew up around there.... haven`t been to Cobo Hall in YEARS!
I think that can be arranged! The big one might be sporting a slightly different color combo though. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
I'd better get busy then. LOL. I will be back on the 72 racer next week and moving it forward with new fuel lines and roll bar installation. Time to get it in gear. (Pun intended).

Thanks Chuck.

David
Love following the build David. Hopefully I will see it in person at Carlisle this year!

I just love working on the chassis' and this one looked like a good one to play with so I brought it home. I'll share more on it later but for now, out of sight to prevent distraction.
And you do great work with them. Whoever's car winds up sitting on that chassis, whether yours or someone else's, it will be sitting on a perfect chassis.
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I'd better get busy then. LOL. I will be back on the 72 racer next week and moving it forward with new fuel lines and roll bar installation. Time to get it in gear. (Pun intended).

Attachment 48068928

Attachment 48068929

Attachment 48068930

Attachment 48068931

Thanks Chuck.

David
Trying to keep up with you David makes for much work and accomplishments.
And your positive attitude makes for a better day.
Thank you sir!

(Hey Chaz....sorry to jump into your thread but we both share in David's generosity).
Good luck with your continued project.

Dennis (Bman)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmans vette
(Hey Chaz....sorry to jump into your thread but we both share in David's generosity).
Good luck with your continued project.

Dennis (Bman)
No worries. And thanks!

So I luckily have a friend down in Texas right near where a member had a set of chrome Hooker headers, sidepipes and rockers for sale. I needed everything but the actual headers, so those will be posted for sale locally once they make it up to me here in Michigan. We also might be working out a deal on an L88 short hood. Hopefully my friend wont mind transporting that up to me as well.

T minus 342 days
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by chazde3
No worries. And thanks!

So I luckily have a friend down in Texas right near where a member had a set of chrome Hooker headers, sidepipes and rockers for sale. I needed everything but the actual headers, so those will be posted for sale locally once they make it up to me here in Michigan. We also might be working out a deal on an L88 short hood. Hopefully my friend wont mind transporting that up to me as well.

T minus 342 days
Same place I got the roll bar Chuck. Good find and good snag. Headers you have, now you will have the side pipes. Will you leave them chrome or media blast them and have them ceramic coated for the Toy? Looking forward to it no matter what you do.
David
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Same place I got the roll bar Chuck. Good find and good snag. Headers you have, now you will have the side pipes. Will you leave them chrome or media blast them and have them ceramic coated for the Toy? Looking forward to it no matter what you do.
David
I'm leaning towards leaving them chrome. I also worked out a deal for his L88 hood since he is going back to original, so looks like I'll have an L88 hood sitting over the L88 engine. That does mean I will need to either replace the wiper system that is currently missing, I have most of the parts in dad's garage for that, or go the FIA wiper door delete. I'm also pretty settled on the FIA/L88 headlights, just need to pick a source and purchase. I also plan on going with the motion style reverse 68-69 style gills and possibly the FIA front spoiler to fully embrace the racing restomod.

Edit: Oh and I think I settle on the original Rally Red with a black stripe that will mimic the layout dad had.

Last edited by chazde3; 03-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Did some fiberglass repair work this evening.

Name:  I64fiorh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  xjXtqH3h.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  PjWMVbQh.jpg
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  LFYKhfih.jpg
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  U2lvYBqh.jpg
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  JAIVwTJh.jpg
Size:  126.8 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:10 AM.
MISTERZ06 (05-02-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I wish I lived closer to you guys that are comfortable repairing the glass. I have repair work coming around the roll bar and, well, have never done glass before. I absolutely must learn how to do this and I will be picking the brains of those of you that have. I'll document what I have to repair and what my goals are with the repair, then ask you guys for advice. Until then, please do keep on sharing your work Chuck, I'll keep watching. and learning.
David
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm leaning towards leaving them chrome. I also worked out a deal for his L88 hood since he is going back to original, so looks like I'll have an L88 hood sitting over the L88 engine. That does mean I will need to either replace the wiper system that is currently missing, I have most of the parts in dad's garage for that, or go the FIA wiper door delete. I'm also pretty settled on the FIA/L88 headlights, just need to pick a source and purchase. I also plan on going with the motion style reverse 68-69 style gills and possibly the FIA front spoiler to fully embrace the racing restomod.

Edit: Oh and I think I settle on the original Rally Red with a black stripe that will mimic the layout dad had.
Let me know if you go wiper door delete. I bought the wiper door cover but then went with a long hood.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by rajin cajin
Let me know if you go wiper door delete. I bought the wiper door cover but then went with a long hood.

I bought the one that was posted recently in the for sale section. Looks like I will need to come up with some sort of bracket to hold it on. I can't seem to find any mounting information anywhere for it.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:38 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Glad you got it Chuck! I was talking with Bill about it too! Couldn't find any information either! Keep posting looking forward to how it comes out!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM
chazde3
Drifting

I wish I lived closer to you guys that are comfortable repairing the glass. I have repair work coming around the roll bar and, well, have never done glass before. I absolutely must learn how to do this and I will be picking the brains of those of you that have. I'll document what I have to repair and what my goals are with the repair, then ask you guys for advice. Until then, please do keep on sharing your work Chuck, I'll keep watching. and learning.
David
It's really not too bad. Prep work and patience. A lot of what I learned as a kid came back to me as I started to do my own glass work. I have been wondering the best way to deal with the openings around the roll bar on mine. I'm leaning towards making some form of gasket instead of glassing in the opening. I would be afraid any body flex may crack the glass butting up against the roll bar. Glassing the mount holes in could cause a mess down the road as well if the body ever has to be removed as well. Just food for thought...

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Glad you got it Chuck! I was talking with Bill about it too! Couldn't find any information either! Keep posting looking forward to how it comes out!
Lack of installation info was the major hold up on me picking it up earlier. I just can't believe no one has posted a how to. I suppose that will have to be up to me to provide future forum members. I have access to a 3D printer now so I can easily get prototypes made up.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:17 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Worked on some late night fiberglass repairs. Next major fiberglass work will be replacing the 73 and up gills for 68-69 motion style reverse gills and fixing some bottom edges on the rear clip. Fun stuff.

Name:  WmUK98Nh.jpg
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  v4oo3alh.jpg
Size:  118.8 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 11:09 AM.
MISTERZ06 (05-02-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 12:51 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Good job Chuck! Keep it up!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:35 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Good job Chuck! Keep it up!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

It's really not too bad. Prep work and patience. A lot of what I learned as a kid came back to me as I started to do my own glass work. I have been wondering the best way to deal with the openings around the roll bar on mine. I'm leaning towards making some form of gasket instead of glassing in the opening. I would be afraid any body flex may crack the glass butting up against the roll bar. Glassing the mount holes in could cause a mess down the road as well if the body ever has to be removed as well. Just food for thought...

Interesting work with fiberglass. I have "some" fiberglass experience but that is with surfboards in a previous life....lol

Like your work and will be borrowing from it as I get around to the body mods which will be step 2.

A thought I had for both you and David (AllVettes4Me) is regards the roll bars. As the bars are bolted to the frame and if there ever came the need to remove it without pulling the entire body again......why not cut the fiberglass out completely where the roll bar goes thru the floor so that the flange clears coming out (rectangle hole I imagine). Then fab some nice aluminum 2 piece panel to cover the hole and go almost all the way up to the roll bar. Don't want it to touch so as not to have a squeak. Cut some rubber tubing in half lengthwise and line the aluminum where it reaches the roll bar. Use weather stripping glue to attach tubing to aluminum. Make a think rubber gasket and glue to underside of aluminum and use some type of compatible screw or clip to hold panel in place. Carpet goes over and lightly glued down.

Just a few words (thoughts)....haha

Will be interested to see your solution. And David's also.

Carry on

Bman (Dennis)
chazde3 (04-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Interesting work with fiberglass. I have "some" fiberglass experience but that is with surfboards in a previous life....lol

Like your work and will be borrowing from it as I get around to the body mods which will be step 2.

A thought I had for both you and David (AllVettes4Me) is regards the roll bars. As the bars are bolted to the frame and if there ever came the need to remove it without pulling the entire body again......why not cut the fiberglass out completely where the roll bar goes thru the floor so that the flange clears coming out (rectangle hole I imagine). Then fab some nice aluminum 2 piece panel to cover the hole and go almost all the way up to the roll bar. Don't want it to touch so as not to have a squeak. Cut some rubber tubing in half lengthwise and line the aluminum where it reaches the roll bar. Use weather stripping glue to attach tubing to aluminum. Make a think rubber gasket and glue to underside of aluminum and use some type of compatible screw or clip to hold panel in place. Carpet goes over and lightly glued down.

Just a few words (thoughts)....haha

Will be interested to see your solution. And David's also.

Carry on

Bman (Dennis)
Thanks Dennis.

I'm definitely planning on something like you described for the roll bar. We'll have to wait and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:08 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Great ideas Chuck, thank you. I removed the rear panels from the 75 donor and will see if I can form what you are describing using those panels. I purchased two toilet bowl seals (rubber bottom seals) because the ID of those was 2-1/4" which matched the OD of my tubing. Those I cut and used to make two half circle seals and thought they could be mounted above and below the fiberglass or metal panel to form a gap sealer and still allow for flex in that area. They are not the super soft foam but rather the pliable rubber material. Once I get the roll bar back from my powder coater and my body back on the chassis I can play with that a bit more. I will share and seek further input when I get to that point. Thanks again. David
Old 05-27-2017, 06:13 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Made the hour drive up yesterday to Paragon Corvettes for a few underbody brackets for the seatbelts and seats, the rear brackets for the seat tracks, #4 cage nuts and a few odds and ends. My wallet didn't appreciate the $300 unfortunately. At the moment I'm not planning on using the stock seatbelt brackets, I'm planning on going with a 5 point set up, but haven't figured out the exact set up yet. The stock brackets will be in place in case I ever swap back to a stock style seat belt.

I tried having the wife hold the backer hammer for setting the rivets, but they didn't turn out too great. And she complained the whole 5 minutes lol. I'll have to have a friend come out that can handle the job a little better. I need to knock out the reinforcements and bedliner the underside pretty soon. I'd like to get the frame back on soon.

Quick Reply: Chazde3's '68 Vette Project