A new bad door panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts
Default A new bad door panel

It hasn't been a very good experience trying to get all the parts I
need to redo my interior. When I ordered door panels, carpet and some other things. Everything showed up but carpet. So I emailed the company and asked about it and they said that the company was running about a week and a half behind. Ok thats fine i can wait.
Finally carpet shows up and I get two driver side console pieces of carpet. they took care of it. I get the carpet, dash and everything installed. Time to start on the driver side door panel. And it will not sit flush on the door. Passenger side is perfect. Email the company with pictures. They said they would look into it. I ask them if they would keep me up to date on the information. A week and a half later and no update. So i emailed them and this is there response.

Tomorrow I'll have them pick it up and test fit it there at the plant. Instead of waiting for any kind of answer they just need to get it in their hands and see if it's warped.
How long will this take?

I still have the door panel at my house.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i feel for your frustration as i have had the same if not worse with replacement parts being either the incorrect part ,a defective part or an inferior part.you are not alone if that makes you feel any better.i was lucky enough to buy a car with a restored interior so i have been spared your kind of grief.best of luck on your restoration.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Thanks billcarson
With the door panel they made me feel like everyone that was made was perfect and that there was no way mine can be bad from the factory. That I was doing something wrong.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

That stinks.

A friend recently got a pair of brand new door panels for his 69. Unfortunatly the plastic snaps just do not hold. Lots of $$$ lots of frustration.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Hopefully the company comes through for you!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I thought it was just me but mine fit like sh#& too I fought and fought and finally ended up using a heat gun to warm up the door panel and get it into the correct bend so that the plastic clips would hold the panel. I am with you guys why do I spend my hard earned money with a company that sells crap that dosen`t fit.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
havesometo
Drifting

How to make mine fit I would have to put about 6 screws and long the front edge of the panel near the door hinges. And I am not going to do that. They can keep sending me door panel after door panel after door panel until I get 1 that fits. For 250 dollars I think it should fit and look good.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I thought it was just me but mine fit like sh#& too I fought and fought and finally ended up using a heat gun to warm up the door panel and get it into the correct bend so that the plastic clips would hold the panel. I am with you guys why do I spend my hard earned money with a company that sells crap that dosen`t fit.
So you would aim the heat gun at the backside of the panel? Where did you get your panel from?
I have a Corvette America door skin that does the same thing. The curve in the panel is more severe than the curve of the door, so that if you screw in the top, the bottom flops away from the door about an inch. If you get frustrated and force the top and bottom into place, the middle of the panel binds against the door lock linkage. Now I can't use the key to unlock the door anymore.
I feel your pain, buddy.

Last edited by gcusmano74; 03-20-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM
71 f/w driver
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the similar problem. Passenger panel has about a 1/4" gap at the door locking pin area and driver side has about a 3/8" gap in the same area. Was worst on both panels before I used my heat gun. May try heating again when weather gets warmer.
Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are quite a few threads on here regarding the fitting of new door panels. They range from setting them in the sun for a day with some weight on them, to the heat gun, to (scary!) scoring horizontal lines across the rear of the panel.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
So you would aim the heat gun at the backside of the panel? Where did you get your panel from?
I have a Corvette America door skin that does the same thing. The curve in the panel is more severe than the curve of the door, so that if you screw in the top, the bottom flops away from the door about an inch. If you get frustrated and force the top and bottom into place, the middle of the panel binds against the door lock linkage. Now I can't use the key to unlock the door anymore.
I feel your pain, buddy.
Same supplier and the exact same problem, I had to heat the back side of mine and bend it back, I had to do that several times to get it right. Mine didn`t fit worth crap when I started but you have to be careful not to get it too hot. I even tried laying mine down with a heat lamp on it to flatten some of the bend out. I got the same story when I called to. They told me there must be something wrong with my car. They had never heard of anyone having that problem. I guess being able to lie is a prerequisite for employment.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I got lucky with my panels for my 76, but let me tell you one thing for free: good luck if you have to replace your windshield pillar post trim...those things are terrible. Originals had two plastic snaps, repros have one, and they just flat out fit like garbage around the pillar. Reproduction seat backs? Don't even get me started on those compared to originals.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Just wanted to let everyone know that the big man from Wilcox corvette called me personally. And he is having a new door panel shipped to me.

Thanks again Ernie
Good people Wilcox corvette you
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Right on man, let us all know how the fit is, I have brand new CA panels also that i have HOURS into and still don't fit well. I'd be willing to pull the trigger on a new set from Wilcox if the fit better
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Same here I would buy a new pair from Wilcox if they could gurantee me decent fit. HINT HINT
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM
havesometo
Drifting

I will keep y'all updated on this. Wilcox told me he would do what ever it takes to make this right. I talk to him for about 45 minutes.And he seemed to be a Honest man. We talk about all kinds of stuff. He even let me pick his brain about changing my transmission. I really enjoyed our conversation.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by havesometo
I will keep y'all updated on this. Wilcox told me he would do what ever it takes to make this right. I talk to him for about 45 minutes.And he seemed to be a Honest man. We talk about all kinds of stuff. He even let me pick his brain about changing my transmission. I really enjoyed our conversation.
Meldrim well hell you are right own the road from me in Stilson

Get notified of new replies

To A new bad door panel

Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 AM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

had the same problem with mine but muscled it into place. The only problem now is that the lock **** clip won't hold the **** on because there is too much pressure on the clip.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess Im glad I didnt sell mine. I was gonna buy new and sell my existing so I get the "brand new look". Wanted to sell mine to get the cash...Good lookin out..
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
Meldrim well hell you are right own the road from me in Stilson
Yep about 20 miles from you.

Quick Reply: A new bad door panel