Sponsored by:

76 factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
original76
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 76 factory alarm

I used Ken Snyder's problem solving guide for 75 alarm. I have the alarm working for the drivers door and hood when opened and the alarm turned on. It does not work with passenger door is open. The passenger door ajar light works though. I can not find a wiring diagram that has the alarm circuit. Can anyone tell me if one wire going to door switch is alarm and the other door ajar and if so which is which?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are two switches on each door. One for the interior light and one for the alarm. One is at the front of the door and one at the back. If memory serves it is the back one that is the alarm. The switches are not expensive and are interchangeable. good luck
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the AIM, but for most model years, the front door jamb switch is courtesy lights and alarm. Switch at the rear bottom of the door is door ajar only.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM
original76
Racer

Sleper, you are correct the back switch is for the door ajar and alarm while the front one is for the courstesy light. However, they are not interchangeable. The front one has one connecting wire and the rear has two. That is why I am thinking that there are two circuits coming off the rear switch. One for alarm and one for door ajar, but do not know that for sure. The wiring diagram I have does not show the back switch. Courtsey lights work and door ajar lights work. Alarm works when hood and drivers door is open, but not when passenger door is open.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleper
There are two switches on each door. One for the interior light and one for the alarm. One is at the front of the door and one at the back. If memory serves it is the back one that is the alarm. The switches are not expensive and are interchangeable. good luck
I agree. Same as 75. Check the wire that runs between the left door alarm and the right. Runs under the carpet behind the seats and on the "wall" in front of the storage area.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Where did you get this problem solving guide for the alarm? I will have to go through my 76's alarms system as a PO butchered it... Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Where did you get this problem solving guide for the alarm? I will have to go through my 76's alarms system as a PO butchered it... Thanks
I would be interested in it also.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 AM
original76
Racer

Thank you for your input. While checking the wire between the two switches I looked closely at the passenger side switch. I discovered that the switch was making contact on the door ajar side of the switch but not the alarm side. Replacing the switch or finding a way to modify the current switch so it makes contact will solve the problem and the alarm will work like the general made it.

My 76 Ray I think that Ken replied to this thread. I believe that I found his trouble shooting guide on the forum, but you might ask him for it. btw a fellow forum member sent me a wiring diagram for the alarm system on the 76-76's. If you need a copy, let me know. I need to know soon though as I will be out of pocket for about 6 months starting in early April.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 factory alarm

Quick Reply: 76 factory alarm