Sponsored by:

1974 help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 AM
Upstny4u
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1974 help!

I'm currently looking to buy a 1974 w/ 454 AUTO..I currently have a 2004 ( no its not for sale)..and I am on the learning curve with all the ins & outs of the older Vettes. So what should I be on the lookout for.??? As far as "trouble areas" The car has been garaged but has NOT run for three years..thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If you can, get the car up on a lift and check out the frame like you would on any car, but focus on the area where the frame "kicks up" into the rear wheelwells, check the channel between the body and frame by the doors, and give the front end components a good look see.

Check out the windshield frame as best you can between the edges of the window frame on all sides as best as you can. See if you can remove the kickpanels inside to look at the area where the "birdcage" connects to the frame.

With regard to the motor itsself, check the numbers on it to make sure its the original motor [should have a portion of the vin on it], and the fifth digit of the vin should be a Z. If it is not walk away.

Outside of that check its function and fit of body panels like you would on any other car. Im sure there are a few things I missed, but this should give you a good headstart
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
randommj
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave
If you can, get the car up on a lift and check out the frame like you would on any car, but focus on the area where the frame "kicks up" into the rear wheelwells, check the channel between the body and frame by the doors, and give the front end components a good look see.

Check out the windshield frame as best you can between the edges of the window frame on all sides as best as you can. See if you can remove the kickpanels inside to look at the area where the "birdcage" connects to the frame.

With regard to the motor itsself, check the numbers on it to make sure its the original motor [should have a portion of the vin on it], and the fifth digit of the vin should be a Z. If it is not walk away.

Outside of that check its function and fit of body panels like you would on any other car. Im sure there are a few things I missed, but this should give you a good headstart
All of this

There is a sticky on this board about that stuff

Just examine the frame best you can and pull those little panels off in the rear wheel wells to check out the mounting bolts to see if they are rusty. The guy selling it shouldn't have a problem it with, its only a couple bolts to take out to get that panel off.

Have fun with your 74, I love mine!

Miles

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 help!

Quick Reply: 1974 help!