Sponsored by:

New "Old" Vette owner key quest

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
TarheelBill
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New "Old" Vette owner key quest

Just bought a '73. Here are my questions that I never thought to research before I purchased, and the guy I bought it from did not know.

There is a lock in the center rear of the car, just above the Corvette name. What is that? And where should I start trying to get a key code to have a keys made. I was given a couple of key blanks with the oval heads, but the only cut key I have is the one rectangled ignition/door key. Also no jack set. Will I need that same key to open the spare tray to see if I actually have a spare?

I know, pretty basic questions, but we all gotta start somewhere...
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

That sounds like the factory alarm and uses a smaller round, as opposed to oval, head key. The spare tire lock uses an oval head which is the same as the interior compartment lock behind the seats.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
TarheelBill
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea where/how to start tracking down someone to cut these keys?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the lock in the back of the car is for the alarm, door key should activate it if it still functions. The spare tire lock i think is also opened with door key. Not for sure as I have mine removed and never used. Do you have an owner's manual?If not check amazon and get a reproduction one for around $25. It has all the details and functions in there. An AIM or assembly instruction manual is also priceless when working on these cars. You can get them from corvette central or eckler's corvette.

congrats on your purchase.

Sully
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, that's the alarm.

I got a second ignition key cut at Home Depot. I had no keys for the door locks so I went to AutoZone and bought a new pair of locks for $10. Easy to swap out and now I have two new door (oval) keys.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Default Keys

Originally Posted by TarheelBill
Any idea where/how to start tracking down someone to cut these keys?
Can you remove the cylinder assembly from the storage compartment behind the seats and take it along with a oval head key to a locksmith.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
DonnieP73
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 226 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The square head key opens the doors and works the ignition. The oval head key opens everything else. The key code was on the knockout in the head of the original keys. If you can find the code, you can have new keys made.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

When new, the car would have had 2 keys. A square head one for the ignition and doors, and an oval head key that worked the rear storage compartment, spare tire lock and alarm switch.

Sometimes, lock assemblies have the key code on the case. I know the rear compartment and spare locks don't, but the alarm might.

The alarm switch is pretty easy to remove, once you reach it. It's held in by a "U" shaped clip, that just slides over the cylinder, and holds it tight against the fiberglass.

Contact Pat Krause at Pat's Locks in Maryland. He specializes in Corvette and Chevrolet locks, lock sets and keys. If you send him the alarm switch. he can make a key for it. He can also sell you new alarm, spare tire and rear compartment locks, all keyed alike. Pat's work is great and his prices are reasonable. You can reach him at 410-879-9647.

Originally Posted by MelWff
Can you remove the cylinder assembly from the storage compartment behind the seats and take it along with a oval head key to a locksmith.
You cannot reach the lock through the rear compartment. You have to get to it from under the car. It's above the rear crossmember and spare, and behind the gas tank.

Get notified of new replies

To New "Old" Vette owner key quest

Quick Reply: New "Old" Vette owner key quest