Sponsored by:

LED turn signal blubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED turn signal blubs

Got a dead turn indicator front bulb in my '75. LED replacement bulbs are cheap so why not replace both L & R bulbs with direct fit LED bulbs? Will my signal flasher see the load difference between front LED's and rear incandescent bulbs as a defective light and stop my left and right signals from blinking? If yes how large a resistor should I lay in each line to the LED's?
RB
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm having a mix of leds (rear brake turn signal, side markers) and incandescent lamps (reverse lights front park/turn lights). I use a electronic flasher and no resistors at all. Everything works and is alot less work
Nick
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 AM
toolman0114
Racer

I replaced all the bulbs on my 74 with LED replacements and changed the flashers to electronic ones.
No problems, bright, and work great
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had good luck with a HD electronic flasher I picked up at Napa, never had to install additional resistors.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Trae, what did you pay for your flasher and is your electronic flasher louder than the stock flasher?
I'm not ready quite yet to move to Florida where it's law to leave your blinker on anytime you drive so an audible "friendly reminder" as the years add up is still welcome .
RB
Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 AM
pleasants9
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Commodore
I'm not ready quite yet to move to Florida where it's law to leave your blinker on anytime you drive so an audible "friendly reminder" as the years add up is still welcome .
RB
huh?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Commodore
Trae, what did you pay for your flasher and is your electronic flasher louder than the stock flasher?
RB

It's been several years, but it was around $10 I believe.
And I don't really remember how loud the stock one was.

After a brief search on Napa's site, I believe I'm using P/N NF HD12.

Last edited by Trae1976; 04-19-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Corrected P/N
Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Just recently installed SuperBright LED's all around in my 69. Some interesting facts:

The rear wiring on the brake and turn signal lights up different filaments on normal incandescents between the left and right side. I believe that is the way it was wired from the factory, as somebody else noted on this forum, but for different reasons. That is OK with incandescents but on the LED replacements there is a noticeable difference in brightness.

I solved this without touching the wiring by putting one of the LED bulbs in 180 out. Since the socket won't accept a reversal I filed off the upper locating "nub" so that the lower nub sits in the upper indentation. Still makes contact and sits in place just fine. And both sides have equivalent brightness now.

The 18 LED bulb from SuperBrights would not fit in my front directional. You have to get the 45 LED which has a tapered base and even then I had to file off part of the nub to get it to seat.

With regard to the electronic flasher, there are two choices, a black one and a red one. Despite identical pinouts, the internal wiring is reversed. Who knows why. Only the red one worked correctly.

None of this may be relevant to your 75 RB, but since the knowledge came with a bit of pain (as it always seems) I post it for whomever it might help with the earlier years!

And all the fiber optics works just fine!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The hd flasher didn't work on my '75. I had to add resistors.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Punisher: As I mentioned there are two varieties of flasher with the same pinout. Did you try reversing the leads? There's no reason why the flasher shouldn't work.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ignatz
Punisher: As I mentioned there are two varieties of flasher with the same pinout. Did you try reversing the leads? There's no reason why the flasher shouldn't work.
No I never tried reversing the leads. But the resistors are solder in good so I don't think I'll mess with it anymore
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

What is an electric flasher? Is that a chip you buy to build into the circuit.

Get notified of new replies

To LED turn signal blubs

Quick Reply: LED turn signal blubs