Sponsored by:

What glue to attach carpet to rear compartment

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
toolman0114
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What glue to attach carpet to rear compartment

I put new carpet in my 74 last year and noticed the carpet is coming unglued from the rear compartment doors.
I use 3M spray adhesive, but that's not holding.
What should I use to glue these down?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless you use a good quality contact cement, the weight of the carpet on that back wall will cause it to come loose. The factory had 3 rubber plugs that held the rear carpet panel up and against the rear wall. There are holes in the body panel for them and you can buy those plugs from most of the Corvette aftermarket suppliers. If you use the plugs, the 3M spray adhesive should work fine.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I used the 3M and haven't had any problems with it. Fitting the frames over the carpet and around the doors was the PITA.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM
toolman0114
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is only the lids on the rear compartments where am I having an issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Carpeting on lids should be cut to fit the door, not the inside area of the frame. If the sections are already too small to be retained by the frames, use contact cement on door and carpet, then press together. You may need to clean the 3M goo off, first. Use lacquer thinner...or "Goo Gone", if you don't care to lose any more brain cells.

For those who are attempting this and have not yet cut the carpet pieces too small, cut them to fit the door panels. Then, shave down the carpet knap along the edges, where the frame will need to compress the carpet. If you can't easily install the screws for retaining the frames, get a piece of plywood (at least as big as the frame) and clamp [hand operated squeeze clamps or C-clamps] the frame/carpet/door assembly together to put the frame in correct position to insert the retaining screws. Insert the screws, then release the clamps.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am also having rear deck carpet glue issues.

Maybe someone can post a pic of the carpet surrounding the astrovent in a non AC car.
It looks like the PO just threw the carpet in and didnt trim for the vent doors.
Is it common to have to trim carpet around the vents or does it come pre cut correctly (i am doubting)

I will have to look for the plastic plugs and glue it back up cause it wants to flop down currently.

Get notified of new replies

To What glue to attach carpet to rear compartment

Quick Reply: What glue to attach carpet to rear compartment