C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gettin ready for new carpet, couple of quick questions on install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default gettin ready for new carpet, couple of quick questions on install.

on my 68 coupe restoration, i'm at the point that i want to go ahead and install the new carpet. i already purchased a carpet set for the car...(i have installed carpet in other vettes over the years, but it's been awhile, so i have these questions:

1. was the original carpet glued in place, or just cut to fit and layed in place with seats, and door sills etc keeping it in place?

2. did GM put any thing under the carpet for heat or sound barrier? my carpet does have the jute padding in certain areas already....

3. i found a brand new "heat barrier kit, 7pcs, front and rear 68-77" in my shop (apparently purchased for another car but never used) it looks like some kind of space age shiny material, designed for heat and noise reduction....should i use it? if so, would it be glued in place, and then would carpet be glued to it? (assuming carpet should be glued at all)

4. assuming GM just put bare carpet in on the floor with no underlay, would using some type of underlay affect the fit of the new carpet?

i would appreciate any opinions or info regarding my questions, thanks, Rick
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Raz,
There was rubber coated jute underlayment used. It was separate from the carpet.
It WASN'T on the three rear compartment doors, nor on the bulkhead behind the seat except for a strip at the very top of the rear side of the bulkhead carpet... where it meets the front edges of the compartment doors.
There was some glue used but not very much.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks a bunch alan....pics are always a nice bonus! so this "barrier kit" that i have should be a pretty good substitute for the original underlay i guess.....then new carpet would not be glued down, except for maybe where it comes up on the riser piece behind seats??? Rick

Get notified of new replies

To gettin ready for new carpet, couple of quick questions on install.

Quick Reply: gettin ready for new carpet, couple of quick questions on install.