Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring issues in the dash

Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Tom Davis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring issues in the dash

Hello, I hope someone can help me with two wiring issues.
First, I have a brown wire under the dash with a fitting that plugs into something I cannot find. I looked on here and someone said that it might be the power window feed but where does it attach? if on the ignition switch, where?
Second, I have an orange and a white wire bundled together that come from the rear of the car inside the left body, along the door under the carpet all the way up to the drivers side dash area near the fuse holder.
What do these wires do and where should I connect them?

Last edited by Tom Davis; 04-28-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Stingray-Jer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is your car Tom? I believe there are wiring diagrams available here on the forum. Of course that doesn't mean your car doesn't have a bubba wiring issue.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Davis
Hello, I hope someone can help me with two wiring issues.
First, I have a brown wire under the dash with a fitting that plugs into something I cannot find.
Second, I have an orange and a white wire bundled together that come from the rear of the car inside the left body, along the door under the carpet all the way up to the drivers side dash area near the fuse holder.
Brown could be a lot of things, but the orange and white is definitely your dome light wiring, if Bubba hasn't been there.
Post pictures and the year for a more accurate answer
Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
8T_BlackBeauty
Intermediate

If it helps, my orange and white wire connects my radio, but it is definitely Bubba doing the wiring, so not sure if that does you any good. My dome lights don't work, so maybe that the answer. I'll be getting to the wiring as soon as I finish my "wheel-bearing-turned-into-front-end-repalcement job".
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Could the brown be for the capacitor underneath the steering column? (Not sure if all years have this)
Nick

Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Tom Davis
6th Gear

Default dash wiring problems

Thanks to you all for your help. I forgot to tell you I have 69 convertible. That makes me wonder about the dome light idea but maybe there was some kind of courtesy light in the rear area or on the deck lid that is now missing?
I have a wiring diagram from some shop manuals I got from the automotive dept at the college where I teach but they don't show this. is there a place to look at the AIM that I see people mention here.
I really am glad to be able to use this forum. It has really helped me out a lot!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have a light on the back wall? That's where the orange/white run to, you can see them in the picture

Dome light looks like this :
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Tom Davis
6th Gear

Default wiring issues in dash

I have found the place in the rear compartment behind the carpet for the light.It has molded plate so I am wondering about how to open up the area to find the wires for the courtesy/luggage area light.
I cannot find a capacitor under the dash with a pig tail plug. There is one that I think is for the turn signa but it is hooked up.
This brown wire is just long enough to plug into the ignition switch but the isn't an empty spade there that I can find? Nothing seems to NOT work
I found a trumpet shaped horn under the drivers side wheel near the radio anenae today. there is an orange wire there not connected and broken. When I touched the end together it activates a relay under the passenger side compartments that has a heavey duty flasher connected. I think this may have been the alarm system ????

Get notified of new replies

To wiring issues in the dash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiring issues in the dash