Sponsored by:

lock Up... Any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default lock Up... Any ideas??

I'm trying to get the lock up converter to work on my 1981. I have removed the computer and am trying to make it work with just a simple toggle switch.
Took the plug off the tranny and there are 3 wires in the plug. one is GREEN and the other two are to discolored to tell what they are. So, I know that I do not need the green wire, its for the vehicle speed sensor. The other two wires are supposed to be a ta& black wire and a pink & black wire. from the directions I have I'm supposed to run the pink& black wire to 12Volts, the tan & black wire to ground with a toggle switch in the line. I have done it both ways and still nothing. I get up to 60MPH and turn on the switch, nothing. I do not see a difference in speedo or tach and when I come to a stop the car idles fine, it does not try to stall. Any ideas?
I really do not need it to work but I figured its there why not use it. TIA.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You can do whatever you like, but just putting a 'simple toggle switch' in for locking the converter is not a particularly good way to go. You need to have lockup drop out whenever you hit the brakes and whenever you increase throttle significantly. Otherwise, if lockup is ON during either of those situations, you could damage the lockup clutch. It was not designed to handle anything close to total torque output of the engine.

You can stick a toggle switch on it, but will you always remember to turn it OFF before you use the brakes in an emergency situation or if you are going up a steep hill?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

On a TH350 don't bother.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

What about this? A little more expansive than a toggle switch, but should work better.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70244/overview/
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
What about this? A little more expansive than a toggle switch, but should work better.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70244/overview/
good idea

Get notified of new replies

To lock Up... Any ideas??

Quick Reply: lock Up... Any ideas??