Sponsored by:

New (to me) 72 Corvette / Driver -Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
mariobro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) 72 Corvette / Driver -Project - New Pics 05-07-2013

Ok, I picked this 72 Corvette up from Rochester NY and towed it back to my home town (Cincinnati). I was going after a car that I could make into a driver and this is what I found. (I know its not perfect but I can do body work and paint it myself when the time comes.) It has a crate 350 and orig 4 speed trans (not sure if trans is numbers matching?). Already ordered the AIM and service manual (I have owners manual).

After unloading off the trailer and first wash.

In the garage after the first day of having it out on the road. Took the front ground effect as it would hit the curb to get in my drive way and we were not fond of it anyway (wouldn't mine selling it off)

Interior (I plan on putting a new gauge bezel with DIN for new radio)

Need to be cleaned..

Not sure if this is were some rust./?

Behind drivers side kick panel (not to much rust)

Different angle

list of known issues
Drivers side front wheel well has to cracks that were repaired with bond and the paint is cracking..

Crack by passenger head light was repaired with bondo and paint is cracking again.

Crack in front of passenger side head light, not been attempted to be repaired.

Speedo Cable is noisy, plan on ordering a new one today. (willcox)

Temp gauge only goes to right past the 100 degree mark. Thinking its missing the insulating washer.

Fuel gauge was on E and I put little over 10 gallons in it (the pump auto stopped) and the gauge slowly climbed to 3/4 full. Not sure if that is working 100% or not. I will investigate when I check the temp gauge.

Radio doesn't work. Plan on replacing that anyway.

Blower Motor works, however the controller for which vents it blows out of doesn't seem to change anything.

I think that is it for now. Off to Willcox to order some parts now.

Fixed my links as I was moving the pictures around.

Thanks

Last edited by mariobro; 05-07-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixed my links
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like a nice start to a fun car
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats, enjoy and have fun !!!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the 72, love it. Glad you took that front spoiler off too!

Sully
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Looks like a great start for sure , good luck with the project!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Sully1882
Glad you took that front spoiler off too!Sully
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like you have a solid starting point for your intentions.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

nice looking car, great driver....I CANNOT wait until my Corvette is on the road, my car will be a driver for now, kinda ratty body, but went through all the mechanicals and will have a pretty nice interior..doing it now...also plan to finish up my Camaro soon....it is more fun to drive them than to work on them
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mb,
It looks like a very nice car!
From the pictures, and what you write, it seems to be JUST what you were looking for.
Well Done!
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM
mariobro
Advanced

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted as I get started working on it and hope to get some more pictures of the frame and others. Let me know if there is a place I should be concerned about that I may not have looked yet. This is my first Corvette.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

how much for the spoiler?

neat car - I always love project threads that begin with the words "I towed it home" because I know coolness is coming
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

She's a beauty! The little things you found aren't that bad and typical of the C3 experience. I agree about the spoiler, not my cup of tea either, but different strokes for differen folks. Ya did good on this one and you'll be enjoying it, now that it's yours!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Another on getting rid of the spoiler. I'm not sure if the '72's have them but other years have smaller spoilers under the front that direct air through the radiator. Maybe someone who knows if you should have one will comment.

The problem with the heater blower could be the resistors. They are mounted in the blower housing under the hood (if '72's are like mine). Take it out and take a look at it. It will be obvious if it is burned out.

All in all, that looks like a nice car.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mariobro

In the garage after the first day of having it out on the road. Took the front ground effect as it would hit the curb to get in my drive way and we were not fond of it anyway (wouldn't mine selling it off)

The air is directed to the radiator from under the nose, so you will probably want to put an original air dam on the car.

Behind drivers side kick panel (not to much rust)

That's a good sign. If the birdcage is rusty, then that area can get pretty rusty.

Speedo Cable is noisy, plan on ordering a new one today. (willcox)

Replacing the speedo cable is not a simple task. The drivers side dash is considered one of the most difficult things to remove.

Fuel gauge was on E and I put little over 10 gallons in it (the pump auto stopped) and the gauge slowly climbed to 3/4 full. Not sure if that is working 100% or not. I will investigate when I check the temp gauge.

The nozzle on the pump will reach down into the tank, and cutoff before the tank if full. When I fill my tank, I hold the nozzle up a bit, and watch the fuel entering the tank, so I know when to stop - you get used too it.

Blower Motor works, however the controller for which vents it blows out of doesn't seem to change anything.

This could be a number of things. 1) disconnected vacuum line(s) from the controller to the actuator(s), 2) bad actuator(s), 3) there is a little plastic piece that connects the actuator to the diverter door in the heater core, when it breaks, the door will no longer move.
Another thing is if you are going to use this car as a daily driver, I would check for leaks - I just went through this. There is sealant in the wiper bay that seals the cowl to the firewall. It gets old, and no longer seals. This leads to water getting into places it shouldn't. This is MUCH easier to do with the dash out.

Since you are talking about replacing the speedo cable - left dash, the radio - center gauges, and looking into HVAC - center+right dash. I would honestly take some time to look into everything, and wait until you can hit everything at once.

If you decide to hit everything at once, and take the entire dash out, there are lots of improvements you can do all at once. Things like heat/sound deadener under the carpets, new light bulbs/leds in the gauges (I just replaced the bulbs with led's and it did make a huge difference - but you do lose the ability to dim the bulbs). Or replace any bad or missing bulbs. You can upgrade the speakers, and run the wires correctly. Do you have power brakes? If so, and you need a new booster, this would be the time to do it.

If you decide to go down that path, my best advice is to take your time, and don't force anything (40 year old plastic will break very easily!). If you have to force it, you are doing it wrong. And don't rush things, it will take as long as it takes, and most likely if you decide to do the above, you are looking at a 3-4 weekend project.

Taking the dash apart is something you only want to do once, so do everything you can when you do have it apart.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Sully1882
...Glad you took that front spoiler off...

Congrats. Looks like a nice car.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

looks like a good solid car.

spoiler doesn't help the looks of a 1972 at all......I'd removed it too.

thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Flying Low
Racer

Nice, Keep the pictures coming.
David

Get notified of new replies

To New (to me) 72 Corvette / Driver -Project

Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks good. Good decision on dumping the spoiler, just look at replacing the stock one as others have said...they are not overly expensive and are readily available. Now you ought to go out and find a good set of rally wheels for it!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM
mariobro
Advanced

So when I get into the dash, I am going to lay down dynamat on the floor and was thinking about installing a brake booster.

My question is, do I really need to change the master cylinder? (is there a difference in a power brake master cylinder and a non power brake?)

Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Looks like a very nice car to work with. It should be a lot of fun for you We are looking forward to your progress.

Quick Reply: New (to me) 72 Corvette / Driver -Project