Sponsored by:

79 Corvette Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 79 Corvette Build Thread

I recently started a little project with my Vette and thought I would document it here, and also am hoping that the Forum members will help me with tech question, motivation and support through out this build.
The car is a 1979 L82 that I bought in 1998, and yes it was painted like a pace car when I bought it. A few months ago I was on the interstate in a tight curve when a rear wheel bearing failed. So this has turned in to a while I am there I am going to replace the U joints, and then pull the differential for a possible rebuild, and now while I am there lets pull the body off the frame.
So a little bit more about the car. It has a 4 bolt 355 with World Products heads, roller comp cam 224 at .050, Richmond super T-10 4 speed and 3.55 gears.
Over all it in fairly decent shape, never wrecked, garaged kept, only driven in the rain if caught out driving when the rain starts and only has about 140,000 miles on it. But it seems like everything is warn out and ready to be rebuilt.
So here we go!
Here are a few before photos, and the photos are misleading on the paint condition as the paint if pealing of all over the car.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Around Christmas I had removed the rear suspension and then the car sat until last weekend at which time I removed the interior, bagged and labeled all the small parts and hardware and packed everything away.
My delay on working on it after Christmas was mostly having to finish out our unfinished basement and also not sure what direction to go with the car.
Yesterday and today I got a little bit more progress and was able to remove the body and start taking the chassis apart. I am happy to say that there is very little rust, and I don't even have the windshield rust. What rust there is just light surface rust.
On a negative note when draining the engine and transmission oil I discovered metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug on my Richmond Super T-10. This transmission only has about 10,000 miles on it and I had bought it new.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 AM
mac79vette
Pro

So my first question for everyone is what paint to use on the frame. I had used a two part epoxy paint from summit racing recently on the control arms of my truck. It sprayed well, looks good and seems tuff, but its only been on for a few months so not sure for long term.
I have been looking at some of the frame paints from Eastwood. Has any one used this, and have anything to say about it?
I don't want to power coat, to much money, got a quote of $1000.00 frame only not cross members or suspension components, also the power coat on my Vette Brakes products that has been on for just 5 years is pealing off, so not sure if I want to chance that on the frame.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
So my first question for everyone is what paint to use on the frame. I had used a two part epoxy paint from summit racing recently on the control arms of my truck. It sprayed well, looks good and seems tuff, but its only been on for a few months so not sure for long term.
I have been looking at some of the frame paints from Eastwood. Has any one used this, and have anything to say about it?
I don't want to power coat, to much money, got a quote of $1000.00 frame only not cross members or suspension components, also the power coat on my Vette Brakes products that has been on for just 5 years is pealing off, so not sure if I want to chance that on the frame.
Maybe u should shop around some more. i paid 200 bucks for frame and all suspension parts to be blasted and powdercoated. They used 3 step coating for everything starting with zinc powder, then color and then clear coat powder...

Gotta love those 79's!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Looks like great progress so far. I've used Eastwood's rust encapsulator before, but sold the car shortly after, so can't comment on the longevity of it, but I liked how it looked and it wasn't too hard to appy. How about a pic of the truck? I love them too!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Great looking 79. I like the pace car paint scheme on, I've thought of doing that to my 79 which coincidentally also has the oyster interior. Can't wait to see more of your build.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:31 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Maybe u should shop around some more. i paid 200 bucks for frame and all suspension parts to be blasted and powdercoated. They used 3 step coating for everything starting with zinc powder, then color and then clear coat powder...

Gotta love those 79's!
So I called all around and found a place that can sandblast and powercoat the frame for $400-450 but they are 70 miles away.
My original plan was to have the frame sandblasted than go over all the welds as outlined in the Chevy Power book in the C3 section, than paint it. But if I am going to have it poweredcoated than I may just do all the welding first than take the frame to be sandblasted and powercoated.
I am not looking forward to having to clean up all the welds with a wire wheel and grinder to go over it all.
After work tonight I spent a few hours finishing removing everything else off the frame.
I was surprised to find quite a few cracks in various welds. Here is a list of the cracks I have found so far.
1. On the welds on both frame horns.
2. On one of the front shock tower.
3. On the bracket that extends from the front cross member that the rear part of the lower control arm attaches to. The entire outer side weld has come apart from the cross member.
4. A small crack on one of the engine mount brackets.
5. On the cross member in the rear where the rear suspension attaches to.

All of the cracks are in the welds so easy fix.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Priya
Great looking 79. I like the pace car paint scheme on, I've thought of doing that to my 79 which coincidentally also has the oyster interior. Can't wait to see more of your build.
I also like to pace car paint scheme, but I some time feel awkward that its painted that way and is not a pace car. I am debating on weather or not to stick with the black and silver or going all black. I suspect that I still have a long time before I have to decide that. But I will most likely stay with black and silver.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 AM
MikeKey
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, how much of your interior was removed?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeKey
Looking good, how much of your interior was removed?
I removed all the interior with the exception of the A/C box and the wiring. Rear and side glass was in, but no windshield.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
I also like to pace car paint scheme, but I some time feel awkward that its painted that way and is not a pace car. I am debating on weather or not to stick with the black and silver or going all black. I suspect that I still have a long time before I have to decide that. But I will most likely stay with black and silver.
As long as you're not telling anybody it IS a Pace Car ... enjoy it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Dega500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I wished I hadn't run across this thread. Now I'm gonna want to do this to my 80.

Seriously, it's looking good and can't wait to follow the rest of your rebuild!

Dega
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Dega500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question,

So the whole body lifted off as a unit and set on the wood frame with the cherry picker?

Do you have a link to plans for the wood cart. I've seen them for camaros.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I love it . . . rear wheel bearing went out and I did a body-off restoration. Looks like you have a very nice car to work with and I really like the current paint scheme!!! Good luck with your project and I look forward to following your progress. Looks like you are having a lot of fun.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm not a fan of the black and silver scheme on non-Pace Cars. You'd have to be pretty thick-skinned, especially if you go to a lot of car shows. People will comment on it. You'll get the "is it a pace car?" questions, the people who look down their nose at you because they think you're trying to pull a fast one, etc.

But as others have said, if you like it, go for it.

I'm actually kind of fond of the dark blue color they offered in 79.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Corvette Build Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

looked like it was in great shape before you started! can't wait to see it done
Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Dega500
Dumb question,

So the whole body lifted off as a unit and set on the wood frame with the cherry picker?

Do you have a link to plans for the wood cart. I've seen them for camaros.

Thanks
Yes the whole body was lifted with a engine hoist. I did have to remove the bumper covers and the bumper brackets in the front.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM
mac79vette
Pro

My plan with the frame is to have it sandblasted and than powercoted. The place to have this done is about 70 miles away so I am going to clean up are the areas that I have to weld with a wire wheel and grinder weld everything up and then take it to get powercoated.
I only had about a hour tonight after work to work on the frame so I started cleaning up a few areas and ran a few beads with the welder. I have used this welder quite a bit but only on sheet mettle so I was not sure how it would do on the frames 12 gage steel but no problems penetrating and plenty of power to spare.
Who all else has welded up all the unwelded seams, boxed in the frame horns and added gussets around the front suspension mounting brackets?

Quick Reply: 79 Corvette Build Thread