Sponsored by:

Sanity check on diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Sanity check on diagnosis

I am a little frustrated. Two season's ago, I completely rebuilt the rear end of my 79. I had the differential rebuilt by a reputable shop and replaced six u-joints, the strut rods, cross member cushions, snubber bushing, and both trailing arms with ones I purchased from Ikerd's. Last month I had to replace the half-shaft u-joint near the passenger side tire.

Last week I noticed a rhythmic thumping from the passenger side rear, in synch with the tire rotation. There's no clicking, grinding, or whining that I heard when the first u-joint decided to go out. I jacked up the car and rotated the tires. There's no contact and no indication anything is rubbing.

When I turn left, the thumping goes away. When I cruise straight or turn right, it's prominent. I think it's the inner u-joint on the yoke. The trailing arms only have about 6 - 8 thousand miles on them and I checked for play in the wheels when I had it off the ground. Is there anything else it could be? Has anyone else had bad luck with parts? It seems that u-joints should last longer than 8000 miles. Thanks.

Dan
Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Are the stub axles pulling out of the rear end? If the retaining clips are gone inside pumpkin, it allows the stubs to pull in and out when you shift the load turning R or L.

Jack it up with the wheels hanging and have a look where the stubs exit the case. They should remain in place, tight against the side of the case.

Quick Reply: Sanity check on diagnosis