C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I put a deposit on a blow1974 stingray and am plaing to drive it back acrosse country

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
rjoyal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3000 miles @ 8mpg = 375 gallons of gas.

I did 2000 miles with my 80 Vette that I bought for $5,000.

What did I bring?

A co-pilot who is handy with tools and doesn't mind bleeding the brakes with me in a walmart parking lot at 11pm because we can't get all the air out after both rear calipers decided to start leaking badly.

A cell phone. Walking on the side of the interstate sucks.

Money. I bought tools on the fly. The "trunk" on a C3 isn't exactly big.

Spare fluids. If the car is a trailer queen, you might discover the coolant leak when it goes empty 40 miles from nowhere.

Don't be a hero. If you get there and there's NO WAY you can drive it more than 20 miles before it's going to overheat and it gets 3mpg at 55mph, no one will call you names for getting it shipped instead of blowing up the motor.

But, if you're good with tools and you're not worried about pit stops, I say do it. I did. Was a fantastic time, even if it meant we were changing valve covers in the hotel parking lot because the ones on there were cracked and leaking like crazy. Yes, the actual valve covers - cast aluminum, or should I say porus, cracked, cast aluminum.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM
rjoyal
Advanced

One of the coolest parts of the trip: Saving the Wave. I wanted a shark since I was 5. I finally got one.

Someone needs to make an animated gif of the wave.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
You can't be serious.
Me too,I can't believe that most of the posters fall for this old gag every single time.Well at least its something different this time,its usually a too good to be true deal or barn find that pulls the rubes in...

Anyways,good luck with your adventure,bring a big pocket of cash and a pile of credit cards,this trip will take a while!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blownstingray
So i just bought a 1200 hp 8-71 blown 502 .030 over 1974 stingray and am driving it across country. what should i expect for mpg out of a 4 speed richmond t 10 and 3.73 diff with drag tires on the back? What kind of tools should i bring and what should i be checking on the journey home? I havent bought the car yet but what should i be looking for during the inspection? Thanks for your help this is my first classic car!
Let us know how it goes
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was young once, and did something a little like this and made it.

But I suggest you have some sort of back up plan, just in case.

BTW, if you need help near the Charlotte, NC area, let me know.

Good luck.

BILL
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjoyal

One of the coolest parts of the trip: Saving the Wave. I wanted a shark since I was 5. I finally got one.

Someone needs to make an animated gif of the wave.
Here ya go.. the best we got right now
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

but seriously, i DO speak from experience...years ago, when i was young/dumb and full of (come on now, you didn't think i was gonna finish that ol' saying did you)?? LOL, i bought a 69 Yenko Camaro, yes, a REAL Yenko, documented and in the registry with original 427/450...i decided it would be a real adventure to fly out to Portland from Kansas and drive it back by myself. the car was in GREAT shape as described, and drove and ran very nice, i had a pocket full of cash and a cooler full of beer, WHAT could go wrong? it was April, so it was beautiful in Ks, and i didn't even bring a jacket, just one change of clothes...well i made it to Montana before i shelled out the engine completely....apparently these high compression factory quarter mile cars with low gears weren't made for highway driving??????? keep in mind this was before everyone and their kids had a cell phone, i certainly didn't, so i was standing out on the side of a two lane highway in the SNOW with my thumb out! finally hitched a ride to the next small town and rode back out with local tow truck drive to retrieve my Yenko that was sitting alone on the side of the rode....anyway, we determined that i had thrown a rod, and the motor needed complete rebuild including one sleeve after my dad drove all night to pick me up the next day with a truck and a car trailer....yes, it was an "adventure",(read that to be "nightmare") and i clearly would NEVER do something like this again, even with an unknown, more practical driver car. btw, the engine described by the OP in this 74 vette makes my Yenko 427 sound like a base 350 in comparison.. just my .02. Rick

Last edited by razman; 05-17-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by razman
but seriously, i DO speak from experience...years ago, when i was young/dumb and full of (come on now, you didn't think i was gonna finish that ol' saying did you)?? LOL, i bought a 69 Yenko Camaro, yes, a REAL Yenko, documented and in the registry with original 427/450...i decided it would be a real adventure to fly out to Portland from Kansas and drive it back by myself. the car was in GREAT shape as described, and drove and ran very nice, i had a pocket full of cash and a cooler full of beer, WHAT could go wrong? it was April, so it was beautiful in Ks, and i didn't even bring a jacket, just one change of clothes...well i made it to Montana before i shelled out the engine completely....apparently these high compression factory quarter mile cars with low gears weren't made for highway driving??????? keep in mind this was before everyone and their kids had a cell phone, i certainly didn't, so i was standing out on the side of a two lane highway in the SNOW with my thumb out! finally hitched a ride to the next small town and rode back out with local tow truck drive to retrieve my Yenko that was sitting alone on the side of the rode....anyway, we determined that i had thrown a rod, and the motor needed complete rebuild including one sleeve after my dad drove all night to pick me up the next day with a truck and a car trailer....yes, it was an "adventure",(read that to be "nightmare") and i clearly would NEVER do something like this again, even with an unknown, more practical driver car. btw, the engine described by the OP in this 74 vette makes my Yenko 427 sound like a base 350 in comparison.. just my .02. Rick
You'd be boring if you didn't have stories like that.... just sayin'
Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
You'd be boring if you didn't have stories like that.... just sayin'
well, i WILL give you that! LOL....trust me, i have lots of "young and dumb" stories! (including selling the Yenko Camaro a couple of years later for 50k) Rick
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my 73, with 43,000 miles, new this and that with a safety inspection certificate, I checked it out thoroughly and it looked mechanically perfect. I decided to trailer it the 3 hours home just because it was early spring and the roads were still salted and it was raining.
When I got it home it turned out it was VERY original; original coolant and other fluids! None of which were ever checked or topped up apparently! Between the nearly empty radiator and rear diff my trip on the highway would have been short! Never drive an unknown car more than a block until you can go through everything.

Killed a Yenko eh? Not many people can say that!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 PM
GBC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay off hwy to keep speed down. Spend at least a day going over car before leaving.
Change all fluids.Take it slow, it will be an adventure
I have made several cross country trips fly in drive/ride back. Good times.

Last edited by GBC; 05-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Bah! You'll be fine!

Just fill it with 87-octane and hit the highway!

And please, whatever you do, record a video of the whole thing!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Just take it nice and easy... one quarter mile at a time.

3000 miles x 4 = 12,000 quarter miles.... 8 secs per, that makes 96000 seconds.... 60 secs per minute = 1600 minutes...
divided by 60 minutes per... you should be home in.... 27 hours!

Last edited by PRNDL; 05-17-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A jerry can and a good pair of hiking boots
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM
RodgerF
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PRNDL,

I like where your head's at!!

Rodger
Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 AM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blownstingray
So i just bought a 1200 hp 8-71 blown 502 .030 over 1974 stingray and am driving it across country. what should i expect for mpg out of a 4 speed richmond t 10 and 3.73 diff with drag tires on the back? What kind of tools should i bring and what should i be checking on the journey home? I havent bought the car yet but what should i be looking for during the inspection? Thanks for your help this is my first classic car!
Well I would say your car is not meant for long road trips. 1200hp is not meant to be used on the highway, it is meant to be trailered to the drag strip to run a 1/4 mile at a time.

I have 500hp with the T-10 and a 3.70 diff and I can easily go through a half a tank of gas just driving around town without any long runs on the highway.

I am planning to put in a 5 speed or 6 speed transmission to make highway driving more manageable. 1200hp would not be manageable on the highway even with an overdrive transmission and lower diff gears. JMHO!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:46 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Seeing that this thread is over a year old, And I see he hasn't been back on since then, I would guess the guy decided to make the trip and was never heard from again.

Last edited by persuader; 08-19-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by donyue
Well I would say your car is not meant for long road trips...
You are answering a post from 18 months ago...

Quick Reply: I put a deposit on a blow1974 stingray and am plaing to drive it back acrosse country