Sponsored by:

need the keen eyes on this board

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I live and work in the general area of Charlotte (visit there often and watch the trade papers) and I think that, for this market, that is a high price. A really nice daily driver would be more in the $7500 - $8500 range for that model. Customizations, such as all the do-dads and gee-gaws on that particular car lead to more questions about its history. I'd keep looking unless you just have to own that particular car and have money to spend on all the unexpected surprises that await after an emotional purchase (don't ask me how I know).
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you want...and the seller is willing to do so. You can bring it by my shop and I will give it an inspection. The level of inspection depends on the owner. Meaning...will he allow me to raise the car and look at things...or would he NOT prefer a Corvette guy looking at the car and being able to pick it to death.

Also...I would DRIVE the car and REALLY...REALLY feel it out. Is it controllable at interstate speeds ...or is it all over the road. Does it react badly to ruts and bumps in the road while driving at high speeds???

How do the brakes feel...do they pull to one side or the other???

WASH the car and look for water collecting in the floor boards. These car are know to leak...and the last thing you want is to have Lake Superior and Lake Huron in your car.

Wind noise when driving.

NOW...if you bring it by...this is how it works. I look over the car...and then I get back to you WITHOUT the owner being there...so I do not have to contend with an owner of a car who thinks that I am playing favorites. All I do is inform you on what I see and what you can possibly be looking at for immediate repairs.

I have looked over more Corvettes than I can count so it will not take long for me to get a "feel" on what has happened to this Corvette over its life. SO...there is NO COST TO YOU...other than your time to bring it by.

NOW...if an expensive inspection is required...where parts have to be removed...then we will have to discuss that later.

Last edited by DUB; 05-22-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
procketus
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Very nice offer Dub.

To the OP, if you can get that car to Dubs he WILL let you know what is right and what is wrong with it. Been to his place a few times and had some interesting conversations, the man knows his stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

That add is written like a typical used car lot add. "Too many extras to mention" and it wouldn't be complete without "this Stingray is a steal".

With what you have to spend I also think you should keep looking.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeg's catalog engine compartment, Sharper Image interior but original Medium Red paint???? I have concerns. The Astro Vents on the rear panel should be body color for starters. Get some good help looking if you are all warm and fuzzy about this one for sure and perhaps you'll know what you are really buying.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear bumper cover's wrong for a 74.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 PM
johnnyjaws
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why was it rebuilt with only 78000 miles on it
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM
ibeeskeef
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses. Most of them have been helpful for sure.

Judging from these responses, some of you must have been burned very badly on deals in the past.

I talked to the guy who posted the add again last night trying to set up a time to see the car. He again stated his son in law was out of town and would not be back in town until next week so the car was not available to show until then (for anyone.) This means the "actual owner" will have to be present when the car is shown. I may be more naive than most but this sale does not strike me as any kind of scam like people have warned against. Obviously I want to have the car inspected and examined carefully before any funds trade hands and I will check the title closely to make sure there are no descrepancies if we get to that point.

The engine rebuild was initiated by the owner who is out of town so the question of documenation and why a rebuild at 78k miles will have to be answered when he gets back in town. Those are very legitimate questions and I appreciate the advice to ask.

Finally, DUB, that is an amazing offer!!!

I plan to contact the seller when he is back in town and find out on what side of Charlotte he is located. I will PM you for details and would definitely be willing to pay you for your time inspecting the car. If the inspection gets to any point where "parts have to be removed" then you can close it up and send the seller on his way. I can assure you I would not be interested at that point.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am not emotionally attached to this particular car any more than it seems like one worth checking out in my area. I will call and speak to the actual owner when he returns to town and see where it goes from there.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dub rocks, he's a big help over on the paint and body section also, among others
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Okay -- Why even list the car for sale if no one is to be able to see it until the actual owner is back in town?

Personally, they are (more or less) wasting your time until something could actually be done. You have more patience than me.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ibeeskeef

Judging from these responses, some of you must have been burned very badly on deals in the past.
If you hang around here for a while, you'll note an almost continuous procession of people who are in too much of a hurry to spend too much money. At least you asked questions before you bought- many don't.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Camivette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

North side of Charlotte

Quick Reply: need the keen eyes on this board