Sponsored by:

Opinion thread on car buy. How'd we do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Father & son (17) project underway. Son's 1st. Vette

The, 'Hey, what do you guys think?,' threads are some of the most entertaining I've read, and I love the experienced replies. Looking for comments on how we're doing so far, and any good ideas.

So here goes; my son, 17, just bought his first Corvette. Sunflower Yellow (w/stupid Macco paint job - looks OK from 10 ft.) 1976 L48 coupe with auto. It's our first 'project car (he and I together): I've estimated 2 months to completion, so not a real complete mess. Solid frame, no rust.

(This is what the car had when we bought it): Original engine, trans, etc, but modified . Engine is a beast, runs strong. Minimum a hi-performance cam, likely bored over .30 (unsure as we did not get engine build specs, guessing 300 HP till we dyno it). Other mods the car had were a new solid piece steel harmonic balancer (JEGS?), Weiland Stealth intake, Edelbrock carb, orig. manifolds, new 2 1/2 inch straight pipes with new FlowMaster pots. Acel HEI Super Coil distributor. Engine was prettied up with Edelbrock chrome finned air filter assembly, chrome valve covers, new chrome alternator, new OEM radiator and radiator housing, new power steering pump, new water pump, new pullies, new flywheel, 2700 stall converter, braided hoses. Engine was powder-coated, Rebuilt differential, new u-joints. 4x new calipers and pads. Also had new lower ball joints. Centerline drag rims (in excellent shape), two brand new 255 60R15 Cooper Cobras and two with 70% tread left. Coils in front and rear 7 leaf spring were both newer and in perfect shape; car is as stiff as can be.

When we got it, the interior was completely pulled out of it, and it needed most parts repaired, and/or replaced. Seats were a newer custom recover, same with door panels, both brought back to very good condition with $60 at the local upholstery shop. Carpet is newer, not brand new,we steam cleaned it, now its in great shape, no fading waiting to go back in.

That's what we started with. Here's what we've done. Rebuilt steering ram, new idler arm, new poly bushings lower a-arms, new poly mounts and end-links for 7/8" sway bar, new shocks front and rear, new wheel bearings front (repacked of course), new upper ball joints, new poly dust boots - upper and lower ball joints and tie-rod ends, new chrome flywheel dust cover. New window washer pump. All other bushings and mounts look great, trailing arm bushings are not new, show wear, but are still tight and functional.

Interior-wise, came with new wiper switch and high speed blower fan relay, both work as they should now. We've ordered new chrome vents all the way around (AC car, not installed), new upper and lower LH dash pads. We are recovering the pilar posts and quarter panels, and kick panels with a very nice and color appropriate vynil. Car came with all new AC interior ducting never installed. We bought new console housing. Came with new e-brake housing. We are replacing the headlamp switch (all external lights and vacuums work as they should), new data chip for tachometer, it worked, but not well. Replaced needles on speedo and tach, new shifter cable ordered (stiff), and completely redid soundproofing with Dynamat (Dynamat came with car), and additional layer of thermal heat and sound proofing. New weather-stripping. Added a sound barrier to doors. New Sony digi-media stereo, Rockford Fosgate Punch 4-channel amp, Alpine 6x9's rear, Pioneer in Dash, Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" in kick panels, and we are building a box that will house 6x9's and 10" Infinity sub and 300 Watt Mono-amp ( the 5" depth style that stands tight against the rear compartment of the cabin.

That's about it. Planning a new paint job to return it to its original metallic brown, with yellow GS stripes. Also thinking of staying with the yellow (still getting new paint), but adding carbon fiber accents to hood scoop and matching GS stripes. Could still use new taillights, new rear window trim, new t-top moldings, and new lower RH dash pad, but the stuff that is there now is workable.

What do you think? Should be a good car with a solid value? Any ideas about improvements we could make that are worthwhile doing on these cars?

Last edited by 1976wanderlust; 05-26-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 PM
georgiaboy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the value of the 75, but I do know the relationship with your son while working on a project is priceless. My son and I worked on a project car when he was 17 and we created memories that were priceless. He is 48 now and we still talk about the experiences we had working on that car. Took two years, but every minute was worth it. Good luck with the project ..........
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Originally Posted by georgiaboy
I don't know about the value of the 75, but I do know the relationship with your son while working on a project is priceless. My son and I worked on a project car when he was 17 and we created memories that were priceless. He is 48 now and we still talk about the experiences we had working on that car. Took two years, but every minute was worth it. Good luck with the project ..........
I did a project with my Dad when I was younger. Took 5 years. Was way too much work, but some good memories, and I learned allot. Part of the reason I chose a car for him that didn't need more than 2-3 months to get up and running for a first time out. 5 years nearly killed my interest in the car, and by the time I was done with it my tastes had changed. His excitement for the vette will never have the chance to wane, plus, well, it's a vette, I did an MG - I know, what was I thinking. Lucas, Spawn of Satan!!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 AM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Pictures added

Last edited by 1976wanderlust; 05-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

ttt
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like a GREAT father and son project! good for you guys.....as far as your question "how'd we do?".........i'm not exactly sure what you are asking? if you want to know if you are in good shape on value vs expenditures, or if you are "upside down" in the car already, we would have to know what you purchased the car for, and how much you have spent since then. IMO the more mods you do to it, the more you hurt your chances of getting your money back out of it. but if you just are asking in general "how'd we do?", like i said, looks like a GREAT project for you guys! enjoy it. Rick
Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Originally Posted by razman
looks like a GREAT father and son project! good for you guys.....as far as your question "how'd we do?".........i'm not exactly sure what you are asking? if you want to know if you are in good shape on value vs expenditures, or if you are "upside down" in the car already, we would have to know what you purchased the car for, and how much you have spent since then. IMO the more mods you do to it, the more you hurt your chances of getting your money back out of it. but if you just are asking in general "how'd we do?", like i said, looks like a GREAT project for you guys! enjoy it. Rick
Bought her for $5000, and have $7500 into it right now and about ready to get it on the road. All the parts we need to finish are already purchased. Paint will come later this year, but we have a wholesale paint connection, so looking at $2000 all painted and ready to go with some elbow grease.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 AM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

well, by the time you get it painted, and run into a few more "odds and ends" that you didn't count on (trust me on this) you will have over 10k in it.....perhaps you will be a bit upside down at that point, but not terrible. and hopefully that wasn't the point of the whole project, the value will be "priceless" in other ways. good luck with it! Rick
Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck looks good so far
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976wanderlust
Looks like there is no lack of space to work on this project.

There are reasons that this Corvette hobby is not always about how much money you spend on a "project car" or even what's spent to buy the car of your dreams. I can't think of a better reason than "a father and son project". This is not about how much money is tied up in the car when it's done. This is about the time spent and the bond between you and your son which can't be measured in dollars and cents. To repeat what's already been said this is about creating a life time of memories which has no price tag.
Good luck going foward and enjoy every minute.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Looks like there is no lack of space to work on this project.

There are reasons that this Corvette hobby is not always about how much money you spend on a "project car" or even what's spent to buy the car of your dreams. I can't think of a better reason than "a father and son project". This is not about how much money is tied up in the car when it's done. This is about the time spent and the bond between you and your son which can't be measured in dollars and cents. To repeat what's already been said this is about creating a life time of memories which has no price tag.
Good luck going foward and enjoy every minute.
I absolutely agree. My son looks at this car as one that will be his for life. I still have my M G, still having electrical issues with it, LoL! I want to teach him not to cut corners, and do the best work you can, even if that choice cost a little more. But I also want to teach him about value, and we certainly aren't going to go $20,000 into a car worth $10,000. That being said, you never get in monetary terms back out of what you put into it on a Project like this except the joy of doing it and the car of course :-) I'm not interested in applying a $ value to something that he has no intention of selling. I just want to know we're in the ballpark, and I think we are. I've never owned a Corvette, and working on this beauty with him, I can tell you that I will someday! I'm thinking BB chrome bumper/s year c3 for me. Then we can have matching his and his in the driveway!!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Looks like there is no lack of space to work on this :
Yeah. We're spread out all over the place at the moment, looks like a vette bomb exploded. It does give a solid time-frame for completion however.... We have to be done by the start if hay season in 4 weeks!! Or else!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Originally Posted by razman
well, by the time you get it painted, and run into a few more "odds and ends" that you didn't count on (trust me on this) you will have over 10k in it.....perhaps you will be a bit upside down at that point, but not terrible. and hopefully that wasn't the point of the whole project, the value will be "priceless" in other ways. good luck with it! Rick
That's about what I figured. And yes, we really are having a good time! I've already started him looking ahead too. On my Ranchero GT project, I have an extra 1970 351C-2V (mine is a modified 4v - 400+hp with minimum external mods.). While he now says he's a Chevy guy for life and looking around for a 1966 Malibu, I've given him the 351C-2V for his help on my Ranchero, and told him to look for a 1970-1971 Mustang Fastback project w/o an engine. He's all Chevy right now though Lol... However, I hope to start another project with him in a year or so. He's a sophomore this year, so his senior year we may have time to start one. Until then... He'll be having one hell of a good time in his daily driver vette!!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion thread on car buy. How'd we do?

Quick Reply: Opinion thread on car buy. How'd we do?