Sponsored by:

Outside driver side door handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Commodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outside driver side door handle

1975 D/S outside door handle works intermittently? Inside door handle works as it should all the time as do the inside manual and outside key door lock. The power window is alright with no binding or uneven up/down motion. Striker location is correct and everything is nicely lubricated and secure at the latch.
Probable cause and fix before I pull the interior door panel off. I hate pulling the door panels on these cars .
RB
Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done outter door handles......sell the car.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It could be several things but all will involve removing the interior door panel. It could be an adjustment of the linkage from the physical door handle to the arm on the lock/striker assembly or it could be too much play in the assembly and just needs to be replaced.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Looks like I'll be pulling the panel. My bet is the linkage from the bottom of the outer latch assembly needs to be adjusted. We'll see. Thanks all.
RB.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang. I have to do my passengers side door handle as well. The curved rod from the handle to the latch is binding. And I never did adjust the windows to the convertible top. Might have to clear my schedule for the next week.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Are collector cars exempt from being right hand drive in NZ? It used to be that any car that was street driven in Australia had to be converted to right hand drive to be street driven. It's been some time since I have been to NZ (8 times!) that I've forgotten which side of the road you Kiwi's drive on. By the way, anyone that's never been to NZ needs to put it on their must see list. New Zealand is spectacular!
RB
Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi you can drive l/h dive cars in australia but have to be over 30 years old and left standard,only options that were from the year are able.
I would replace outer handle if door panel of not that bad once you do one
Ian
Old 06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RB, thanks for your kind words!
We drive on the left here in NZ, and cars over 20 years old can be imported left hand drive. Newer cars can as well if they meet the criteria of "special interest vehicle" ie less than a few thousand made. I forget the exact number. The only hassle I have is turning right against oncoming traffic, and overtaking. I have to rely on my wife to give me the all clear! If you want to check out NZ scenery, get The Hobbit, or any Lord of the Rings movies.

Get notified of new replies

To Outside driver side door handle

Quick Reply: Outside driver side door handle