Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Convertible - New Glass Windows

Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Default 68 Convertible - New Glass Windows

The windows in my 68 have chip marks on the top of the windows where the windows used to contact weather stripping mounting screws on the hardtop. There was violent shaking with the hardtop on the car and so the impact and chipping to the window glass. It's always annoyed me since 1972 when I bought the car!!!

I bought used window glass on eBay a few years ago. Looking to install these windows, I realized that the windows are scratched and have wear sections in the glass where the door/window seals contacted the glass. The scratches are pretty much microscopic...you have to hold the glass up to the sun light at a particular angle, but when you do you can see them plainly.

I can buy a pair of new window glasses for about $650. These are reproductions, not NOS. I have no clue if they are manufactured with original factory tooling or if they are just some inaccurate repro's. I have Googled this and one Corvette magazine reported buying "new" window glass to install and didn't report a fit problem.

Anyone bought "new" 68 Corvette window glass? How did it fit. The factory 68 window glass was installed in all 68's and early 69's. It has eight holes drilled in each window pane along the bottom. The late 69 and up factory glass five holes per window pane along the bottom.

Thanks

Becoming sensitive about window glass scratches, my 08 Corvette with 9300 miles on it has two closely matched microscopic parallel scratches on the passenger's window. They are about 45 degrees to horizontal and about 4 inches long. Maybe a women's diamond ring?

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 07-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things I've heard.
Repo's seem to be thinner, this may have been corrected by now though.
The other is that if you can run your fingernail over the scratch and not catch it, you should be able to polish it out. I think Eastwood makes a kit.
I'd keep my originals if possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Perfmach1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm Looking for 1969 conv. door glass now. I have a buddy that installs glass for a living. He recommended PGW OR PINKERTON goggle these two companies. He said they fit the best and some of the cheaper ones don't fit at all. I hope to order mine next week. I will update once I get mine.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is future judging a concern for you? Original glass is coded and dated; both are judged.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Is future judging a concern for you? Original glass is coded and dated; both are judged.

When my windows are rolled up, all I see is the Astro-Ventilation embossing on the windows. The are no numbers or codes showing. Wonder if these were the original windows. The car was coming close to being a parts car when I bought it in 72. It had front and rear end body damage.
I'm only a purist to the extent the interior is stock (except for 69 head rests) and the exterior is stock, except for the 69 factory side exhausts. The engine is a ZZ4 driving through a TKO-600 five speed. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
...the interior is stock (except for 69 head rests)...
The head rests were optional for the 68s.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 68/70,
I believe ALL auto glass sold in the U.S. needs to have the manufacturer's identifying info on it.
On your present glass look for a VERY lightly etched logo and date code on the bottom rear of the door glass right above the door lock flapper.
If you decide to pursue new glass consider glass from Auto City Classic in Minnesota.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

http://www.autocityclassic.com/index...=252&Itemid=48
Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know if the green tinted glass from autocity glass is the accurate tint color? I only need one side and I would be concerned about the tint matching.

Thanks, Craig
Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CF6873
Does anyone know if the green tinted glass from autocity glass is the accurate tint color? I only need one side and I would be concerned about the tint matching.

Thanks, Craig
Most of the glass tints are different call Auto City Classics and make sure they are bringing them to Carlisle and match theirs to your original if it matches and you don't care about the date code buy it there and save the shipping.
Mark
Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Thanks to all of you!!!! I'll follow up on the autocityclassic website that was cited.

I'll give a call for the windows. I was looking at their website, looks like a new windshield for my 70 is $339. I think I'll buy one while they're still available. It's windshield has scratches from wipers losing their rubber. That's one of the VERY FEW defects that car had that I knew about when I bought it.
My head rest story: I wanted to get head rests as a safety issue in case I ever got rear ended. The seat backs need to have the head rest shaft receptacle. I bought a set of 69 seat frames on eBay and used the seat backs for my intended head rest. Typical for eBay, they arrived in worse condition than the picture...they were rusted. I soaked them in a vinegar bath to de-rust them, and then repainted them. Next, to get the seats on their way to Al Knoch, I took them to him when he was at the Pomona Fairgrounds. They went back to his El Paso facility for recovering in leather and to have the head rests added. Al had just recently, at that time, obtained the original factory molding that made the 68/69 headrests, so I have a set of new headrests. The interior shaft of the head rests was from a head rest set I bought on eBay and sacrificed. It's the medium bright blue interior

As long as I raving on about the seats, might as well do the seat belt story. Apparently only 35 68 Convertibles had shoulder belts. I sent my 68 lap only seat belts to Snake-Oyl for reconditioning and requested the shoulder belts also. After parting ways with $800, I received duplicates of the factory 68 lap and shoulder belts. Just to make a long story shorter, the 68 shoulder belts are not practical...they don't have retractor reels, so when you put them on tight, you can't lean forward to look in the door mounted rear view mirror. If you concern is practical shoulder belts, you have to go to the 69 system...but the 69 system doesn't really look right in a 68.

Thanks again

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 07-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Convertible - New Glass Windows

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 Convertible - New Glass Windows