Sponsored by:

Frame Experts, Need Help - '73 vs. '69-'72

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM
EWahl
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frame Experts, Need Help - '73 vs. '69-'72

My '71 (auto) is in desperate need of a frame swap...or major surgery. I have found two frame options locally, which are:

1) '72 4sp - decent shape; would modify the tranny cross-member; not sure of its past, so would send to frame shop to straighten and prep as required; transfer my susp and run new lines

2) '73 auto - this is full rolling chassis off of a "running" car; body, engine comp, other stuff is hacked, so it is being parted out; frame is in good shape

In searching for details about the differences of the '73, all I have come up with is that the body mounts were dropped for thicker rubber.

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me determine if there were other changes. For example, did the frame horns change for the new front bumper requirements or did that change wait until '74?

Any help is appreciated...
Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

http://www.71corvette.com/frames.html

Old 06-22-2013, 03:41 AM
EWahl
Heel & Toe

Thanks Mike...that's the reference where I learned about the body mounts being lowered in '73.

There was no mention of the front frame horns, so I wasn't sure if it was all inclusive.

I continue to dig through threads for more info on the topic. Rick B. (72LS1Vette) swapped a '72 frame for a '73 and had to tweak the front bumper brackets to line-up with holes in the front frame horns. Not sure if he used the '73 rubber mounts (taller) when dropping the body.

I also found a post that mentions the proportioning valve is located closer to the A-arm in '73.

Still digging...
Eric
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd use a '72 frame before I'd use a '73. Even with the modded x-member.
Carter
Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EWahl
Thanks Mike...that's the reference where I learned about the body mounts being lowered in '73.

There was no mention of the front frame horns, so I wasn't sure if it was all inclusive.

I continue to dig through threads for more info on the topic. Rick B. (72LS1Vette) swapped a '72 frame for a '73 and had to tweak the front bumper brackets to line-up with holes in the front frame horns. Not sure if he used the '73 rubber mounts (taller) when dropping the body.

I also found a post that mentions the proportioning valve is located closer to the A-arm in '73.

Still digging...
Eric
The body mount lowering is very slight so I wouldn't worry about it. I used solid mounts but using rubber mounts would probably be very close to the same height.

IIRC I had to drill one extra hole in the bumper brackets and elongate one other hole to get the bolts in. Unless your car was being scrutinized by a Corvette expert no one will ever notice.

I don't know if the proportioning valve is relocated on the 73 frame. I put in new brake lines and everything lined up correctly.

Rick B.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:29 AM
EWahl
Heel & Toe

Thanks Rick!...

BTW, I plan to rig up a chain fall similar to the one you and your sons used to lift the body. You guys did some great work in tight quarters!

-Eric

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Experts, Need Help - '73 vs. '69-'72

Quick Reply: Frame Experts, Need Help - '73 vs. '69-'72