Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket steering wheel options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket steering wheel options?

I drive a 1976 stingray corvette. I just ordered all of my top end build parts and am planning on 350hp. Now If im gonna be driving alot faster I need a new steering wheel. Stock is way too big and is falling apart.

I have the tilt and telescopic wheel column fyi.

I contacted grant because I wanted one of there 3 spoke challenger series steering wheels. They said they do not have an adapter for my column though. They said contact momo. I did no response.

Does anyone know of anything that can adapt a 3 spoke aftermarket steering wheel to my column? I would like to keep tilt option but do not care about telescopic. Also I do not care about keeping horn either. Not like you can hear it over my exhaust anyways
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I got mine off ebay. Check out the high end of Momo steering wheels.
Momo Steering Wheels
If your car is black and chrome with machined aluminum parts they have some really nice matching wheels. Also the perforated leather in the Millennium Evo steering wheel exactly matches the perforated leather in the C5 black sport seats should you choose to upgrade.

I think this is the one I ordered 4 years ago:

Adaptor

Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

searching this forum and the net, cause I have a 76 also, I've found that the options for my 76 with the 'vega' wheel are limited to either converting the top of the steering column to either an earlier or later year C3 cause the 76 is a one year setup and they didnt make or now carry anything for it , or to convert the entire steering column to an earlier or later C3 column. There are a few excellent threads in tech. section that also have the part numbers.
...or...live with it , it grows on you, and after all its a one year only setup...which makes it ...'mo special' than the other C3's with their multi-fits all years wheels
hope this helps

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 06-24-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewn
Momo Steering Wheels
If your car is black and chrome with machined aluminum parts they have some really nice matching wheels. Also the perforated leather in the Millennium Evo steering wheel exactly matches the perforated leather in the C5 black sport seats should you choose to upgrade.

Adaptor

I really like your center console set up, got any info yould like to share?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a 76 and would like to change the wheel too
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Mewn
Pro

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
I really like your center console set up, got any info yould like to share?
Thanks, here is a previous thread with some pics.
As always it is a work in progress..
Handmade dash with ipod 2
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I just changed mine on my 74 last week. What a difference. The original was hurting my hands.
Sorry for the mess, just got it out.

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/76/

OOPS, just noticed it does NOT fit a 76...not sure why, I would call them to see what they had instead.
Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by 74Ken; 06-24-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Originally Posted by Mewn
Momo Steering Wheels

Adaptor

Is yours a 76? The 76 is a column special for its year. Like has been said. If it is. Did you just order the adapter then any 3 spoke wheel fit?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

http://www.ecproducts.com/products/1...-exc-76-69-82/

http://www.ecproducts.com/products/1...ope-column-76/

What about that adapter and wheel? This should work?

With that adapter could I fit any 3 spoke wheel on it? Or just that one.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Looks like that second kit should work, I may have to look closer into that so I can get rid of my vega wheel

EDIT: It seems you have to be a dealer to buy that kit but it doesn't say where you can get them from a retailer...

Last edited by AirborneSilva; 06-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Mewn
Pro

Mine is a 81. Not sure what the difference is from a 76. I had to lock down the telescoping feature and the horn button does not work (As is). I believe the adapter fits any normal Momo or Grant steering wheel. It is the stock Corvette hub that has the wack non universal bolt pattern from what I remember.. Hope this helps!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Looks like that second kit should work, I may have to look closer into that so I can get rid of my vega wheel

EDIT: It seems you have to be a dealer to buy that kit but it doesn't say where you can get them from a retailer...
Soooo we are back at nothing

Come on guys SOMEONE on this forum with a 1976 corvette has to have changed the wheel. I need this vega wheel gone.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe some of the Vette parts suppliers have the adapters. It is my understanding this is the only way any other wheel is going to fit. Oh and by the way, the last time I saw a price on the adapters, it was close to $200.00.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

A few weeks ago I removed the adapter kit on my '76 which allows for the earlier and later C3 Factory wheels to be installed since the wheel I had was flimsy along the top. I decided to try the Grant adapter that isn't suppose to fit the 1976, which it doesn't in respect to retaining the telescopic feature but since you don't what that or need it you can buy the following adapter kit and choose the wheel you want that works with the kit.

You'll have to adjust the telescopic all the way down and tighten the screw to hold it there. Mine has a slight gap between the steering column and the hub ring for the steering wheel. The single horn wire set up works fine and a standard steering wheel puller is all you need to remove the factory wheel.

I'll try to remember to shoot a few photos when I get home from work tonight and post them for you.

Kit #4193

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/276/

Wheel that I bought at a local Pep Boys

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/66/

Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Planbmatt1
Soooo we are back at nothing

Come on guys SOMEONE on this forum with a 1976 corvette has to have changed the wheel. I need this vega wheel gone.
I did send that company a message via their web page asking for the name of a retailer that sells their kit, we'll see...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
A few weeks ago I removed the adapter kit on my '76 which allows for the earlier and later C3 Factory wheels to be installed since the wheel I had was flimsy along the top. I decided to try the Grant adapter that isn't suppose to fit the 1976, which it doesn't in respect to retaining the telescopic feature but since you don't what that or need it you can buy the following adapter kit and choose the wheel you want that works with the kit.

You'll have to adjust the telescopic all the way down and tighten the screw to hold it there. Mine has a slight gap between the steering column and the hub ring for the steering wheel. The single horn wire set up works fine and a standard steering wheel puller is all you need to remove the factory wheel.

I'll try to remember to shoot a few photos when I get home from work tonight and post them for you.

Kit #4193

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/276/

Wheel that I bought at a local Pep Boys

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/66/

Sweet! So If I order this adapter and that wheel which I like! It will hook up to my column and the wheel will hook up just the telescopic feature will be gone? Which im totally fine with. If so ill order right away!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is basically the way I installed mine, though my adaptor come from Eckler's about 10 years ago (haven't seen them listed in a long while).
I replaced the "star screw" with a couple of set screws to lock the telescoping function in place, and I had to drill & tap a small hole inside the adaptor for a horn ground.

Get notified of new replies

To aftermarket steering wheel options?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Alright I guess ill order them

How hard was the install?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Originally Posted by Planbmatt1
Alright I guess ill order them

How hard was the install?
Not hard at all, maybe an hour

Quick Reply: aftermarket steering wheel options?