Sponsored by:

Vacuum Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vacuum Troubles

Well, I believe I have found the source of my vacuum troubles. The PO put a 750 Holley (because he doesn't like Edelbrock). When he added the Holley, he tied the headlights, brake booster, and wipers all-in-one. My brake booster was hissing due to low vacuum. So, I said screw the headlights and wipers for now, and just hooked up the brake booster straight to the carb like it should. But, when I did, the car's idle went down and struggled to stay at 400. I started messing with the idle screws and notice the PO just slapped the carb on, and didn't tune it to maximize vacuum pressure.

On a side not, I re-upholstered my "T" top panels. I bought some off white headliner material and contact adhesive and went for it pics to follow. But, one of the panes will not snap together like it should. I know Mid America sells a headliner kit that deletes the Velcro snaps and uses screws, but do they sell the screw kit by itself? I am pretty proud of the job I did, and it only cost me $30.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Before:

Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If your booster is hissing it has nothing to do with how many things you have hooked to it's vac line, It probably has a bad seal between the pushrod and booster.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Well, I only hooked up the booster to the carb and the hissing has now stopped. The brakes are still a bit spongy, but I believe it is because the brakes need bled. Last night I lost most braking power when out on a ride with my wife. When we got home, I opened the master cylinder, and the forward reservoir was empty. I added new fluid and the brakes feel better, but like i said, probably need bled.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

sounds like you have a brake fluid leak
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

I think you are right. And I believe it is on the passenger's front. I backed out and there was a puddle. Too clear, and too far from the engine to be oil. I love this car, but I am finding just the smallest details were overlooked or not maintained.

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum Troubles

Quick Reply: Vacuum Troubles