Sponsored by:

What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Outlaw Ringo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do, what to do?

A couple years ago, I bought a 76 L48/4spd car. Nothing special, but it was a running 4spd car, that would pass inspection. I probably overpaid, but hey, I wanted a Corvette! Besides,thats irrelevant now.

So it was my daily for a few months, but the motor was weak, and was using oil. My radiator had also gotten a hole in it, and the car overheated. So I decided to do some engine work.

Pulled the heads off and got them remachined, lapped the valves, shimmed the springs, got an Edelbrock intake, and a Holley Street Avenger. Figured I'd be good to go. But things are never simple. I couldn't get that intake to seal. I tried everything I knew, but I kept getting antifreeze in the oil, which is certainly isn't conductive to long engine life! I even enlisted the help of a couple professionals, to no avail.

Finally I had enough. I have a 70 C10 with a 383, but I've long wanted an LS motor in that truck. So, I said screw it, and pulled the 383 to drop in my Vette. But, I procrastinated, winter came, and with an unheated pole barn, I was less than motivated. So when spring came, I had two vehicles with no engines, and it was time for me to get shipped off to bootcamp.

I told my buddy, who is pretty mechanically proficient, that if he finished up the car and did some standard maintenance stuff, he could drive it while I was gone.

Fastforward three months. I'm back, and my car is broken. Apparently, the carb stud vibrated itself loose, and managed to find its way into the engine. Keep in mind, I don't blame my buddy. The fact that he had the car at the time doesn't have any bearing in my current dilemma.

So now, I don't know what to do. Sell the car, and take the loss? Or dump more money into it. I'm afraid to get really tied up with it, without starting a complete restore, since I don't know exactly how bad the birdcage is. I'd really like to have a nice C3 with an LS motor, but I can't justify doing that when my truck is just sitting in the garage with no motor. And that truck is going nowhere. It's my baby, and I never plan to sell it.

Also, I don't have time to do much work myself. I'm about to ship out again, and when I get back, I'll be in college, and working full time.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this far. I just felt the need to vent to people who might understand.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Sell the car and find one with an LS motor in it already. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Outlaw Ringo
Cruising

Originally Posted by qwank
Sell the car and find one with an LS motor in it already. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run.
You are very right. However, if I do end up selling it, I would probably end up using the money towards a more reliable DD. My current one is a 92 Wrangler, and while not unreliable, it needs more care and takes more gas than is really practical.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:01 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

If I were you I would sell the car and cut your loses, unless you are emotionally attached to it for some reason. I have a '76 L82 that I have about $20k more into it than it is worth but I plan on keeping it forever. It is easy to get into a car and once you are into to it, start putting more money into it than it will ever be worth. Unfortunately, because of the various factors, the '76 will never be worth a whole lot.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Never worth

Originally Posted by loflite
If I were you I would sell the car and cut your loses, unless you are emotionally attached to it for some reason. I have a '76 L82 that I have about $20k more into it than it is worth but I plan on keeping it forever. It is easy to get into a car and once you are into to it, start putting more money into it than it will ever be worth. Unfortunately, because of the various factors, the '76 will never be worth a whole lot.
I am always amazed when people think they can predict that C3 rubber bumpers cars will never be worth a whole lot. I am pretty certain a day will come that they will bring big money, it may not be soon, but someday. The ridiculous prices C2 cars bring makes no sense either, but it happened. Now, if you said a 2006 Camry will never bring money, I can buy that. But a C3 rubber bumper car is ALMOST the same car as a 69, the differences are minor. ANyway, thats my opinion.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I am always amazed when people think they can predict that C3 rubber bumpers cars will never be worth a whole lot. I am pretty certain a day will come that they will bring big money, it may not be soon, but someday. The ridiculous prices C2 cars bring makes no sense either, but it happened. Now, if you said a 2006 Camry will never bring money, I can buy that. But a C3 rubber bumper car is ALMOST the same car as a 69, the differences are minor. ANyway, thats my opinion.
True, but they made a mountain of rubber bumper cars and they are the lowest horsepower cars except for the very early vettes. They still bring good money if pristine ($18-25k), but it would take alot of money (more than $25k) to bring a rough original back to pristine.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank

How is it going to be cheaper. He has a 76 with a blown motor that isn´t in mint condition. Lets say he gets 3K for it. For him, to buy another vette with an LS motor is going to cost around 9 to 10 k. So thats 7K he has to come up with. He can get another 383 shortblock from ATK engines for around $1800. Then put all his parts onto it. With all the extra junk, gaskets , oil, whatever else he might need it will be around $2500. Thats alot better than $7000.
Lets say he goes with the LS type motor. He gets a steel block one and then all the installation junk will probably cost $5000. Still better than $7000.

And next time put lock tight on the stud.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone

There were twice as many rubber bumper cars made than the steel bumper ones. And the older ones had the more desirable engines in them. They will never be worth the big bucks of a steel bumper car, they are just more desirable.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Some people can´t afford to sell to cut the loses. If you sell at a loss you may never have enough to buy another. At least he has one now. Keep it and put a 383 short block into it.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Outlaw Ringo
Cruising

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really torn, because even though I can afford right now to go either direction, I'm also hoping to buy a house within the next 6 months. That also plays a big part in my decision.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

::
Originally Posted by 540 vette
Some people can´t afford to sell to cut the loses. If you sell at a loss you may never have enough to buy another. At least he has one now. Keep it and put a 383 short block into it.
rode in a friends 75 [love them bumperettes], it's a pooch, but the interior fit and the solid feel compared to my 68, what a difference 7 years of production refinements can make. a strong engine in a newer c3, now that's a car.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If the rest of the car is in good condition, doesn't make too much sense to me to sell at a loss. It's not a big deal to drop another motor in it.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

True, but they made a mountain of rubber bumper cars and they are the lowest horsepower cars except for the very early vettes. They still bring good money if pristine ($18-25k), but it would take alot of money (more than $25k) to bring a rough original back to pristine.
Allow me to inject,...true, they made a mountain of rubber bumper cars,...but very few have survived. They hit the bottom of the depreciation curve really quickly, (partially due to the intro of the more modern C4 in 1984), and got "used up" pretty quickly. There are more examples of nice chrome bumper cars available today than rubber bumper models.

As for the horspower issue,..pre 1974 cars used a NET HP rating. This was HP at the fly wheel taking an engine on a dyno,...no powertrain attached, no accessories, no alternator, no A/C,...not even a water pump. What we got was an average of 270hp rated bumper cars.

After 1974, the auto industry went to a NET HP rating. This took the HP rating at the rear wheel, with all accessories and options attached. It also included all the emission componets and SINGLE exhaust with catalyst converter, (although it had fake dual exhaust exiting the rear). This gave us an average 190 NET HP,...(as much as 225HP with the L-82 option). I have owned several rubber bumper C3/s over the yers. None of them have maintained the emisson equipment and all of them had been convereted to true dual exhaust.

Outside of specific Big Block cars or special High HP offerings,....the actual HP difference is not all that much if compared eqully.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I want to know how a carb stud made its way into the motor, through the carburetor... with an air cleaner on. I'm sure the answer to that will lead to more questions.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Originally Posted by Outlaw Ringo
Thanks for all the replies. I'm really torn, because even though I can afford right now to go either direction, I'm also hoping to buy a house within the next 6 months. That also plays a big part in my decision.
You sound like a young guy. Buy a house.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mick71
You sound like a young guy. Buy a house.

Put the vette in the garage and you will always have it when you get the cash to work on it.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet76te
Allow me to inject,...true, they made a mountain of rubber bumper cars,...but very few have survived. They hit the bottom of the depreciation curve really quickly, (partially due to the intro of the more modern C4 in 1984), and got "used up" pretty quickly. There are more examples of nice chrome bumper cars available today than rubber bumper models.

As for the horspower issue,..pre 1974 cars used a NET HP rating. This was HP at the fly wheel taking an engine on a dyno,...no powertrain attached, no accessories, no alternator, no A/C,...not even a water pump. What we got was an average of 270hp rated bumper cars.

After 1974, the auto industry went to a NET HP rating. This took the HP rating at the rear wheel, with all accessories and options attached. It also included all the emission componets and SINGLE exhaust with catalyst converter, (although it had fake dual exhaust exiting the rear). This gave us an average 190 NET HP,...(as much as 225HP with the L-82 option). I have owned several rubber bumper C3/s over the yers. None of them have maintained the emisson equipment and all of them had been convereted to true dual exhaust.

Outside of specific Big Block cars or special High HP offerings,....the actual HP difference is not all that much if compared eqully.
Not quite correct. The NET power rating is still taken at the flywheel, not the rear wheels. But as you correctly stated with all the power robbing "accessories" as air filter & housing, exhaust, water pump, etc. they also took a flash reading to get gross power, that is, zipped it up the rpm scale til it gave a peak reading, no sustained power reading.

Pete

Get notified of new replies

To What to do, what to do?

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Not quite correct. The NET power rating is still taken at the flywheel, not the rear wheels. But as you correctly stated with all the power robbing "accessories" as air filter & housing, exhaust, water pump, etc. they also took a flash reading to get gross power, that is, zipped it up the rpm scale til it gave a peak reading, no sustained power reading.

Pete
You are correct. To my knowledge, no Corvette came from the factory with a RWHP rating.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

I agree that you should put the '76 in the garage and hold onto it - when circumstances change, you can work on it. It's not worth taking the loss for the small amount of money you'll get for it in its present condition.

Keep in mind that chrome bumper C3's used to be looked down on until C1's and C2's went up in value to the point most couldn't afford them. Chrome bumper C3's are now demanding more money, which will increase demand for rubber bumper C3's. You don't want to be the guy who wishes he didn't sell his C3 when you see what they're going for years from now.

You should keep the original block, even if you put another engine in it.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick Reply: What to do, what to do?