Sponsored by:

Replacing a std Steering column with a Tilt column

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
tlyoung003
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a std Steering column with a Tilt column

I've purchased a Tilt/Telescoping column to replace by standard column in my 1972 Convertible. Both columns are 1972 Corvette columns. Is it a straight swap? Thank you, Tim
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes they are a straight swap. One thing to keep in mind.

The ignition switch on your new T&T column operates in the opposite direction from the ignition switch on your non-adjustable column that is being replaced. You will need to twist the two connectors 180 degrees on your vehicle's wiring harness in order for them to snap into the T&T column switch.

I hope that you were able to purchase the turn signal switch lever, the tilt lever, and the horn and telescope hardware along with the column.

This is a blowup of a 1977-82 T&T steering column telescope lock and horn hardware. The components may not be exactly the same as the components on a 1969-75 T&T column. But all of them are required.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM
72C3Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Shea

The ignition switch on your new T&T column operates in the opposite direction from the ignition switch on your non-adjustable column that is being replaced. You will need to twist the two connectors 180 degrees on your vehicle's wiring harness in order for them to snap into the T&T column switch.
Good luck,
Jim
Could you clarify on this? I'm about to swap mine as well, figured it was a direct swap but didn't know about this part.

Thanks

Jonathan
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 72C3Vette
Could you clarify on this? I'm about to swap mine as well, figured it was a direct swap but didn't know about this part.

Thanks

Jonathan

I just completed the exact same swap. The two plug wires that plug into the silver box on top of the column plug in upside down from what they were in your standard steering column. They only fit one way but you will notice they go in different than your old column. Mine worked perfectly on the first try.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
tlyoung003
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rehirsch8
I just completed the exact same swap. The two plug wires that plug into the silver box on top of the column plug in upside down from what they were in your standard steering column. They only fit one way but you will notice they go in different than your old column. Mine worked perfectly on the first try.
How long did it take you to change out the column? Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
tlyoung003
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Yes they are a straight swap. One thing to keep in mind.

I hope that you were able to purchase the turn signal switch lever, the tilt lever, and the horn and telescope hardware along with the column.

This is a blowup of a 1977-82 T&T steering column telescope lock and horn hardware. The components may not be exactly the same as the components on a 1969-75 T&T column. But all of them are required.

Good luck,
Jim
I'll have to take a look at what I have. I know both turn signal and tilt levers are in place on the column. I know I have the lever that allows the column to move in/out. And another piece. I'll have to look it up to see what it is. I know I do not have the horn button. Will the std column steering wheel and horn work on this T&T column?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

horn buttons are different.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 PM
sail154
1st Gear

I would like to make the same swap. Any suggestion s on where to purchase the tilt telescope column?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM
HUSKEE73
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sail154
I would like to make the same swap. Any suggestion s on where to purchase the tilt telescope column?
give Willcox corvette a call,or try Bairs corvette.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:32 AM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tlyoung003
How long did it take you to change out the column? Thanks
After taking out the original column, which I was doing other work anyway, it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to get the key assembly moved over. The new column just goes right into place like the old one and the existing wires blog right in. I hadn't done it before so there was extra time getting it in position for the firewall plate and bolts but now I can do it quickly.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 AM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sail154
I bought a rebuilt column from Big City Corvettes. It is exactly as advertised but spendy for the model I needed for my year. In the end I am happy.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a std Steering column with a Tilt column

Quick Reply: Replacing a std Steering column with a Tilt column