Sponsored by:

New toy is running!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
gbarrett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New toy is running!!

I had promised myself I wouldn't start working on my recently acquired '74 until I had my '84 put together again (see earlier post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ave-to-be.html). While waiting for some spot paint repairs to dry, I decided I'd finally open the hood and see what was ahead for me.

I changed the oil, took out the distributor and primed the oil pump. I used the battery from my C4 to turn it over. I quickly found the original coil was shot so I ran out to my boat and swiped its coil as it has a Chevy 305 in it. Put it on the car, sprayed starting fluid down the carb and put some gas down the vent tube. IT STARTED!!! I let it run out the gas in the carb, did it again and let it idle. It's smooth. All of that in less than an hour.

Now, here's what's ahead of me. The gas in the tank was at least 10 years old and the fuel line from the sending unit was solid goo. I drained the tank, pulled the sending unit - it's corroded and will have to be replaced as well as all of the rubber fuel lines and probably the fuel pump - no big deal. What about the tank? Since the sending unit/pickup was corroded, will the inside of the tank be as well? If so, do you clean those or replace them? To be honest, I've never had to deal with a tank other than replace a tank pump or filter.

What's the best way to go with the tank?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Cheap enough to replace through any vendor......I believe less than $300 should have you on the mend.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine afer 10 years of sitting :

They aren't that expensive, and it only takes maybe 2 hours to replace it so I would prefer peace of mind
Nick

Get notified of new replies

To New toy is running!!

Quick Reply: New toy is running!!