Sponsored by:

Corvette haters

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM
79 l-82
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette haters

So let me tell you my story. I bought my first 'Vette last year I was 47, the Corvette was 34. I waited a long time for this glorious union. I had the money several times, don't mention the desire. My wife knew when she met me that I had owed a collectors car in the '80's, not a Vette. When we pulled in the church parking lot, I could tell her who was inside by the cars parked outside. I've been a professional driver for 20 years, logged a million safe drives. If I'm not a car guy then please point me to someone who is. I'll spare you the rest of the details.
After my 1979 L-82 arrived the trouble began. I bought the car on a Thursday, drove it home on the next day. That night the car was egged by my neighbors 17 year old punk son. Of course the father denies that delinquent son was home that weekend. Since then more neighborhood punks have drizzled chocolate sauce over the paint, as well as throw rocks at the windshield. The car has an expensive clear coat paint job, the only thing that will damage it is nuclear fall out. But that is not the point. If you think the trouble is over , think again.
My in-laws (who are outlaws, no joke) have this dreadful hatred for the car. Recently I learned that they contacted an attorney friend of mine in hopes to persuade him to convince me to sell it. I am flabbergasted at this point of the unbelievable hatred that I have encountered with people 'who hate people who own Corvettes". I won't go into the attitude that has possessed my wife regarding the car. I am at my wits end in trying to understand the madness. I must also admit that had I known that there was this much opposition to Corvette owners, I would have bought one many years ago. As a helpful gesture to the adult children in my life to GROW UP !!!
So in response to this I need to ask my fellow Corvette owners, lovers, drivers a very important question. I have searched the net looking for a club of Corvette Haters. I can't find one. Are these abusive, dumb asses organized? Is there a "Corvette Haters Club"? Please let me know, what you know.

Sincerely, Aggreviated in New Hampshire

Last edited by 79 l-82; 08-27-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is just awful to hear. It sounds like you need to move or at least put the Vette in a garage at night. Maybe invest in a surveillance system? If family members were acting like that to me, I'd be done with them. Every family has selfish people in it, including mine. I just choose to not invest effort into those relationships.

Congratulations on a wonderful Vette and for working hard for your dream. There are just those kind of people out there and I'm sorry they are coming out of the woodwork, for you. Hang in there.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Why is this in the C6 section?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 PM
genair
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Don't let zrracer see this - he'll tell you to grow up and post it in the right section!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I would tell your family members who hate your car to go f--k off and not talk to them anymore....as far as the punk a$$ kids vandalizing your car, you really do need to set up a video camera and take it to the authorities once you catch them in the act, it doesnt have to be a high tech surveillance system just a normal video camera in your living room window (cover up the lil red light with electrical tape so nobody sees it and also set it to "extended play" so you dont run out of tape) that's really the only way to nail those punks...you could wait up all night to catch them yourself but then you open yourself up to a potentially violent confrontation and you don't want that, good luck.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Respectfully, I'm thinking your neighbor and family issues go well beyond Corvette ownership. I don't know what the back story is, but you've got issues and a fiberglass car is not the cause . . . . .

Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Respectfully, I'm thinking your neighbor and family issues go well beyond Corvette ownership. I don't know what the back story is, but you've got issues and a fiberglass car is not the cause . . . . .

Hmmm....now that you said that I'd have to agree, very insightful wise words...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Never heard of such a club...

I would just move, and buy a house with a garage.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Why is this in the C6 section, and why does everyone hate you? I'd like to hear their side of the story about the bridges you've burned. Sounds like you've pissed everyone off and they're taking it out on the car you repeatedly leave out in the open despite prior incidents of vandalism. Let's hear the full background before I dole out my sympathy.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 08-28-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Beat me to it, but I completely agree.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Blue Bandit
Racer

I agree. Sounds like jealousy.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would do loud smoky burnouts in front of your house every Sunday morning on your way to church, and pray to God for those envious sinners.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 AM
batpig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default haters

I hate everybody in case someone felt left out!Bat Pig out.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Maybe it isn't the car ..........
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Run N. Gun
Wow, that is just awful to hear. It sounds like you need to move or at least put the Vette in a garage at night. Maybe invest in a surveillance system? If family members were acting like that to me, I'd be done with them. Every family has selfish people in it, including mine. I just choose to not invest effort into those relationships.

Congratulations on a wonderful Vette and for working hard for your dream. There are just those kind of people out there and I'm sorry they are coming out of the woodwork, for you. Hang in there.
Excellent Advice. Moreover, since this is a story about a '79 Corvette, it more properly belongs in the C3 Section.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 l-82
Sincerely, Aggreviated in New Hampshire
Well there's your problem!

U.M.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Excellent Advice. Moreover, since this is a story about a '79 Corvette, it more properly belongs in the C3 Section.

I had a very good friend who went ape**** when I bought my first Vette. He is a Camaro / Chevelle guy. I got an endless blast of crap for weeks. One Saturday I went to his house with the top down and got his dumbazz in the car and we went for a ride down by the beach, burned some tires..ate some lunch and at the end of the 4 hr ride he said..I get it.

Most of the haters are just ignorant and have had a dealing with some Corvette Baller with more money than manners and they then base their assessment on this one bad experience.

as for the inlaw outlaws tell them to get over it or just go way.

welcome and nice car congrats

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette haters

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Looking where you live I'd here in lies the problem, just my opinion though...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
I would tell your family members who hate your car to go f--k off and not talk to them anymore....as far as the punk a$$ kids vandalizing your car, you really do need to set up a video camera and take it to the authorities once you catch them in the act, it doesnt have to be a high tech surveillance system just a normal video camera in your living room window (cover up the lil red light with electrical tape so nobody sees it and also set it to "extended play" so you dont run out of tape) that's really the only way to nail those punks...you could wait up all night to catch them yourself but then you open yourself up to a potentially violent confrontation and you don't want that, good luck.
I agree. Sad that people act like such jerks.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

As for those young punks, get yourself a BB rifle with a scope (they are VERY accurate up to 50 yards). Stay up one night open the window just a bit, dont stick the barrel through the window, stay inside and wait..... They will hurt. Mine breaks glass bottles at a 30-40 yard distance

Quick Reply: Corvette haters