Sponsored by:

78 speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Default 78 speedo cable

Im trying to hook up the speedo cable on my 78, auto, no cruise. Problem is, I got the car with the cable already out of it. I cannot seem to find where this is supposed to go through the firewall??? I got a new grommet for it, but is doesnt seem like it will fit any of the open holes in my firewall. If anyone has a good pic of where this grommet should go, I would sure appreciate it...AIM isnt much help here.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

...back up top...someone has to have a 78 auto with no cruise
Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

on my '79 the hole in the firewall is approx. between the brake booster and wiper motor - then downward. The hole is actually facing the passenger side of the car - not the front of the car.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Is this it

Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Thans guys...im not sure I have that same hole. hard to tell though. To the left of the brake booster I dont see any open holes, the only one in the vicinity of where you guys are talking looks like it has the headlight manual control cable? Karol, what is the other cable running through the grommet you posted? The parts catalogues show this should be a one hole grommet, so that has me confused. There are two open holes to the right of the booster, one above and one below the dash harness connector, cant really see them in this picture.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is staring right at you in your picture. it is the hole that has the silver , braided (spring) looking cable going into it. That doesn't look like a typical speedo-cable outside sheath however.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Ill double check, for some reason I thought that was something else there. Especially since when I took the car there was already another speedo cable in the engine bay??? Oh the joys of taking over sommeone else's project (actually, im having a blast with it!)
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the hole above the fuse block wires. Its the straights route to the back of the speedo. You won't be able to bend the cable to fit any other hole. In your case install it on the speedo first then route it back to tranny. Make sure it doesn't touch the exhaust.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by donnie1956
Its the hole above the fuse block wires. Its the straights route to the back of the speedo. You won't be able to bend the cable to fit any other hole. In your case install it on the speedo first then route it back to tranny. Make sure it doesn't touch the exhaust.
I have a 4spd with no cruise and there is no hole above the fuse box like in post #5. Interesting. Wonder why
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by karol
I have a 4spd with no cruise and there is no hole above the fuse box like in post #5. Interesting. Wonder why
I also have an open hole below it, neither had any kind of grommet in them when I got it...now wander my floorboards are rusted
Old 09-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by donnie1956
That hole was my fist guess, but there is NO WAY the supplied grommet fits that hole. Its too close to the edge where it bumps out for the brake booster. It seems like it would be easier to route it where Karols is...not sure what the difference between 4spd and auto routing is, i know the cruise models are totally different because of the cruise module (madulator..something or other) that sits right in that area. Ill try and see what the meatllic cable routes too...I initially thought it was the hood latch, but now I see that is up in the corner.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Here is where that cable goes too. I though this **** was the headlight manual override. But I also thought that was directly to vacuum and wasnt expecting a cable like this. Anyone confirm that? It doesnt exactly look factory, but then it is from the 70's

Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

looks like a choke cable, you can see the headlight override hanging to the left in that picture above. Im new to the C3, but i didnt think there was a manual chokee on these.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 speedo cable

Quick Reply: 78 speedo cable