Sponsored by:

Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Finally.......here's a 10 foot pic of the less-than-perfect-daily-driver seat covers install and in the car!

Hmmmmmm....the passenger's seat is missing the chrome release ****.....

Seems as though I forgot to drill out a couple broken seat mounting bolts before I installed the heat/sound proofing/carpet.......

THAT turned out to be a fun project!

BUT......it's history now................

Now for a pair of color-matching 3-point seat belts...........and floor mats.

Maybe tomorrow I can install the new horn button assembly and finish installing the console/shifter assembly.....maybe....probably.
Yep the interior is looking reallly nice with the red. But as you can see in my picture I'm into the red interior also.

Name:  2013-04-05171838_zpse9ded35e.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  95.3 KB
Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

The moderators should keep my thread directly below RVZIO's thread at all times.

They could subtitle his threads as "How to do it"
.........and my thread as "How NOT to do it!"

Originally Posted by Jack605
Mine would be more like "how to do it right the second or third time".

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
mine is more like what the hell was that idiot thinking.

"You Guys!"......................thanks---I needed some inspiration rather than perspiration!

EDIT: 2:38 a.m.

Fantastic...another PTSD nite....

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-27-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post

The moderators should keep my thread directly below RVZIO's thread at all times.

They could subtitle his threads as "How to do it".........and my thread as "How NOT to do it!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack605 View Post

Mine would be more like "how to do it right the second or third time".

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7t9l82 View Post

mine is more like what the hell was that idiot thinking.

"You Guys!"......................thanks---I needed some inspiration rather than perspiration!

Fantastic...another PTSD nite....

you guys are too much.

Last edited by 76CSRvette; 08-29-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Well.........................R A T S !

The PTSD kept me in the house all day

(The 99*F garage didn't provide much encouragement either)

.....will make a valiant effort tomorrow/I need to get a 3rd test-drive!

EDIT: Besides......RVZIO is watching me like a hawk since I gassed-him-up with that wa-a-a-aar story!

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-28-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Well.........................R A T S !

The PTSD kept me in the house all day

(The 99*F garage didn't provide much encouragement either)

.....will make a valiant effort tomorrow/I need to get a 3rd test-drive!

EDIT: Besides......RVZIO is watching me like a hawk since I gassed-him-up with that wa-a-a-aar story!

New Day/Same Story!

I'm forcing myself to go and buy that hood-radiator insulation NOW!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

New Day/Same Story!

I'm forcing myself to go and buy that hood-radiator insulation NOW!
That's right DG I am watching, however it has been hot and steamy here. Humidity up the wazoo. To hot to really do anything, especially sanding smooth some bondo.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio
That's right DG I am watching, however it has been hot and steamy here. Humidity up the wazoo. To hot to really do anything, especially sanding smooth some bondo.
I feel your pain/humidity........
I returned home with the insulation----
opened the garage door and walked in-----
started sweating meds out of my skin----
closed garage door----

and here I sit......enjoying the Forum/NOT sweating!

It's encouraging to see that you are making progress with that great-looking car!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Speaking of humidity, it was 100 here today and after work, I went back to the salvage yard to finish pulling the serpentine belt system and all the accessories, off've an '87 Caprice with a 350. The car was all the way in the back of that hot, dusty junkyard. I trudged, on and on, my boots kicking up dry puffs of dirt. The heavy bucket of tools was tiring me out and sweat poured off of me.

Suddenly five hot girls in red, white and blue bikini's jumped out from behind an old Biscayne, with spray misters and fans, a cooler full of cold Coors in the bottle. I heard rock music and woke up with my face in the dirt. No, but really, got the complete front of that motor out and it's going on the '74!

I'm back at the Shop, enjoying that Coors right now!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:15 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by F22
Speaking of humidity, it was 100 here today and after work, I went back to the salvage yard to finish pulling the serpentine belt system and all the accessories, off've an '87 Caprice with a 350. The car was all the way in the back of that hot, dusty junkyard. I trudged, on and on, my boots kicking up dry puffs of dirt. The heavy bucket of tools was tiring me out and sweat poured off of me.

Suddenly five hot girls in red, white and blue bikini's jumped out from behind an old Biscayne, with spray misters and fans, a cooler full of cold Coors in the bottle. I heard rock music and woke up with my face in the dirt. No, but really, got the complete front of that motor out and it's going on the '74!

Just suppose it really did happen.....

but you were having a heat stroke at that exact moment and you thought you were hallucinating.............

Congrats on getting the serp. system and yourself home!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F22

Just suppose it really did happen.....

but you were having a heat stroke at that exact moment and you thought you were hallucinating.............

Congrats on getting the serp. system and yourself home!

you guys are to much.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76CSRvette
you guys are to much.
Sorry to take so long to reply.....

I was tied up for an hour answering the "Age Demographic" Poll in the General Forum.

EDIT: O.K. I'll go ahead and say it...................................... ........................................ ...........................

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-29-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I just clicked on Corvette central to look at some stuff and my computer bought me here. I guess it thought I was looking for Corvette Comedy Central.

How did you make out with the overheating? You stated that you pressure tested it and it all good but have you driven it since then. Also, I think the black and red will look good in your car even if you say it was not on purpose.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by persuader
I just clicked on Corvette central to look at some stuff and my computer bought me here. I guess it thought I was looking for Corvette Comedy Central.

How did you make out with the overheating? You stated that you pressure tested it and it all good but have you driven it since then. Also, I think the black and red will look good in your car even if you say it was not on purpose.
"C.C.C.................HUGE LOL!!!!!!!!!" (Thanks/I needed that!)

(All of this "experimenting" started because Bubba had thrown away the original shroud/fan/and clutch)

I haven't driven it yet since pressure testing the system---which was a big relief to discover the reconditioned radiator system was in good shape....I'm replacing the 14" flex-fan that I installed directly onto the water pump. (I located a CFM formula and realized the flex fan didn't have enough pitch in the blades to produce adequate airflow over the engine) so I'm putting an 1800 CFM 14" electric fan in the round shroud which should produce 50% more ambient air thru the pair of 4" diameter ducts that extend to the left and right front grills........WHEW!!!!!!!!

Maybe this weekend I will be able to test-drive it after I install everything.......it's all experimental---trying to get as much ambient air on the engine as possible since I diverted the heated radiator air down under the car.

I did get the foam insulation that goes across the top of the radiator...me being a rookie, I did not realize the foam barrier was supposed to be there......it should create a high pressure area and force plenty of ambient air to the electric engine fan while driving. That was the main issue to start with-----the engine stayed at 185*F while driving thru the neighborhood/local store. Also...when I opened the hood , the hot air didn't blast me in the face since ambient air was being blown onto the engine/that encouraged me that I was doing mods that were lowering under-hood temperature ....but on the open road at 60-70 mph the engine temp would start climbing to 220* after about 10 minutes/then losing coolant by the time I could pull into a gas station.

And yes I'm hard-headed......my '34 truck 700R4 A/T 350 SBC Holley 600 has the "normal" electric fan push/pull set-up which blows the heated radiator air directly onto the engine, and it runs at a constant 185*F even with the A/C turned on (and those A/C condenser DO get hot on a 95* day!)

Now.....if I can beat down the PTSD I may get something accomplished!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

I tried 3 different radiators and 5 elec fan setup to get mine correct the last set up was best but front spoiler and radiator foam help me keep it stable at highway speeds as that was my problem at the time after that I had trouble being stuck in traffic which I fixed that problem after I check every thing all wiring and connection got battery to check fans checked relays at the end it was a fuse by battery that was bent in was not getting contact but now its good for the moment(crossing fingers) I also noticed that different years carry different pieces my kit for 76 didn't come with the piece that goes on top in between the rad and core but the 73 kit have it. I have planned on ordering the 73 kit soon. I am also looking in to putting s/s tube radiator lines as I believe my lower hose my close at high rpms (just my suspicion) But still undecided if I should get aluminum tube instead and figuring out how to route bottom tube. the top looks easy enough.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

76CSRvette........thanks for the info about dealing with different cooling combinations!

As for my lower radiator hose....I made sure that I installed a quality hose with the heavy-duty coil spring running all the way through the hose...I can't even squeeze it with the engine off!

(The top hose is starting to feel "too soft" after getting into the 220* range/boiling over lately). I'll get a new top hose this weekend since it's the only hose that isn't brand new----no sense in getting sprayed with hot water again!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I admire your attitude considering all the crap you've had to deal with. A big salute to ya' and bookoo respect ma Brutha'!

BTW. I have used those aftermrket flex fans before and they suck. the factory 7 blade moves so much more air.

Last edited by persuader; 08-29-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by persuader
I admire your attitude considering all the crap you've had to deal with. A big salute to ya' and bookoo respect ma Brutha'!

BTW. I have used those aftermrket flex fans before and they suck. the factory 7 blade moves so much more air.

Thanks!
Yes......those factory fans have a LOT of surface area and PITCH to the blades! It's a shame that Bubba did away with the original set-up.

I'll stumble across the right E-fan/duct-work set-up soon...........too hard-headed to stop now......LOL!

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

do you have the front vacuum/impact bar installed. if you do it doesn't change the cooling of car much if u take out. I did not notice a temp change or at least wasn't drastic enough im working on cutting a whole in license plate area see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76CSRvette
do you have the front vacuum/impact bar installed. if you do it doesn't change the cooling of car much if u take out. I did not notice a temp change or at least wasn't drastic enough im working on cutting a hole in license plate area see if it makes a difference.
No.

Bubba installed a "late 70s" front bumper/clip on the car years ago....but left the round signal lights in the square holes...LOL!

The whole front bumper cap needs reworking/new left and right grills are needed/new center grill will be added for better airflow.

I'm going to modify the assembly by removing the bumperettes/smoothing the area.........

then install the center grill, since Louisiana doesn't require a front license plate.

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-30-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

R A T S !!!!!

Another day/Nothing accomplished!

Time to get the violin out......................again......

A reminder to Self:

Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project