Sponsored by:

Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:20 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Well.....she seems to be real according to the web.

I wonder if she would give blood transfusions to Congress?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Hey DG, I don't have any advice or words of wisdom, and once I was told to be just silent. Silent I will be for you and yours.
R
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hey DG, I don't have any advice or words of wisdom, and once I was told to be just silent. Silent I will be for you and yours.
R
Thanks, R.........my wife and I made it through the day yesterday.....now we are building up strength to make it through Thanksgiving and Christmas (It should not be "that way"....we still haven't gotten to the point where we have "those wonderful memories").

Now it's time to ease back into the garage and "Pace myself".

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-19-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Thanks, R.........my wife and I made it through the day yesterday.....now we are building up strength to make it through Thanksgiving and Christmas (It should not be "that way"....we still haven't gotten to the point where we have "those wonderful memories").

Now it's time to ease back into the garage and "Pace myself".
Yea, I understand and that sounds like a good idea. Slow and steady won the race.
R
Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio
Yea, I understand and that sounds like a good idea. Slow and steady won the race.
R
On my way to the garage I removed the tilt column on the '34 truck to repair some pinched wiring......now, when I use the turn signals, the HORN doesn't blow....LOL!

THEN.......I had to go through the attic as I neared the garage......to repair the central heat!

THEN......as I came down the attic stairs, I spotted the Vette.......and remembered what my original mission was.........

SO..........I grabbed the new E-fan and installed it in the dedicated-engine-only shroud.......I tested it for operation and installed the shroud assembly......

BUT.........I had to leave and did not get to road-test the car to see if the new fan helped lower the operating temperature/eliminate the overheating.

I also went to manifold distributor vacuum (and did everything else you guys recommended)...........if it STILL overheats, I'm going pick up a new radiator. Tomorrow........just like you guys recommended!

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-19-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

On my way to the garage I removed the tilt column on the '34 truck to repair some pinched wiring......now, when I use the turn signals, the HORN doesn't blow....LOL!

THEN.......I had to go through the attic as I neared the garage......to repair the central heat!

THEN......as I came down the attic stairs, I spotted the Vette.......and remembered what my original mission was.........

SO..........I grabbed the new E-fan and installed it in the dedicated-engine-only shroud.......I tested it for operation and installed the shroud assembly......

BUT.........I had to leave and did not get to road-test the car to see if the new fan helped lower the operating temperature/eliminate the overheating.

I also went to manifold distributor vacuum (and did everything else you guys recommended)...........if it STILL overheats, I'm going pick up a new radiator. Tomorrow........just like you guys recommended!

I will keep my fingers crossed that you do not overheat.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jack605
I will keep my fingers crossed that you do not overheat.

Me too!

When I drive my '34 SBC street truck tomorrow....I'm going to squeeze the upper hose to see how much resistance it has at operating temperature.

If it is fairly flexible when squeezed, I will be sure that the Corvette radiator is partially blocked causing the creep temperature increase.

(Man! This overheating stuff is like catching a greased pig)
Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
180* is good. Wouldn't want it any colder. What were the ambient temps on these test runs?
Yep......180* is great.....but 60mph on highways----the temp creeps up to 220* plus....which is the problem for me........

Originally Posted by briankeery
I think the addition of a good four core, or dare I say it a Dewitts, might allow you eliminate a lot of this plumbing and go back to a more stock look cooling system. Especially with your summer climate buddy, you might be able to put this issue to rest. Maybe Santa will bring you a new rad.
Very true.......I think Santa will e-mail your post to my adult children tonight......

So.....here are the faccccccccccts:

'34 truck SBC/' 350 flat-top pistons A/T A/C.........radiator top hose can be squeezed even at operating temp with thermostat OPEN.

'06 Escalade 6 liter stock A/T A/C .......radiator top hose can be squeezed even at operating temp with thermostat open.

'68 Corvette/'70 SBC350 stock A/T .....radiator top hose CANNOT be squeezed at operating temp with thermostat open.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????

EDIT: MORE TESTING..................

Bats---it's true.....the current radiator must have been for the 327 engine---it's 7" less in width than a "standard radiator"!

Anyhow.....I pressurized the system to 20 lbs. just to be sure/spark plugs removed to eliminate cylinder pressure/let the car sit for 3 hours/then cranked over the engine to see if any coolant blew out of spark plug holes.

Results:

The pressure dropped to 18 pounds and stayed at 18 until I removed the test pump.

NO coolant blew out of the spark plug holes after 3 hours of coolant system sitting under pressure

I removed the radiator from the car and test-rigged a water hose to fill it/positioned the radiator so that the outlet was the highest point.

Results: The 40 p.s.i water pressure struggled to force the water up and out....apparently somebody put some type of radiator leak stop in it before I bought the car causing the tubes to be restricted...

that would explain why the new pump causes the upper radiator hose to be so stiff----the pump is having trouble forcing the coolant through the radiator.

SO......the head gaskets ore O.K.........and the new pump is standard rotation per water spraying out of the upper hose with the engine thermostat opened

(Being a rookie is bad.....being a rookie on meds is worse )

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-21-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brack

DG , glad its not the heads / head gaskets ...that's what I was worried about .
Exactly! Last year I changed a head gasket on the '34 truck350 SBC. I rounded the tops of the head-locating dowel pins so I could re-install the heads without removing the intake manifold---I did replace the intake gasket though.

It wasn't that bad to change the gasket (no A/C...no emissions)....but I really didn't want to take the Corvette engine apart because of overheating....it just plain runs too good to "mess with it".

I'm trying to document EVERYTHING that I do in case another rookie has a similar problem with overheating.....

AT LEAST HE'LL KNOW WHAT NOT TO DO......LOL!

AND FOR THE SENIOR MEMBERS/EXPERTS......THIS THREAD OUGHT TO BE GOOD FOR QUITE A FEW LAUGHS!!!!

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-21-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Default EyeCandy on Texas road trip

Entering Houston,Texas from the east....My wife has the "fever" and got two good pics at 60mph!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:17 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Entering Houston,Texas from the east....My wife has the "fever" and got two good pics at 60mph!

Nice pictures Mrs. DG. You know the forum will point out the wrong rocker panels but the car and the picture at 60 mph PRICELESS!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Whilst I was near Spring Branch.(Houston) Texas.......I P.M.'d Brack to see if he lived near/had an address about George's location (1960flh)...........to check out his parts inventory.

There was one small problem my V.A.-drug-induced-brain didn't catch:

[QUOTE]

I found Spring Branch in Houston........

I P.M. George 1960flh to make sure It was o.k. for me to see him Sunday morning......

I drove down from Tomball to Spring Branch...30 minute short drive......

I called him to get detailed directions to his house from the intersection I was parked at........

He didn't recognize the street names and asked exactly what area of the city that I was in/I told him Spring Branch in northwest Houston........

He said THAT was the problem-----He lived in Spring Branch in SOUTHEAST SAN ANTONIO!

V.A. meds....can't live with 'em/Can't live without 'em!

OHHHHHH WELLLL!

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:59 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just like with our cars DG , we learn something new every day . I had no clue there was another Spring Branch Texas . And since its local to me , I just assumed ( bad word I know ) it was the Spring Branch just north of Houston . Makes for an intetestiing story though .

Look what I found ....LOL

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey DG, if you ever get to the Spring Branch in Comal county let me know, I'd be honored to buy a fellow Vet lunch
Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Hey DG, if you ever get to the Spring Branch in Comal county let me know, I'd be honored to buy a fellow Vet lunch
I'll print out Bracks's info.............................

so I don't end up in San Antonio............................
Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I'll print out Bracks's info.............................

so I don't end up in San Antonio............................
I would think that after an hour or so of driving past Houston you'd figure out that something just aint right
Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
I would think that after an hour or so of driving past Houston you'd figure out that something just aint right

It could happen to ANYONE........(or just me)........

What happened was.....

I remembered 1960fi's location from his Avatar/While I was in Houston, I remembered a seeing a "Spring Branch Road"/I pulled up a map of Houston and located Spring Branch.......

the rest is.................................LOL.. .... .......history!

That is why I never go any farther than my leash will reach

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nah , several years ago ...I went to Dallas for a Youth basketball tournament . Was driving looking for the hotel ....ended up on an airport runway , don't ask me how ....LOL
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brack c
Nah , several years ago ...I went to Dallas for a Youth basketball tournament . Was driving looking for the hotel ....ended up on an airport runway , don't ask me how ....LOL
Thank you for your Service.....(I didn't realize you were a Nam combat veteran!)

Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project