Sponsored by:

Why are white Vettes harder to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 AM
jdecarlo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Bill: you and I appear to be the only two who know who she is.

I love it!

I know who she was, not so pure eh?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

sort of a stupid thread , never seen anything to suggest white brings less money, on the contrary it is more popular than most colors and most likely is the most common color.

Black and white are my favorites.

exception ,is the red neck morons that attend local,car shows , and unless the car is some red , wild crazy paint job you won't win. So a bunch over over the top whored up looking red corvettes get the attention of Walmart trained judges.

matter fact ...white is the The a color I always associated with Chevrolets , it's the color most times Chevy builds the first and last model of famous cars, and back in the day Chevy powered racing , like Chaparral were generally white. 1953 corvettes ...we're all white...... most famous old Chevys were white or Black .

OP ...... your smoking crack .....go ride your red car....I guessed before I looked , you are driving a red car .....low iQ .. just my opinion .,,so...KMA

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 09-14-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I didnt have any trouble selling my tastefully modded white 76, first person had the cashiers check, I even gave him $100 cause he had driven so far, wouldnt let him drive it till he had paid for it ,did take him for a ....spirited test ride. the nicely built 2004R is what sold it, three gear burn outs and 1800 at 65 mph
Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I would think brown, tan, dark green, and purple corvettes are the hardest to sell
Not if you're trying to sell your purple car to me then its "BONUS!". I also bought a brown Corvette, but only because I plan on painting it purple or hot pink.

And I think white is one of the better looking colours on a C3.

Last edited by Priya; 09-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a White 1977 Vette and I can pretty much tell you the color hides lots of flaws in the body. I too was snow blind when I bought the car and later to find out what kind of body work was done to it 3 months after buying the car. It had the entire rear clip replaced and I did not see it for months. They did a great job cutting it in and not visable until you see the car in the shade. I can now see the cut in lines in the Shark Fins and kills me it took months to see it. White also hides dirt almost as well as a silver or gray car does. I know hard to believe but it does after owning one for 5 months.

White Vettes were very popular from 1975 till 1981 and sold in large numbers during these model years. In 1975 thru 1977 they were the largest numbers produced. Prior to these years most popular color was almost always Green from 1968 till 1972. The site I found on colors is missing production color for a 2 years 1973 and 1974. Black was the most popular in 1979 and in 1978 the Silver on Dark Gray of course.

http://corvettec3.ca/colors.htm#1972_Options
Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I, too, checked the numbers on the '68-'72's for popular colors. White was not the top production color for these years. Actually in '68, white came in 7th in popularity, in '69 and '70 numbers are not available, '71 white was 6th, and in '72 white was 4th. Info came from the C3 registry.
Duane
Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
sort of a stupid thread , never seen anything to suggest white brings less money, on the contrary it is more popular than most colors and most likely is the most common color.

exception ,is the red neck morons that attend local,car shows , and unless the car is some red , wild crazy paint job you won't win. So a bunch over over the top whored up looking red corvettes get the attention of Walmart trained judges.

matter fact ...white is the The a color I always associated with Chevrolets , it's the color most times Chevy builds the first and last model of famous cars, and back in the day Chevy powered racing , like Chaparral were generally white. 1953 corvettes ...we're all white...... most famous old Chevys were white or Black .

OP ...... your smoking crack .....go ride your red car....I guessed before I looked , you are driving a red car .....low iQ .. just my opinion .,,so...KMA
Is it your opinion that all red Vette owners have a low IQ?

If that is the case then you, sir, have shown yourself for what you are--

As for your derogatory use of the redneck term....could it just be jealousy and a complex over the size of your...brain? and the fact you cant win a car show at Wal-Mart?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT

My Mazda 3 Hatch Back is Red, I also own a Smurf Blue Miata and my White Corvette. So I am attempting to see what this brings to the table. When I line my cars up it is Red White and Blue I have owned 3 red cars in my 16 cars I have owned and make some really good money as Windows System Administrator which requires a High IQ to remember stuff that happened years ago to fix new problems. So with that said are you suggesting I am stupid ? Yup you must be smoking Crack Do not ever suggest unless you know someone

I do not normally beat down others unless there is no sense in what is said here this dude requires it because of arrogance and prejudice. Driving Red Cars I have never got a speeding Ticket or thought myself as a redneck but did live in the South for 20 years I did have a best friend named Bubba and he was a true Redneck and never owned a Red Car.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 09-14-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 AM
tx75vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised baby blue ( I think it was called glacier blue) that was on some of the 78-79 car was not mentioned.

I personally like white and is my first choice when looking for a vette . A few years ago I was thinking about getting a white c5 z06 , but the only year they made the c5 z06 in white was 2001. The 01 model was 385 HP compared to the 02-04 that was 405 HP.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
When I bought my 69 I liked the white but I really liked how the bright blue interior popped next to the white.

The white/blue combination is next to white/red as the best in my IMO. My color combination? White/black which would be third, again, IMO
Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

I bought a White Corvette and I can tell you WHITE hides all kinds of stuff until you get the car in the right light. White is not like Black. Black shows all defects and dirt. White even hides road dirt until it builds up to point you can see it. White cars have to be really dirty to see the dirt and it

But on the lighter side a White car looks really good up close with all the defects and is not a 50 foot away car like other colors that do not hide the defects in the body work and paint.

On the other side there were a number of years that White was the most produced color so they are also less rare when you go to purchase them. This also goes into the factor of the person buying a classic they want rare colors and rare options than this also drives up the price of production cars that are in demand. From like 1975 thru 1982 White was the majority of the C3 cars built. White almost always topped the numbers

Check out this site. I have done a lot of research on C3 Corvettes after buying one a little more than a year ago. I think if you own a classic car you need to know the history of the car you purchased.

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/C3production.html

Last edited by MakoJoe; 10-09-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

My objection to white is that it's hard to tell where you've waxed and it's not the best color for showing of body lines.

But it didn't stop me from buying one.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

If mine is white with black interior, does that put it in middle for re-sell-ability due to having the worst and best color on the car??
Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Somewhat off topic but there is a white C7 that drives around near where I work and everytime I see it I want to stop they guy and ask him "What, you could'nt find a beige one?". I can see buying a old vette in white as they actually look pretty good but its terrible color on a C7. To each his own I suppose.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:50 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

A white Vette with red interior can't be beat.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my '71 LS6 coupes is white with red interior.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:17 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

As I've related before, the next door neighbor makes his living buying low mileage, used, expensive Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's, Lexus's, Porsche's. Many are bought at auctions and from private owners. They are almost ALWAYS white, pearl white, grey, black, silver, beige. He buys these colors since they are easier to resale.
Buying and selling used cars in LA just has to be very competitive...give him credit from seemingly making a good living at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are white Vettes harder to sell?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

hey i thought this thread was about soap.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 AM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not really a big fan of white corvettes even though my first 80 was white, I would prefer yellow or red over white any day. As they say re sale red but it all comes down to what you like/prefer, two tone makes sense any color
Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I actually did Meet Marylin up close ,and if my brother still has it, I will post the picture
Personally I am not fond of white or black, ( ours looks black most of the time ) but that's because I'm in the art field and enjoy color. A white vette has a classy look to me.

Quick Reply: Why are white Vettes harder to sell?