Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
bballboy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Vette...Thoughts

Purchased my first vette last month

let me know you thoughts

1979 L-82 T-Tops....2700

Car had been sitting for about 10 years, was a NC car, engine runs interior needed redone, that is complete now(all new carpet, dash and paper circuits, interior lights, new seat/foam, new sound/heat insulator, new dash).... i need to paint the car. Paint was in ok shape but had some rough spots..

Engine was running, but replaced spark plugs, valve gaskets, starter, spedo cable & transmission gear, flushed all liquids and replaced...
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM
E12n
Instructor

Congrats! Do you have any pictures?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

bball -

Congrats, you are where I was a few years ago. Mine sat for years on southern Cali hence rust was at a minimum.

First thing make sure it is safe, check brakes and steering.

Second chasing down leaks, get use to it you are going to be chasing leaks. I replaced all the water hoses and belts plus lots of vacuum hoses. The leaks that appeared were power steering ram, fuel pump, brake caliper and valve covers. The leaks were not apparent from the start but occured after starting to drive it a bit. Your gas tank may be rusty, all I had to do was siphone out the old gas but you may need to drop the tank. The fuel filer was not plugged! The carb seemed to develop internal leaks and I got the infamous bog, it is being rebuilt by a forum member as this turned out to be a bigger task than I can do. I replaced lots of hose so the headlights open and close, sometimes I have to get out of the car and give them a gentle tug to get them up.

Third Look for rust, again I was lucky, check the frame and birdcage, my rust was only a piece of metal under the radiator

Four - The interior, you can spend buttloads of money and buy new parts or you can go cheap, like I did. I bought a carpet kit from Wilcox and used BMW seats (recaros) everything else was cleaned with Simple Green, repaired as best as I could and resprayed with vinyl paint. The windows had difficulty rolling up and down and I thought that the motors were bad but I just removed the tracks, cleaned them and lubbed with white lithium grease.

Of course plugs, wires cap and rotor are in order as well

The paint was a ten footer, a good buffing and waxing did wonders.

Outstanding issues are the tach does not work and window wiper motor issues, another thing once it is at a state where you can start enjoying it get new tires, mine had 80% tread but were 14 years old, old tires I learned are a saftey concern and the car rides much much better

Good Luck and be patient with her!!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 PM
bballboy06
Racer

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
bball -

Congrats, you are where I was a few years ago. Mine sat for years on southern Cali hence rust was at a minimum.

First thing make sure it is safe, check brakes and steering.

Second chasing down leaks, get use to it you are going to be chasing leaks. I replaced all the water hoses and belts plus lots of vacuum hoses. The leaks that appeared were power steering ram, fuel pump, brake caliper and valve covers. The leaks were not apparent from the start but occured after starting to drive it a bit. Your gas tank may be rusty, all I had to do was siphone out the old gas but you may need to drop the tank. The fuel filer was not plugged! The carb seemed to develop internal leaks and I got the infamous bog, it is being rebuilt by a forum member as this turned out to be a bigger task than I can do. I replaced lots of hose so the headlights open and close, sometimes I have to get out of the car and give them a gentle tug to get them up.

Third Look for rust, again I was lucky, check the frame and birdcage, my rust was only a piece of metal under the radiator

Four - The interior, you can spend buttloads of money and buy new parts or you can go cheap, like I did. I bought a carpet kit from Wilcox and used BMW seats (recaros) everything else was cleaned with Simple Green, repaired as best as I could and resprayed with vinyl paint. The windows had difficulty rolling up and down and I thought that the motors were bad but I just removed the tracks, cleaned them and lubbed with white lithium grease.

Of course plugs, wires cap and rotor are in order as well

The paint was a ten footer, a good buffing and waxing did wonders.

Outstanding issues are the tach does not work and window wiper motor issues, another thing once it is at a state where you can start enjoying it get new tires, mine had 80% tread but were 14 years old, old tires I learned are a saftey concern and the car rides much much better

Good Luck and be patient with her!!

Was it a decent price?

i have replaced valve covers and replaced all calipars, also replaced all spark plugs/wires/distributor cap...working on my tach now, trying to figure it out...other than that she is all ready for some paint, then in the winter time a good engine rebuild
Old 10-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bballboy06
Was it a decent price?

i have replaced valve covers and replaced all calipars, also replaced all spark plugs/wires/distributor cap...working on my tach now, trying to figure it out...other than that she is all ready for some paint, then in the winter time a good engine rebuild
For the tach troubleshooting

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...ed_12_2010.pdf
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

"1979 L-82 T-Tops....2700"

Was that 2700 now....and 2700 more when the bill of sale is signed?

Just picking......good deal...despite no pics to admire!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 PM
bballboy06
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
"1979 L-82 T-Tops....2700"

Was that 2700 now....and 2700 more when the bill of sale is signed?

Just picking......good deal...despite no pics to admire!

here are some pics for now...working on finding a paint job for a decent price
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Can't see you getting hurt at $2700.
You would be hard pressed to reap the fun/pride/excitement of any other car for that kind of money.
Paint jobs are all over board, as far as pricing goes.
The fun starts now.
Congratulations.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
The fun starts now.
Congratulations.
Yup.

Congrats. Looks like a nice find. Keep us posted on your progress and of course, more pictures...
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you're on the right track to restore the car. Have Fun with your new money pit as I have had with a 1977 That I purchased this spring Driving it makes it all worthwhile
Old 10-05-2013, 12:18 AM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks great.

I see it has 2 compartment doors in stead of 3 so my assumption is that it's a late '79. Is the speedometer 85mph, or 140mph?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM
txdoglover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 79 was made Sept 18, has 3 compartments, battery behind driver, empty one and the passenger side has the jack under the compartment. The Orig owner told me he lost the jack, he just forgot where it was kept., he rarely drove it. I found it after I read the owners manual. Who da thought? Glad I didn't have to try to find one. My speedometer only goes to 85, not 140. Wondering when the changes were exactly in the compartments and the speedometer? Wish mine went to 140, hard to gauge how fast I'm going without it. Not that I go that fast, of course.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
txdoglover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBallboy06, have fun with it. Is it Dark Blue or Black? Congrats!!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you got a great deal for the money you spent .
the fun is in driving and fixing it up .
I also love the color
Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
bballboy06
Racer

Originally Posted by txdoglover
BBallboy06, have fun with it. Is it Dark Blue or Black? Congrats!!
the color is black
Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Nice car, until you get it painted a real good buff and wax might make it look presentable!

Get notified of new replies

To First Vette...Thoughts

Quick Reply: First Vette...Thoughts