Sponsored by:

Question for NCRS Judges or NCRS Officials

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 PM
DikEd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for NCRS Judges or NCRS Officials

A friend of mine is looking to purchase a 1967 BB car and he thinks since it has no paperwork but a 15 year old Top Flight that is makes it real?

Does the Top Flight authenticate the car as a real or original car?
Real meaning a Real BB car?

I always thought the Top Flight just meant the car was restored back to a "like new condition" from what ever era? Meaning the colors, finishes, etc were duplicated.

Sorry just noticed wrong section, but I guess the question is the same no matter what year.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by DikEd
A...a 15 year old Top Flight that is makes it real?...Does the Top Flight authenticate the car as a real or original car?
I am an NCRS member; not a judge or an official. Flight judging does not authenticate a car, big block, small block, real or imagined. A Flight Award means only that on the day the car was judged, it met the NCRS standards for the award.

My advice to your friend is to have the car inspected by someone who knows what to look for.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-10-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

As Mike says- there is no authentication done whatsoever during judging aside from VIN tag and trim tag on C2s.

In theory a car could be a complete built up clone with no original pieces at all. If the builders were highly skilled/devious the judges may not have realized and get fooled. Not all judges have the same level of experience- a Top Flight one day might be a Second the next or vice versa.

Even if a given car was the real deal, lots of things can get changed in 15 days or months, never mind 15 years.

Beware.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by DikEd
A friend of mine is looking to purchase a 1967 BB car and he thinks since it has no paperwork but a 15 year old Top Flight that it makes it real?
NCRS offers an Award Confirmation Service that for a fee, they will confirm an award a Corvette has received:

Award Confirmation Service
NCRS is pleased to include in the list of available services within the hobby the addition of an Award Confirmation Document. This document will provide a complete listing from our NCRS database of the available award statistics for a specific Corvette. NCRS records date back to the mid/late eighties in many cases. The Award Confirmation Document could provide an important link or be the missing piece to a vehicles history. This service includes a copy of the Shipping Data Report for your car if it is available for your model. The cost for this service will be $300 USD. Pay by Credit Card or PayPal.
Does the Top Flight authenticate the car as a real or original car? Real meaning a Real BB car?
with Mike & Mike. In addition, the 1967 judges are pretty **** and if a vehicle earned a Top Flight, on that given day it met the standards set for Top Flight.

I always thought the Top Flight just meant the car was restored back to a "like new condition" from what ever era? Meaning the colors, finishes, etc were duplicated.
Not necessarily...could have been a Corvette that had much of its originality in place and the body was painted which met the body paint standards at that time. And mechanicals met the matching numbers for both date code and broadcast codes.

Regardless...after 15 years it should be inspected as suggested. If your friend needs recommendations, I can offer a couple of suggestions. Drop me a note.

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 10-11-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

You could always call your local NCRS Chapter and ask for some help with an inspection.

Last edited by Revi; 10-11-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Mid year big blocks are prime candidates for "mischief". Given the $$$ at stake, have a KNOWLEDGEABLE person check it out. NCRS has books to help spot fake TrimTags. They also offer a service (small fee) to members to authenticate paper documents associated with an individual car.

A Flight Award is at a point in time - take the car away and things can get changed. LOTS of things can change in 15 years.

Flight Awards from Regional or National events carry more weight than a Chapter Award given that Regional/National events will have more experienced judges familiar with that year car.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by mapman

Flight Awards from Regional or National events carry more weight than a Chapter Award given that Regional/National events will have more experienced judges familiar with that year car.
Have you ever attended the Delaware Valley NCRS Chapter Meet? Not all Chapter meets fall into your "lessor then" judging.

Which just so happens to be this Sunday Oct. 13 at County Corvettes in West Chester Pa. Come see and decide for yourself.

WB

Not that DikEd's just going fishing?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet

Which just so happens to be this Sunday Oct. 13 at County Corvettes in West Chester Pa. Come see and decide for yourself.

Sorry to miss it, I'll be at a Chapter meet on the other side of the country.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

A Flight Award is at a point in time - take the car away and things can get changed. LOTS of things can change in 15 years.
Including the judging knowledge. 1967 is on it's 5th edition as far as the Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide goes. I believe it was in its 2nd or 3rd edition in 1998.

As others have suggested, have the car inspected by someone very knowledgeable in 1967 corvettes.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A mini rant if I may-

Although a small minority, there are those out there who prey upon potential buyer's lack of knowledge by running a car through the judging system just to get a Flight award. This is done purely to boost the resale value of the car through some supposed acquired 'credibility'. The judging system was designed more to support the grass root type enthusiast who wished to restore his own car to factory original and have it evaluated for comment by his peers. All for fun rather than profit.

It's just an unfortunate fact of life that there's always those that will turn such things into money making ventures by taking advantage of others.

The OP's friend is a classic example of 'assuming' what an award represents. If had a nickle for every time I've heard someone presume that 'Top Flight' means 'matching numbers' or 'original engine' or 'lacquer paint' or or or...........
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Sorry to miss it, I'll be at a Chapter meet on the other side of the country.

Looks like there's a lot of cars going to be under the judges eyes this weekend! Have a great show!

WB

Get notified of new replies

To Question for NCRS Judges or NCRS Officials

Quick Reply: Question for NCRS Judges or NCRS Officials