Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help in Determining my Paint Codes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Fine81
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help in Determining my Paint Codes!!!

I was wondering if I might get some help from the forum on this. My issue is trying to find out my paint codes. My 81 vette is 2-tone and was repainted about 5 yrs. ago. The person who had it repainted flip the colors on the car, charcoal now being on top and silver on the bottom. I was told that the colors were the original colors but were switched from top to bottom. With the research I have done shows the 2-tone vettes being produced only in Bowling Green but my Vin# shows the car produced in St. Louis(It's very possible I could be wrong). I don't find anything that shows 2-tones being built in St. Louis. I found the 33/39 Silver/Charcoal being built in Bowling Green. The only code I can find on the car is #84 Charcoal Metallic which came out of St. Louis and all the paint codes I find says that #13 Silver Metallic (via internet) is the only silver produced in St.Louis.Please give me your input.
Attached Images      
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Is your trim plate still attached in your driver's side door jam?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I don't know how it came from the factory...but I like it that way.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 AM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like your car was charcoal metallic from the factory...someone added the two-tone along the way.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Post a pic of your trim tag or the codes from it.

Factory two tone cars had the lighter color over the top of the darker color with a three color tape stripe between the two colors. Your car has the darker over the lighter, obviously a repaint, but an extremely nice switch. Your stripes appear to be painted.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-18-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

The paint, in the photo, looks very nice. $$$$ to change it. Among a Corvette crowd, only a very few would know the colors were reversed. But I know the feeling. My 70, originally a grey/silver original color was repainted in red urethane. I've scrapped most of the red off. Painting my car in red did a lot of damage since the interior door wells, door hinges etc are all this horrible red..along with a tremendous amount of overspray everywhere. I particularly don't like the red because it looks like a cheap Earl Sheib paint job. The red has little gloss and the thick paint has done a lot of damage with overspray.

Get notified of new replies

To Help in Determining my Paint Codes!!!

Quick Reply: Help in Determining my Paint Codes!!!