Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Chip Repair Advice

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Chip Repair Advice

I parked on a down hill slope, caught a gust of wind when opening my driver's door, accidentally let go, and the door opened too far. With the momentum, the front edge struck the interior door hinge in the door frame. Pictures show a quarter-size chip. Fortunately, the chip seems to be "clean," and should fit back on perfectly.

The break appears to be mostly the bondo type door filler, and very little actual fiberglass. I was thinking of gluing, then feathering the edges with a light rubbing compound? Question is what type of adhesive should I try? I only want to do this once...
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM
spjrr
Advanced

Had this very thing happen years ago just days after new paint. Worked the chip so it fit as good as possible then glued it in place with super glue. Make sure to mask real close around it to control the super glue so it doesn't run down the door. Try the glue in a hidden area to see how it reacts to the paint that is on the car. After it cured for a day, lightly wet sanded with 3000 grit and rubbed it out. It was only noticable when a few inches away if you knew where to look.

Mark Smith
Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
kenko74
Racer

Default Thank you

Thanks Mark,
I've seen Gorilla Glue now makes a super glue. Was wondering how the stuff holds up to washings and weather?

I like how thin the super glues are--should not cause a proud fix problem.
David
Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Tudz
Instructor

The break appears to be purely body filler?

I'm not really sure what glues body filler together well, but my first guess would be epoxy glue. Mix up a batch, make sure you mix it good and proper or it won't set properly, apply it to the area and stick the broken chip in place and then wipe away excess while it's still curing.

That would be my first guess at least, someone else might have a better idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Chip Repair Advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Chip Repair Advice