Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil , I'm so confused

Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil , I'm so confused

Yes , I read the sticky and now I really don't know what to do . I have a 1978 L48 stock motor . My last oil change we used Wolfs head 5W30 with a Wix filter . Man , I am really confused . I live in South Florida , hot all the time . Just don't want to ruin my engine .....
Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

And you think starting a new post will help?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
LOL......Looks like Rodney(Mike Ward) Dangerfield replied first.

I live in New Orleans---I understand "HOT".......

I don't complicate things...I use Valvoline or Castrol 10W-30 in all my cars (the '36/350SBC Pickup currently has 216,000 miles on it. (It started puffing smoke on start-up at 200,000 miles---I changed the valve-stem seals--no more smoke). It uses 1/2 quart of oil every 4,000 miles.

So.....any quality oil will be good....I would change the oil & filter every 4,000 miles (I also change the filter itself & add a quart of oil halfway BETWEEN oil changes....doing so keeps the oil in very good shape until regular oil change time!

Synthetic oils are good also...you just don't have to change the oil as often( but I would still change the filter/add a quart between regular oil changes).

See...not complicated/not scarey.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:26 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doorgunner
LOL......Looks like Rodney(Mike Ward) Dangerfield replied first.

I live in New Orleans---I understand "HOT".......

I don't complicate things...I use Valvoline or Castrol 10W-30 in all my cars (the '36/350SBC Pickup currently has 216,000 miles on it. (It started puffing smoke on start-up at 200,000 miles---I changed the valve-stem seals--no more smoke). It uses 1/2 quart of oil every 4,000 miles.

So.....any quality oil will be good....I would change the oil & filter every 4,000 miles (I also change the filter itself & add a quart of oil halfway BETWEEN oil changes....doing so keeps the oil in very good shape until regular oil change time!

Synthetic oils are good also...you just don't have to change the oil as often( but I would still change the filter/add a quart between regular oil changes).

See...not complicated/not scarey.
Very good , thanks , Valvoline sounds good to me .....
Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

I figured if a couple of people chimed in on the oil they use I would be in better shape than I am in now .

That sticky was really confusing , ZDDP and detergent and whatever else sent me for a spin .....
Old 11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
I figured if a couple of people chimed in on the oil they use I would be in better shape than I am in now .

That sticky was really confusing , ZDDP and detergent and whatever else sent me for a spin .....
You are not the only one it was confusing to.

I have an 81 and I would hate to do anything to hurt the flat tappet engine. Anymore stories of flat tappet cammed engines running fine on todays oils would be welcomed.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by phinfan
You are not the only one it was confusing to.

I have an 81 and I would hate to do anything to hurt the flat tappet engine. Anymore stories of flat tappet cammed engines running fine on todays oils would be welcomed.
Read the sticky to find out why ZDDP is important and most off the shelf latest generation oils are not adequate.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Castrol GTX 10W-30 and a little ZDDP help at each oil change. EBay is the source. Works for me.

PS - This thread just reminded me I am out of basement stock on ZDDP. Just ordered enough for the next two years from EBay.

Last edited by Paul L; 11-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Any oil with the API SN / GF-5 is going to be way better than what was in your car when it was new (SD).
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I use Amsoil 10W40. " HIGH ZINC " Motor Oil In both of my vintage cars.... Not cheap. , but I trust the product to be as advertised.

Note: There are a bunch of different Amsoil Oils for various applications.......if you choose to use Amsoil Motor Oil , be certain the label indicates the "HI ZINC " formula !

Have fun!

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 11-03-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Griff2002
Any oil with the API SN / GF-5 is going to be way better than what was in your car when it was new (SD).
OK, I am getting out of here early. Have a fun debate.

You are speaking of dexos1 designed for modern cars with roller everything. I have one (a Cruze Turbo). Great oil for them, not flat tappets.

Last edited by Paul L; 11-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74
OK, I am getting out of here early. You are speaking of dexos1 designed for modern cars with roller everything. I have one. Great oil for them, not flat tappets.
Yup, right back to square one.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you worry about the oil in your daily driver? I bet the engine in that would be twice as much to replace as the ole C3 350. Just use a qood quality oil, just as you would in your other cars. Al
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Yup, right back to square one.
Yes Mike,

I only stated what works for me. With the 1974 I have never had any problems with the ZDDP added to the Castrol. Of course I only drive ~1,500 miles each year and the oil hardly gets dirty or the ZDDP depleted. Then I change again.

With the Cruze my GM warranty will be voided if I do not use the dexos1 semi-synthetic. GM seems to be moving away from Mobil 1 synthetic for some reason. Interesting market move. Use their oil, or licensed equivalent to them (royalty paid), or kiss your warranty good-bye. Last time I looked, Amsoil and Valvoline told GM to take a hike.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by alswagg
Do you worry about the oil in your daily driver? I bet the engine in that would be twice as much to replace as the ole C3 350. Just use a qood quality oil, just as you would in your other cars. Al
Most modern oils don't have the safe mount zinc for flat tappets . Period.

So ....I would never use cheapy oil in a old engines I cared about internally the parts are not the same. As new engine.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74
Yes Mike,

I only stated what works for me..
I know, and was agreeing with on your comment about modern (dexos for example) oils not being suitable for flat tappet engines.

Guess I'm amazed that despite multiple threads and sticky explaining WHY such 'regular' oil is not sufficient, the same old bad advice keeps being repeated.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odd, how we use the same oil in all of our marine applications. From 1965 to 2014 These are engines which get run hard all summer at high rpm's consistantly. 3,500 to 5,700 rpm all day long. I also use the same oil in all of our shop trucks as well as the ole 80 Vette. Maybe our Marine 15W40 oil already has high Zinc content??? Who knows. I do know we have Marine engines with over 4,000 hrs and our shop trucks range from 128k, 254k, and 338k, miles. All on original engines. Oh, ya the 80 vette has 116k miles. I have put on 28k miles myself. Hmmm. Al

Get notified of new replies

To oil , I'm so confused

Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I know, and was agreeing with on your comment about modern (dexos for example) oils not being suitable for flat tappet engines.

Guess I'm amazed that despite multiple threads and sticky explaining WHY such 'regular' oil is not sufficient, the same old bad advice keeps being repeated.
Newer is not better for old cars.

BTW, that Cruze LT is a really treat for my grocery-getter city driving. That's all I do these days. I've had it almost 5 months from new in June. It's pretty spunky for a 1.4L engine.

Only 2,400km so far (1,500 miles). The oil life monitor says 60% left but I will do the first oil change in early December. Dexos1 of course at the GM dealer. I guess we can leave the days of changing oil on initial purchase at 1,000 miles to get rid of casting shavings long behind us. OnStar says 6,600km but I don't believe that source for a moment. Before the big freeze comes that factory oil is out of there.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the sticky to find out why ZDDP is important and most off the shelf latest generation oils are not adequate.
That is the point of this thread, I READ the sticky, and there is information in it that contradicts itself, including info saying using the zddp additive doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do.

So I was wondering if there were some stories of flat tappet engines running forever on modern oils...sorry if I confused anyone, I did do the research, and there are arguments on both sides
Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phinfan
That is the point of this thread, I READ the sticky, and there is information in it that contradicts itself, including info saying using the zddp additive doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do.

So I was wondering if there were some stories of flat tappet engines running forever on modern oils...sorry if I confused anyone, I did do the research, and there are arguments on both sides
I expressed my side of the story above. I am not confused. I just add the ZDDP to the Castrol 10W-30 GTX and keep driving, year after year. Now if you could add such ZDDP protection to heater cores I would be much happier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil , I'm so confused