Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice please

Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 AM
navyitchief
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please

A new addition to my collection is a 1973 convertible. It is a total project with lots of work to be done. The car has NO interior. I have a huge decision to make and I'm hoping I can gain advice from some of you.

The car trim tag is 425/976 so it is a red on red convertible. I always like to stay original but I'm already lacking that on this project as the engine is a 1969 small block 350. So, the value has already dropped a lot due to that. Or has it? With that in mind I was wondering if it was worth keeping the red/red original? I have not seen that many as most that I've seen have black interior.

I have complete saddle interior but I don't think the seats are original as they are dark brown leather. Was that common?

Is this a lost cause for originality since the engine does not match? I have not checked the transmission (automatic) yet.

If it destroys the value as a numbers matching car, I've thought about going all out and doing the car how I want it. I already have another numbers matching C3 so it is not that much of a heartache. But I really like the Blue (78 blue metallic) with the doeskin interior. Red with the same interior is not bad either. Either way I want and a 454 big block with a 4 speed transmission.

Bottom line, with the engine not original; should I scarp with originality and build what I want? Some may say do what I want but originality is more important than what I want.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM
calif phil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build it how you want it.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
langg
Racer

Build it like you want it and enjoy the build and driving it.

langg
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default IMHO, agree and do what you want.

IMHO, agree and do what you want.

I think the first question on originality is whether you have the original engine/trans since those have the vin derivative. All of the other parts can be found for lots of money. Body trim tab originality vrs color, I think is less important.

So, the good news is since this Corvette is never going to be "numbers matching", I think you are free to do what you want. This is actually a liberating thing, so you can do what you want. If you are interested in the marketability of the Corvette after you are ready to pass it on to the next person, just choose colors and combinations that are popular. Big blocks are always popular too!

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you want the saddle, go with the saddle. John Q. Public could look at your trim tag and never know the car left the factory with a red interior.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It will only ever be worth a fraction of what you invest in it(even if it was a numbers matching car),so go ahead and build it as you like.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:54 AM
navyitchief
3rd Gear

Thanks all for the helpful information. I think I will build it as I want. Would nice to drop that Chevrolet LSX 454 crate motor I just on the main page over in it.

Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Now we talking!

Originally Posted by navyitchief
Thanks all for the helpful information. I think I will build it as I want. Would nice to drop that Chevrolet LSX 454 crate motor I just on the main page over in it.

Thanks again.
Now we are talking!

IMHO, All new modern engine, 5spd, cleaned up great and new nice finishes, will attract a higher value in the market place, I think not the same as all original, but maybe not that far behind either.

Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Advice please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice please