Sponsored by:

Tips for buying a good C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Tips for buying a good C3

It's probably premature for me to be buying, but I'm in research mode. At this moment in time, the 1979 L82 T-top seems to be the one ringing my bell, not sure if I'm manual or auto yet for this period - would need to drive both first.

So, lets say hypothetically that's the year/model I decide on. I've already been doing lots of searching, through this forums sell thread, and probably about 30 links I've found on C3's for sale on the internet.

I'm not "yet" a mechanic, and understand I need to get my hands dirty which is fine by me, if I want to indulge in an older vehicle. But lets say I want to start with something at least fun and driveable to start.

I don't know if it's better to look for low original miles (or whether to trust that they are original), or go for something lightly or highly tinkered with and not care about original miles. If looking for rebuilt areas, which are preferable to have rebuilt? Not looking for an investment, so don't know if I care about numbers matching, especially for these years (possibly '80 as well) that that are so many of, and aren't reported to be the best investment years! Do know that of the handful I've found and really liked and emailed on, no one has gotten back to me - so is that to assume they've sold already, or were never there, or ? Then finding lots priced higher than I'd think they would be, especially for not matching numbers in these years.

I wouldn't think people would race to grab these cars as soon as they are posted - but am I incorrect here? Once I commit to buying, do I have to be fast or lose out, or can I take my time? Then, it also seems challenging on the internet sites I've found to find cars in state, and especially within driving distance. Am I missing out not looking on craigslist? Do people use ebay? If you were looking, where would you go?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 AM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I window-shopped using all manner of sites: corvetteforum for-sale page, ebay, etc. I finally found the '80 I purchased locally via craigslist however. I never got the feeling that the years I was looking at ('80-82) sold all that quickly. As you said many folks start with a list price higher than most will pay (and I still feel older Vettes are more of a niche car with fewer buyers).
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello being in research mode is good. Learn as much as you can about the car you want. I was in research mode for 14 1/2 years before I bought mine last week. Find the nicest restored car at the best price. Sale times vary. I have seen cars on sale for years and others sold in a day or two. The car I bought was on the market for a few days. If you find a car you really like have it inspected and have your budget set. If it meets expectations buy it. Look locally and long distance. People here are great when it comes to inspecting cars for other members. Did wonders for me. Look at the sites you suggested and consider joining the ncrs to have access to their classifieds called the driveline. Always nice cars in there. Hemmings and autotrader classics as well as usedcorvettes for sale sites are good but always get inspection. Oh and about emails not being returned. On cars you really like pick up the phone and CALL the seller. Many do not play pen pal games. Good luck!!!!

Last edited by theblackvette; 11-21-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: all three of mine were purchased locally; all three were numbers matching; none of the three were on Craig's List or listed in the newspaper. The 74 and the 80 only needed minor work; arguably the 68 was an embarassment at the time, but she was my first and remains my favorite.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You need to focus your attention on buying a car that is in very good mechanical condition. You need to see relatively recent (less than 5 years and/or 20K miles) repair documents...or receipts for the parts, if the owner did his own work...for suspension, steering and brakes, as a minimum! Secondly, you want the paint job to be in GOOD condition with no significant damage; you should be able to use touch-up paint for any small impefections/nicks. Paint jobs are expensive. Get one that already meets your requirements.

I agree that buying one from a private owner is better: you will know more about the car and you will get a much better price than buying one from a dealer.

I would recommend that you do "research" for about 1 year before ever looking to buy one. There is much to learn about what you really want and how to look for one "wisely". Don't move too fast, or you may end up with the 'wrong' car.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My advice...

You will be amazed at all the "low mileage" C3s for sale. Apparently no one ever drove these cars much...

Ahem .... Bull S....

If they are lying about the mileage, then what else are they lying about? If they have VERY good documentation to back up the low mileage claim, then its all good. Chances are however they won't

Don't fall in love the the first one you look at. Be willing to look at it with a critical eye.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I sent you a PM this morning, my 79 is still up for sale but I have delisted in on the other sites till spring. What part of the country are you located in?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

I'm so glad I posted here, and thank you so much for your feedback. I feel I'm getting REALLY good advice. HAHA - I think it'll be sooner than 14 years for me blackvette, but 1 year of research sounds extremely reasonable. And I need to drive a few different years, and get beyond the "looks" only, and get a sense of what they drive like. Like the L48 versus the L82, the auto versus manual, the 79 versus, 80 and 81. Not exactly sure about how to go about this yet, but know I need to join my local corvette club and hopefully that will present me with some opportunities.

More feedback VERY welcome and appreciated.

CA SF bay area for RTG.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Always take your time . And I always pick a model and year before I car shop. That makes it easier to compare one to the other.

Look on this site for common issues , like rotted frames , bad trailing arms , bird cage condition ect ect ect .. I know the first 3 I looked at in my area all had frame issues covered by generous amounts of under coating lol...

SO your on your way , 79 is a good year ,, Now find a few colors you would be happy with and have at it !! And usually these cars sit a long time for sale . a very long time ..
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I'm so glad I posted here, and thank you so much for your feedback. I feel I'm getting REALLY good advice. HAHA - I think it'll be sooner than 14 years for me blackvette, but 1 year of research sounds extremely reasonable. And I need to drive a few different years, and get beyond the "looks" only, and get a sense of what they drive like. Like the L48 versus the L82, the auto versus manual, the 79 versus, 80 and 81. Not exactly sure about how to go about this yet, but know I need to join my local corvette club and hopefully that will present me with some opportunities.

More feedback VERY welcome and appreciated.

CA SF bay area for RTG.
HAHA! Now keep in mind while I was going bonkers all those years for a 1971 I still owned several present day corvettes. I demanded perfection in my classic corvette and I limited my selection to ONE model year WITH so many limitations. I always wanted a 454 and decided towards the end of the search I would open it up to getting a LT-1. But, I stuck it out and got the 454 I always wanted and in my favorite color combination to boot as well.

I understand what you are going through. I can surely say, "been there done that" Any questions on how to deal with creepy dealers or how to negotiate feel free to ask me. As for whether or not the car is in nice shape, ALWAYS hire an experienced inspector.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Ratfinkharley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get documentation including the receipt for the reproduction window/tank sticker.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Jbilroy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first Corvette 2 months ago. Imho, your budget and expectations dictate your research. You can look at the cleanest and best restored ones all you want but they could be 3 times your savings.
I refused to take a loan on a 3rd car, which left my budget under 10k and my comfort level at 6k. Ultimately I found a car I love and was at my comfort level.
Look for what is important to you. Don't limit yourself to just one listing agency. I looked EVERYWHERE for the right fit. I ended up driving 4 hours away and bought it for probably 20% less due to the location. Found it at a small dealer who listed on cargurus.com

Have you driven a corvette? Drive several, even if you don't think it is one you would buy.
If you don't care about originality, I would pay less attention to the engine type, you can always mod or even swap.
Are you garaging it? If you aren't then the paint/body may not be as important to you because it WILL get nicked up, no matter how hard you try to protect it.

Lastly, are you buying your dream car or your dream corvette? I bought my dream car and just my first corvette. I call it my starter corvette, it isn't perfect but it is entry level and hopefully in a few years I can trade or sell it and get another one closer to my dream.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

If you purchase a C3, you will want to buy 'collector car' insurance for it...NOT a regular insurance policy. (There are lots of archived threads here to explain why.) Better coverage & less expensive.

But, such coverage requires that you have it garaged when not in use. Just a "head's up" for you....
Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

LOVING it! Thank you SO much. Our garage had been turned into an apartment (without our knowledge) when we rented it for a while, so now have to re-turn it into a garage. Then, need to figure out how to get 5 vehicles into a 2 car garage that will be modified to hold 3 cars. Just curious - will these cars withstand being outside (california) good quality car covers, or really need to be IN the garage. Cause I can make that happen if I need to - who cares about the non-corvette daily driver, or the truck that pulls the horse trailer.

Also, low miles (e.g. <50K, versus mid mileage (50->99K), vs higher mileage (100+ k), versus unknown and new engine). Is the way the car has been kept, and work done to it more important than the actual miles driven at this point, or does every mile wear and tear to the extend that it's really better to go after low (actual low) miles. I'm sure there is no "1" answer to this, but thoughts about it appreciated.

And, it seems obvious that a car beat to heck with 6000K miles has gone over the 6 digit mark. But when you have a 30/40K mile car that looks super good - how do you know if it's actually a 130/140K car? Novice questions I know, but thanks in advance for your patience!!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

If the cars are insured by a collector car insuror, they must be "garaged" when not in use. If they are 'outside' and something happens to them and you turn in a claim, the investigators WILL quiz your neighbors to determine if you garage them or not. And, if you don't, any claim will be denied.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

post an ad in the regional section see if some members would be open to taking you for a ride or letting you take theirs for a spin.
as said you gotta drive these things first to see if you even like them.
Ex:
My girl has been hot for a 450sl for a long time. Finally went and looked at some, drove one broke her heart when she realized they were poorly built pos. No longer wants..
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I'll sum it up in one word. Patience! Oh did I say Patience?
All joking a side. You have been given lots of very good advice. Take your time and find the right car for you. You want to have fun driving your Corvette not regrets.
Good luck in your search!

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for buying a good C3

Old 11-23-2013, 08:25 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I'll sum it up in one word. Patience! Oh did I say Patience?
All joking a side. You have been given lots of very good advice. Take your time and find the right car for you. You want to have fun driving your Corvette not regrets.
Good luck in your search!

Learn about all the years and then decide what you want and can afford. Find a friend and help work on one to wrap your mind around these things.

DO NOT BUY A FIXER UPPER unless you are ready to dedicate your life to it. I know this all to well. This C3 is my 4th vette. I jumped in the deep end of the pool and figured out that I couldn't swim.

Be PATIENT. They will not sell out by Friday.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,393 Posts

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it as you walk away..... you bought the wrong one :-)
Old 11-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
...DO NOT BUY A FIXER UPPER...
I can't quite agree with that...

...unless you are ready to dedicate your life to it...
...but you nailed that part of it.

...I know this all to well...
Me too. One of those I Did It Once But Will Not Do It Again things.

Quick Reply: Tips for buying a good C3