C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 79 driver's mirror be removed with the glass in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:10 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Default Can a 79 driver's mirror be removed with the glass in?

My mirror is loose on the pedestal, so it shakes around when I'm driving. I had the mirrors off when the car was painted, but the door glass was out, so it was no problem. I'd really like to not have to remove the glass to take the mirror off. Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Cjustin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unfortunately if it is the sport mirrors the glass has to come out. I tried a few different things and came close but no cigar.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
...Any ideas?...
Your only hope is to be able to lower the door glass far enough to get to the mirror nuts. You may have some wiggle room on the lower stops.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

That's what I was afraid of. Ye's it's a sport mirror, and by my recollection from when the mirrors came off in '06 for paint, I was afraid the only way was with the glass coming out.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM
kschulen
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to get my sport mirrors out without removing the door glass. I just finished painting mine all up as well. Door glass was left in just covered up really well.

If you lower the window all the way and remove the 2 window felt things (cant remember what they are called), this should give you enough room to get a socket in there to get them out.....it takes time but is doable. The trick is to make sure you have a thinner socket wrench then normal. I picked up one of those 2 headed ones from HF that swivel....i swear they were made for this

I am in the process of putting my doors back together and have to put mine back on...i have had them off and on a few times and removed/installed every time with the glass in.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

kschulen, thanks!!!! I wonder if a ratcheting box end would do the trick as well? I'll have to give it a shot. I'm guessing by removing the window felts, the glass can lay over enough to the inside that you just can get your ratchet in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a 79 driver's mirror be removed with the glass in?

Quick Reply: Can a 79 driver's mirror be removed with the glass in?