Body Panel Bonding

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:08 AM
luisv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Body Panel Bonding

For those that may not know... We are working on a 1977 restomod. We completely disassembled the car down to the frame. My project is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...storation.html

OK... So I am coming to the point where I am finishing off the fiberglass work on a few parts that will permit me to get some body panels adhered back onto the frame and birdcage. Specifically the firewall, the rear clip and bonding strips to get it onto the birdcage.

Question I have is on the adhesive for the process. I am looking for both adhesives. Metal (powder coated) to the fiberglass panels and fiberglass to fiberglass. The latter is for the bonding strips, replacement of panels etc.

I was told by a reputable Corvette body part manufacturer that they have been using Valvoline Pliogrip with great success. The link to the stuff is here:

http://www.pliogripbyvalvoline.com/panel_bonding.html

Question I have... is there something better? What options are there?

If any of you have had the experience with something else, I'd love to hear it.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

The product you linked looks promising, especially if recommended by a Fiberglass part manufacturer.

I've been using evercoat maxim, product 100813. I have bonded fiberglass to fiberglass and metal to fiberglass. Very soon I will be using it to bond a new door skin to to metal frame.

Some folks swear Lord fusor is the stuff to use. I suspect chemically they are similar.

If you use evercoat a proper gun is required, save some money and get 1 from Eastwood. Much cheaper and it's a nice caulk gun.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:08 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your neighbours not complain about working in your front driveway for a long time?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread has peaked my interest because I too will be ready to start bonding my front and rear clips to the Bird Cage next summer. One comment though... my Bird Cage is presently at the Corvette Shop ungoing some repairs. I went to the shop three weeks ago to inspect the work. Anyways, to save me some time I'm having the shop reattach the firewall before I pick it up. The manager told me that prior to bonding the firewall back on, they'll gently sand away the powder coat on the Bird Cage where the firewall attaches to it. Leave the primer coat, but take away the powder coat. He told me that when I bond the clips back on, I should do the same. He doesn't recommend bonding directly to the powder coat. Makes sense to me, but I'm curious if that opinion is shared here. And I'll most certainly be following the advice on this thread about what adhesive to use.

Last edited by 80Baby; 11-28-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

We used "Marine Tex" and it works well for both fiberglass<->fiberglass as well as fiberglass<->metal. It does not require any applicator and is available at most auto paint supply stores.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 80Baby
...they'll gently sand away the powder coat on the Bird Cage where the firewall attaches to it. Leave the primer coat, but take away the powder coat...
It is my understanding factory birdcages were not powder coated. Is the powder coat something you asked them to do?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 AM
luisv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
Do your neighbours not complain about working in your front driveway for a long time?
Thankfully no. Truth is though. Most of the real work has been done in the back. For example, sanding the body down. Fiberglass repair. The real heavy duty work has been farmed out. For example, the sandblasting of the frame, etc.

In the end, the car is really just being assembled up front. What they are "seeing" is the adding of shiny new parts. Regardless, I tend to put up a tent and side panels. In reality, not much is "seen". I am as considerate as possible.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM
luisv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 80Baby
This thread has peaked my interest because I too will be ready to start bonding my front and rear clips to the Bird Cage next summer. One comment though... my Bird Cage is presently at the Corvette Shop ungoing some repairs. I went to the shop three weeks ago to inspect the work. Anyways, to save me some time I'm having the shop reattach the firewall before I pick it up. The manager told me that prior to bonding the firewall back on, they'll gently sand away the powder coat on the Bird Cage where the firewall attaches to it. Leave the primer coat, but take away the powder coat. He told me that when I bond the clips back on, I should do the same. He doesn't recommend bonding directly to the powder coat. Makes sense to me, but I'm curious if that opinion is shared here. And I'll most certainly be following the advice on this thread about what adhesive to use.

What I would do is ask the person that powder coated the cage. I say this because it likely depends on the product. I do plan on scuffing the finish for better adhesion but I don't think I'd go down to the primer. Remember that the metal to glass bonding is always supported with rivets.

Your question did make me curious though. I will ask my powder coater.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
It is my understanding factory birdcages were not powder coated. Is the powder coat something you asked them to do?
Yes, from factory they are painted, not powder coated. I don't know about 80Baby, but in my case, I wanted the extra protection it gave me. I also sprayed the interior of the frame and cage with rust converter from Eastwood. Great product.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
luisv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
The product you linked looks promising, especially if recommended by a Fiberglass part manufacturer.

I've been using evercoat maxim, product 100813. I have bonded fiberglass to fiberglass and metal to fiberglass. Very soon I will be using it to bond a new door skin to to metal frame.

Some folks swear Lord fusor is the stuff to use. I suspect chemically they are similar.

If you use evercoat a proper gun is required, save some money and get 1 from Eastwood. Much cheaper and it's a nice caulk gun.
Thanks! I'll look it up and see which seems better to work with.

Awesome!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a body/paint section where products are often discussed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/paint-body-138/
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
There is a body/paint section where products are often discussed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/paint-body-138/
Thanks for posting that! I didn't know that section existed, it'll be a big help.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Panel Bonding

Quick Reply: Body Panel Bonding