Sponsored by:

Painting aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Legend73
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting aluminum radiator

I just got a Dewitt's unpainted aluminum radiator with the plan to paint it myself. Does anyone have a recommendation for a paint brand? I was thinking a flat finish or possibly satin. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Legend73
I just got a Dewitt's unpainted aluminum radiator with the plan to paint it myself. Does anyone have a recommendation for a paint brand? I was thinking a flat finish or possibly satin. Thanks!
Semi gloss or satin.......
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Wouldnt the radiator transfer heat more efficiently if left unpainted and is there any drawback to leaving it unpainted?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Legend73
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it probably is more efficient unpainted, but I want the stock look.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

I think it probably is more efficient unpainted, but I want the stock look.
Plus.......aluminum tarnishes fairly fast....just try to put a light coat on the cooling fins....and use an aluminum compatible primer on the tanks to avoid paint peeling.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a "special" paint for painting radiators it coats thinner. I know Eastwood sells one. You might ask Dewitt what they recommend.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I used Eastwood's Radiator Black Paint on mine. It is a special high temperature lacquer for radiators that does not clog the core like enamel would. So far, so good, 10+ years.

Here: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rad...ack-paint.html
Old 12-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Roco71
...You might ask Dewitt what they recommend...
Bingo.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Paint Preventing Heat Transfer

I hear this all the time on forums that painting engine components or in this case a radiator somehow inhibits heat transfer. Well, I am not an engineer but I think it sound like B.S. Harley Davidson has been painting their air cooled engines for years, way back to the early days. Considering they have always had to deal with heat, it would seem unlikely they would paint the cylinders if it truly had an affect on heat.

Same with our 350 engines, GM painted the entire engine, and I intend to paint my aluminum cylinders and intake manifold, and don't believe it will make an ounce difference in engine temperature.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes, I have an opinion. Don't do it. You will only help to insulate those fins so that the radiator is less efficient. You would be better off just CLEANING the fins with something that will not damage/eat them.

But, that's only my opinion....
Old 12-14-2013, 08:30 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 12-14-2013, 11:19 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

For future reference, DeWitt will paint their radiator before shipment for a slight extra charge....
Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Paint the tanks...paint the fittings....don't paint the fins.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I hear this all the time on forums that painting engine components or in this case a radiator somehow inhibits heat transfer. Well, I am not an engineer but I think it sound like B.S. Harley Davidson has been painting their air cooled engines for years, way back to the early days. Considering they have always had to deal with heat, it would seem unlikely they would paint the cylinders if it truly had an affect on heat.

Same with our 350 engines, GM painted the entire engine, and I intend to paint my aluminum cylinders and intake manifold, and don't believe it will make an ounce difference in engine temperature.
I'm going to agree with you on this one People post their gut feelings but have no real data to back it up. It sounds logical that paint would reduce the heat transfer of a radiator but the surfaces that you paint to not transfer heat. It is the tube-to-fin area that does this and it's almost impossible to coat that area but the paint goes right through the core. We've painted many radiator and cut some open to see what happens inside and there is no coverage where it counts. The only way to could hurt a radiator performance is if you were to dip paint the radiator. This would soak up a lot of paint and clog the core.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I'm going to agree with you on this one People post their gut feelings but have no real data to back it up. It sounds logical that paint would reduce the heat transfer of a radiator but the surfaces that you paint to not transfer heat. It is the tube-to-fin area that does this and it's almost impossible to coat that area but the paint goes right through the core. We've painted many radiator and cut some open to see what happens inside and there is no coverage where it counts. The only way to could hurt a radiator performance is if you were to dip paint the radiator. This would soak up a lot of paint and clog the core.
Hi Tom
Do you have a recommendation on what type of paint to use? Does it make a difference?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Roco71
Hi Tom
Do you have a recommendation on what type of paint to use? Does it make a difference?
Actually I do. We just made the decision to package and sell our custom formula Black Ice. We are going to be offering a pint kit (two half pints) that is about enough to paint a radiator twice. The cost is $39.95

It is the only paint will bond to the aluminum and never peel off. This formula also can be used on bare steel, without the need for primer, for suspension parts. The simply mix equal parts A and B, wait 15 minutes, and spray with a spray gun. Clean up with laquer thinner
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I'm just trying to figure out WHY one would want to paint the radiator fin area (if not already painted)? In a C3, you can't really see any of it, unless you have the hood opened; and then, you can only see the rear of it...or the part that is visible via openings in the radiator shroud.

Paying $40 [or, for that matter, anything!] smacks of trying to sell someone a book titled "HOW NOT TO BE GULLIBLE" for ONLY $39.95. You buy the book and open it only to find out it has only one line of print:

"You shouldn't have bought this book."
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I'm just trying to figure out WHY one would want to paint the radiator fin area
You don't have to paint the fin area if you don't want too. The main reason one might want to paint the radiator is to give it a more OE look. If someone is doing a ncrs car, they might want the cooling of aluminum but the look of copper/brass so it doesn't draw a lot of attention. See how much black changes things

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 12-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting aluminum radiator

Quick Reply: Painting aluminum radiator