C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The NCRS "I Want To Get My Car Judged Thread" (at the bar)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The NCRS "I Want To Get My Car Judged Thread" (at the bar)

Well, I decided to start a thread for those who wish to INFORMALLY discuss having your car judged at an NCRS event. Yes there is a discussion forum at the NCRS site. It serves a great purpose but it gets so technical (as it should be over there) and can be hard for some to relate. If you are the type of being all serious 24/7/365 then this may not be the place for you. Live a little and have a few drinks and relax!

This is designed to be a "lighten up francis" thread where we can share thoughts and ideas about getting your car judged and have fun discussing the cars. It is NOT a thread to bash the NCRS or the thought of getting judged. If you are not having your car judged but are interested in helping out, by giving thoughtful insight, and participating by all means join in. It will also help others find items they are looking for to increase their chances for a better score.

Of course anyone can chime in. It is about learning but having a little twist on things.

I'll start. As you know I finally picked up my dream car. It is a pure driver right now. (not daily of course) but I am running it quite often. I lost count of the number of compliments I have received on my car. I am attending my first NCRS event and have already come to the conclusion prior to my first meet that I would like to begin preparing my car for its first judging meet. It will be a chapter meet and my goal is to see what it is like to feel like being judged, learning the process, and having fun!!!!! I would be so excited to receive a SECOND flight on my first go around. That is what I am shooting for. A RED ribbon for a RED car.

I have officially cracked open the judging manual and so far it is quite easy to follow. I have already found things that I need to do to get things corrected. I plan on changing the obvious at the least cost possible. I plan on getting a baseline where I am for the car, but I am going to change out obvious items.

My initial thought was to purchase the caps and rings (originals). I discovered from the judging manual I have reproductions. I know this because there are grippers around the entire circumference of the rings. That is a repro. Well I go to find out how much money they are. UGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Well in reading the manual I find that you can also have P02s as your covers. The judges do not require a build sheet. So they do not know or care if the P02s came with your car. I bought a set of P02s because I love them on the car. This means I take off the trims and rings and toss them on the shelf in the garage and forget about them. So I am halfway there. I need to find the proper valve extension stems and I have homed on a set. Working on purchasing. So with that said, I plan on going to the judging event with the P02s and leaving the trims and rings for the birds.

I am also on a search for a RC-26. There appeared to be one in the car when I got it. The inside was all busted off and leaking and in bad shape. So I now have some other type on the car. But it is not correct. I am looking for an original one. But they are ridiculously expensive. Someone let me know that there is a repro that looks very close and I actually had a gift certificate and used it for the time being. The funny thing is if you look at the drawing in the manual it doesn't look like the original. The RC-26 and #15 is drawn vertically in the manual but the originals have it horizontal. The manual appears incorrect.

Next on my list is finding the carb that goes to my car. I have a quadrajet but it is for an automatic 454. I am looking for a date correct one for a manual. In the process discussion with a shop about finding me one.

It appears my alternator is not original and is a replacement. I am checking out original ones and plan on getting that taken care of.

I just replaced the blue federal certification sticker. It looks real good but nonetheless a reproduction.

I an having an issue with the passenger door lock. The key will not UNLOCK the door. I hear it can be fixed but this involved tearing the door apart. I don't think I am ready to get into fixing that yet.

There are probably 50 other things about the car that are not right. Small stuff and will deal with them "whenever" Whatever I can correct wonderful and will simply show up with what I have when I run out of time.

I am not gonna sweat the small stuff. It is what it is. I love this car and if I can get a ribbon on my first try that will be so awesome. I want my name on the certificate. It is easy to buy a car with an award with someone elses name on it. I want my name on it so I can say I did it!!!!!!!!

Others feel free to chime in on your plans/history and pictures of your cars!

And remember!!!!!!!!! This is VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
gjhinc (10-13-2018)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I believe you get extra points for having a:
Fire extinguisher, Battery cutoff switch, NCRS sticker
If I think of any more easy-peasy ones...I'll come back and post them.
Regards
Roy
PS never had my car judged, but after hearing how your experience goes, I just might.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rvazquez
I believe you get extra points for having a:
Fire extinguisher, Battery cutoff switch, NCRS sticker
If I think of any more easy-peasy ones...I'll come back and post them.
Regards
Roy
PS never had my car judged, but after hearing how your experience goes, I just might.
Yes sir!!!!

According to the Bonus Points section in Operations Section judging forms....

You get bonus for:

Everything you say above. It doesn't say how much bonus you get....

I do wonder if the fire extinguisher has to be mounted or can it be loose in a compartment? Also doesn't discuss size.....

I have a battery cutoff switch (right on the battery) and the NCRS sticker is attached to my popup window.

You also get some bonus points for driving the car to the event. I don't recall how many miles and how many bonus points you can get though.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

I dont think having it judged will make it look or drive any better, looks like a real nice car, just drive and enjoy it.

Last edited by LT-1 kid; 01-06-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: type o
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
I dont thing having it judged will make it look or drive any better, looks like a real nice car, just drive and enjoy it.
It is very simple!

I want to do BOTH!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:22 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Not really interested in judging, but I do applaud you for driving her and not having a trailer queen. Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by briankeery
Not really interested in judging, but I do applaud you for driving her and not having a trailer queen. Good luck in your quest.
Yep, I been driving it a lot! Here is the proof!

Pulled over already once. Hopefully, that will be the last time.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Why not just spit-shine the whole car top to bottom and just take it and get it judged as is? It sure looks great in the photos. Just go there and let the judges tell you what needs done and chip away at the things you feel comfortable doing, along with learning the process of judging and the whole vibe of the event.
It seems to me that getting a car to NCRS standards takes a lot of research, hard work and patience to get it right.
Good luck!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mick71
Why not just spit-shine the whole car top to bottom and just take it and get it judged as is? It sure looks great in the photos. Just go there and let the judges tell you what needs done and chip away at the things you feel comfortable doing, along with learning the process of judging and the whole vibe of the event.
It seems to me that getting a car to NCRS standards takes a lot of research, hard work and patience to get it right.
Good luck!
I like the spit shine technique. But I will make time for the obvious. Like putting the original radio back in. I am gonna have fun with this. I think my goals are reasonable and won't drive me any more crazy than I already am.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM
63vette427
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best way to do it is to make a list of all the items that you know that you need to replace. Items like tires, carb, alternator, starter, exhaust manifolds, intakes, distributor, seat belts, glass etc. These are all pretty easy things to check to see if they are originals. Once you have a list, start pricing out the items on the list. That will give you a small idea of the cost to get close to a top flight. Then you can decide if you want to put that much money into the car to achieve the award. For some it's worth it and to some it's not. It's a hobby and we all get something different out of it..
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Originally Posted by theblackvette
I am gonna have fun with this. I think my goals are reasonable
Sounds like a good start.
So when's the body coming off?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

You can download the judging sheets that will be used for your car on the NCRS website. When the judging sheets are used in conjunction with the judging guide, you can pre-judge your car yourself before the chapter meet. A dry run is always helpful.

The judging sheets will also help you allocate your dollars to items that will give you the most bang for the buck. Some judged items are only worth a point or two (but can be very expensive to replace).

Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 63vette427
I think the best way to do it is to make a list of all the items that you know that you need to replace. Items like tires, carb, alternator, starter, exhaust manifolds, intakes, distributor, seat belts, glass etc. These are all pretty easy things to check to see if they are originals. Once you have a list, start pricing out the items on the list. That will give you a small idea of the cost to get close to a top flight. Then you can decide if you want to put that much money into the car to achieve the award. For some it's worth it and to some it's not. It's a hobby and we all get something different out of it..
I know my seat belts are originals as all glass as well. Did I tell you I have my bag of seat shims on order? Haha
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MCMLXI
You can download the judging sheets that will be used for your car on the NCRS website. When the judging sheets are used in conjunction with the judging guide, you can pre-judge your car yourself before the chapter meet. A dry run is always helpful.

The judging sheets will also help you allocate your dollars to items that will give you the most bang for the buck. Some judged items are only worth a point or two (but can be very expensive to replace).

Yep got the sheets handy. And yeah that rc 26 is ridiculously priced. Very little points though and the repro could squeak by as it looks really good.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Flight Judging Prep

As you've already stated, you NEED to study the judging guide first. You can take the car to a chapter event and submit it for the learning experience or you can download judging sheets from the NCRS web site and give it a go on your own. I'd recommend the former vs the latter. Use the experience of the chapter members. They have already learned and are typically very happy to help others/noobies learn. I've had mine judged 3 times and have learned a ton each time.

When you do have the car judged, I'd recommend you focus most on the Operations section. Those are all pass/fail items and they're each worth 25 demerits (over half a judging point).

When deciding what to buy for the sake of judging, you might want to go through the judging experience BEFORE dropping big $$$ on new parts. There's the old adage "dollars per point" to consider.

Have confidence and take it to its first judging just the way it is. Learn more about your car. Learn more about NCRS and judging. THEN, develop your plan and pursue what makes sense and what makes you happy.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Judging

I am preparing to have mine judged for the first time this spring at a chapter meet. I am with you and hoping for a second flight too.

Now I am just a little further along than you are and had a lot of the same issues. I will spend the money for example on an NOS door panel just because I know the difference and only needed one. ($300) I decided that I wanted the interior as correct as possible so I bought all NOS stuff except for the seat covers and carpet. I would have bought those too except I could not find the parts. I am still looking for the correct heel pad for my carpet as well as seat covers.

Wait until you start to look at the the bolts and stuff. How about $30 for the correct alternator bolt. Ask how I know. At least is was properly re-plated for $30.

For me I love the search for the correct parts. I make a list of where they are and then decide how badly I want them. Sometimes I get lucky. Patience is your friend and based on how long you looked for your dream 72 vette you have that in spades I picked up a set of convertible rear quarter covers for $30. I had never seen them for less than $300. Now if I can just find that RC 15 radiator cap for $30.

Depending on the chapter they do give you a lot more slack than you would get at the Florida Regional. That meet may as well be the National meet for NCRS. Hope to get there some day.

Just do it slow and steady. I have been at it for over 7 years.

I never add up exactly what I have spent, That way when my wife asks I just don't know. Although I have a pretty good guess

Bill

BTW: I did not find it all that tough to take the doors apart. My Driver's side PW regulator was broken when I brought the car home.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mick71
Sounds like a good start.
So when's the body coming off?
Hell to the no!!!!! Body stays on. No craziness allowed! I am going easy. Next chapter meet is in the late spring. I will just play it out and take what comes my way.

Get notified of new replies

To The NCRS "I Want To Get My Car Judged Thread" (at the bar)

Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
I know my seat belts are originals as all glass as well. Did I tell you I have my bag of seat shims on order? Haha
Repro shims and bag?

I have my original shims and the repros are different. I understand you can get a pretty good shim bag.

Bill

Last edited by 1974ta; 01-06-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: subscribe to thread
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Marc, I saw all your "WTB" threads. I think you've touched on some major items/points. That carburetor and alternator will be big money though. I would suggest go through chapter judging before you worry about smaller points, like the radiator cap?

Also, what is your real interest in the car? During your search you were thinking maaaaybe NCRS down the road, but you've flipped on a dime. What I am trying to say - do what you want to do with the car. I am 100% behind the NCRS, I just hope you continue to drive and enjoy that car. You can do both with the NCRS, just don't lose your passion for driving it. Ever.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

FYI on your carb, it may not be a wrong application. The 7th digit of the carb usually denotes trans type. Even numbers are usually automatics, odd manuals. But....not always. You can find this info here.
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com...carb_ID_2.html

I've seen the same info other places while researching the 350 qjet. Ok you owe me a beer now. Lol.

Quick Reply: The NCRS "I Want To Get My Car Judged Thread" (at the bar)