Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weight index?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 AM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wheel weight index?

I am in need of new tires. Currently on BFG T/A's on the stock 15" rally wheels. The marble content in the roads here in Italy is pretty high and I have had at least one scary incident in each of my three vehicles under normal driving conditions. I have been looking for a tire with some more grip without going to a full on track only tire. Not a lot out there for the stock rally wheels. So I've been considering a 17" or 18" wheel. If at all possible I would like to lose weight, or at least minimize weight added. Tire rack had weight listed for a few of their wheels but overall I'm having a tough time finding this information. I found mention of a thread back in 2003 but was unable to find it in the archives. I'd love to find a list of different wheels and their weight to include stock. I've made a few inquiries online but have only gotten quotes back, no figures on weight. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Found this link and have you tried the wheel manufacturer's web site?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...l-weights.html
Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Rookie question: I realize reducing weight on suspension components is important and the type of tire material helps hold the road.....but wouldn't you also want heavier tires/rims to help grip the road?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

As a tire ages it looses quite a bit of it's grip as the rubber compound hardens.
Getting a tire with a soft compound and a wide patch on the ground might help more than reducing the weight.
I run the 255/60-15" cooper cobra tires. When I first put them on they were only 5 months old according to the manufacture date and pretty sticky. At one year they still have a pretty good grip. The tread seems good for dry traction as well, not sure about wet.
I would think marble is pretty slippery when wet, not sure what would grip better other than a snow tire.
That's an idea you could try sciping the tread for better traction.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Check out Wheel Vintiques,they have stock appearing wheels in larger diameters and in aluminum.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Rookie question: I realize reducing weight on suspension components is important and the type of tire material helps hold the road.....but wouldn't you also want heavier tires/rims to help grip the road?
Lighter is always better. Takes less energy to turn and reduces unsprung weight.

As an example, I replaced my wife's Mini Cooper's heavy Run Flats with standard rubber. The difference was amazing.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

I have tried numerous wheel manufacturer web sites and nada. The link above helps Melwiff, thanks! And yes I sprung weight is crucial. I read that for every one pound of weight added to the wheels it equals ten pounds of rotating weight. So let's say you add five pounds a wheel. That's twenty pounds overall and two hundred pounds when driving. Essentially like having an adult passenger in your car. Lighter is better.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

If the kind of driving you are engaged in is spirited or racing then unsprung weight such as the tires is important to performance in how the tire grips, rides over bumps, interacts with the suspension and how fast it can accelerate.
If were talking about regular driving then it's not going to matter much.
Suspension also becomes critical in spirited driving as does body roll,alignment, body flex etc., tires are one part of that equation.

What kind of driving are you considering? I just assumed normal cruising stuff with occasional straight line blasts.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

I want to get involved with some autocross and track day events when my time is up here in Italy. So most likely a lighter wheel with stickier tires is what I'm going for. I just have to find the weights now!

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel weight index?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel weight index?